General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-07-2008, 04:38 PM   #106  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

My brother had the Star Trek dolls and bridge set. I loved it, and played with it a lot more than he did. I know I (er, he) had Spock, McCoy, and Kirk, and I think Uhuru or maybe it was Scotty. I know there was one missing from the crew and I badly wanted it. Knowing my mom, I'm betting it was Uhura that was missing (she wouldn't have bought a girl doll for a boy).

I'm thinking my brother and I swapped for the set, because I rememember it was "mine" until Mom made us trade back (one day when he decided he wanted it back).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:55 PM   #107  
committed

S/C/G: 299/147/120

Height: 5'2"

I loved Ender's Game! I read the next one, Speaker for the Dead, then got halfway through the next, Xenocide, and quit. Just lost interest.

I loved Firefly and Serenity. Loved all the Star Treks except Enterprise. Not interested in vampires.

Did anybody else like (or remember) the series Earth 2? I loved that one! Anybody else read Anne McCaffrey books?
piper10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:26 AM   #108  
Token Vulcan

Okay...now that I've read the ENTIRE thread, lol, I've got more to say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblue View Post
Big Star Trek fan here, loved all the series, fell in love with Spock when I was about 9 and never really got over it. I have most of the books, including the very old rare collectible ones, the playcase and dolls, phasers, posters, models, comics.
I also enjoyed Dr. Who--the first few series, though. Star Wars was okay, couldn't really get into it.
I've never gotten over my TOS love either. My mother comments on how much William Shatner's appearance has changed and I tell her that, to me, he is always 34 year-old Captain Kirk in my heart. <3

I also have books and some paraphernalia, and the dolls as I mentioned before. Also have the Space:1999 books and tapes. I used to write stories a lot in my childhood and teen years, and one time I wrote a story where Captain Kirk and Commander Koenig (Martin Landau's character in Space:1999) were fighting over me. I used to sit on the floor and make a border of books around myself and pretend I was on the Enterprise.

When I was a kid, they were showing Tom Baker's Dr. Who. He's the only one I've ever seen. He was so unique and memorable that I actually had no desire to see another Dr. Who besides him.

Re Star Wars, I was so loyal to Trek growing up that I never saw the original trilogy at all (there was a lot of Star Trek vs Star Wars comparison going on at the time in the media, as I recall) until they re-released the films on what I think was the 20th or 25th anniversary or something. Then I thought I may as well go in and see what all the big deal had been about. So I finally saw the original 3 Star Wars movies and turned out they didn't hook me anyway. Never became a Star Wars fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCristo View Post
Just as an aside, I think it is just evil the prices they change for Star Trek. The only reason they sell for twice what a normal tv show would be is just because they are Star Trek. It is SO wrong!!
Has anyone seen Galaxy Quest with Tim Allen? If you are familiar with the original series you will just about die laughing!
I agree...Paramount is greedy. BTW, have you seen any of the remastered episodes on tv? I've caught a couple and I end up getting distracted by the changes. I'm like, wait, the ship didn't look like that or that sound effect wasn't there. I'm kinda ambivalent about the fact that they messed with it.

I have Galaxy Quest on tape and have seen it many times. It is funny. It can be pretty scathing when you think about it but, hey, I think Nimoy and Shatner, especially Shatner, can laugh all the way to the bank (and Emmy Awards ceremony) many times over. He's had several careers going on simultaneously. People can make fun of him all they want (and they do) but no need include him in any "where are they now?" features!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
like a light bulb went off in my head and I said "hey, this is pretty cool". My mom says it was one of the episodes where William Shatner had his shirt off that did it, don't know..
For Shannon.. Well...for anyone who appreciates....
trekkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:11 AM   #109  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

trekkie girl - No, I haven't seen any remastered episodes (don't have t.v., just DVD/VHS). I don't think I want to either, as I totally hate it when people mess with the original.
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:05 PM   #110  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

My brother had the models of the ships - Enterprise, a Vulcan and a Klingon ship. They hung in our basement and looked so cool!!!!

and I'm luvin that pic of James T. Kirk with no shirt. I wonder if he waxed his chest? It looks as smooth as a baby's butt!
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:56 PM   #111  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

piper10 - I didn't really love that side of the story either. I did however really enjoy the Shadow series that branched off of it. Enders Shadow was very good and the stories that came off of it in my opinion were better then the Ender side of the series. I am dying for the last one that is supposed to tie it all together.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:05 PM   #112  
Workin' It

trekkiegirl, nice Shatner pic! My mom may have been right, that might have been one of the reasons I started sticking around and watching with her!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:23 PM   #113  
Token Vulcan

Oh geez, I almost forgot...when I log my computer into Windows, Captain Kirk says "Space, the final frontier." When I shut down, he says "Disengage this computer now!"

Yeah, I got it bad.
trekkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:25 AM   #114  
committed

lizziep, thanks for the info -- I'll try the Shadow series!
Old 09-09-2008, 02:57 AM   #115  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkiegirl View Post
....to me, he is always 34 year-old Captain Kirk in my heart........

For Shannon.. Well...for anyone who appreciates....
Hubba hubba!

And I wholeheartedly agree about only seeing him as perpetually 34 yrs old. I was (regretably) watching "Generations" on cable the other day, and yes I could see that he's gotten older. But in my mind's eye, I could see sexy old Captain Kirk from TOS through it all.

And, once again, I got all worked up and furious over what they did to him in that movie!!!! Captain Kirk deserved a better send off than that!
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:32 AM   #116  
Workin' It

Apple - I read something at the time that there was originally a different ending that didn't go over well in test screenings, this one was the better one. Don't know if it is true or not, never actually researched it. I didn't really like the end myself, either... Though, he did get to make a difference, I wish it had been more of a 'going down swinging' kind of end...

Ellie - I had ST sounds for all of the windows sounds on my old computer - incoming message indicators, error messages, start up, shut down, all of them. When it finally died I didn't have the heart to put all the sounds into the new one, but I've been thinking about it more and more lately...
Old 09-09-2008, 02:50 PM   #117  
committed

Where do y'all get these Star Trek sounds for your computer?
Old 09-09-2008, 03:06 PM   #118  
Workin' It

I got mine from a website called something like "Star Trek Sounds and Music" or somesuch, don't think it even exists anymore... I'm going to look around for more and will let you know...
Old 09-09-2008, 06:17 PM   #119  
Future Glamazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Apple - I read something at the time that there was originally a different ending that didn't go over well in test screenings, this one was the better one. Don't know if it is true or not, never actually researched it. I didn't really like the end myself, either... Though, he did get to make a difference, I wish it had been more of a 'going down swinging' kind of end...
I've seen a bit of the alternate ending.... and if you click the link, you can see it too. (The "new" footage starts at about the 1:45 mark)

Click here to see it!

If this is really the fault of a "test audience," then they must have pulled random people from the mall who knew next to nothing about the show.

Last edited by Apple Cheeks; 09-09-2008 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:15 PM   #120  
Future Glamazon

Since my last post no one else has come along on this thread, so I guess this means I'm a.....

Last edited by Apple Cheeks; 09-12-2008 at 06:16 PM.