General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-02-2008, 01:58 PM   #91  
Workin' It

I had the marathon tuned in on at least one tv all day yesterday... As I changed locales the tv of choice just changed with me!

Thanks for the pics Apple Cheeks - Pine does look a little like Dexter. And, love the Nimoy/Quinto pics... I have to admit, while I find Kirk, Picard & Sisko all pretty darn appealing, my childhood musings centered on Spock... My mother just didn't understand that at all...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:09 PM   #92  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

Oh Shannon, I get it, even though I'm totally in lust with Kirk.

I think it's because Spock is sort of a "bad boy." You know-- the stoic tough guy who presents a strong face to the world, and let's very few people inside. He's a challenge. And wouldn't it be delicious to be the one who wins him over, who he lets down his guard down around and shows you his softer side? What girl wouldn't love to have that?

Last edited by Apple Cheeks; 09-02-2008 at 08:10 PM.
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:02 PM   #93  
this is my time

S/C/G: 200/174/135

Height: 5'6"

DH is a big Star Trek fan and i will sit down and watch it with him so i guess you could say i am an the right track. i also like to watch Star Wars, Eurka and Strargate and also Harry Potter.
mrsaugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:05 PM   #94  
Workin' It

Apple Cheeks, you hit it right on the head... Now I'm reliving my adolescence in my head...

I'm reading the Dune series now, DH browbeat me into it... I'm just now getting into Chapterhouse Dune and I'm really enjoying it. Heretics of Dune was really hard for me to follow. Anyone else read or reading these books?
Old 09-02-2008, 09:46 PM   #95  
Made of Starstuff

I just read Dune. That was a challenge enough for me. However, I'm very happy that I did get through it.

It's sort of like reading the Silmarillion... I wouldn't do it again... but I'm glad I got through it once.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:36 AM   #96  
Future Glamazon

I've read all the Dune books, including the grand finale.

I did find some of them hard to follow, or just plain weird. I think, though, that I saw some improvement once the author's son starting writing the books. I don't remember at what point that was in the series, though, so I could be way off there.

Anyone else looking forward to the last "Eragon" book that's coming out this month? (I thought the movie sucked -- totally went off track after the first 10 minutes!)
Old 09-03-2008, 11:52 AM   #97  
Workin' It

I think Brian Herbert is the son, and he started after the one I'm on. I don't know if we even own all of those... have to look for them.

Haven't read any of the Eragon books and didn't see the movie - looking for my next reading project, those might be it.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:38 PM   #98  
Future Glamazon

If you do start on Eragon, please don't watch the movie!!! Or, at least watch it after you've finished the books.

A friend who had recommended the Eragon books to me begged me not to watch the movie, either. He said it was just terrible, diverged wildly from the book, and really wasn't representative of it at all. In short, he said it sucked.

So, I read the book, then a few weeks later I saw the movie on cable.

Bleh! He was right! After the first ten minutes, the movie just swings off onto it's own. It was terrible!

Last edited by Apple Cheeks; 09-04-2008 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:58 AM   #99  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

haven't read the Eragon books yet but the movie was an abomination.

i also loved His Dark Materials but it didn't translate too well into a movie. the movie was a lot better then Eragon... i just don't think it did too well and i have a hard time figuring how they would do the other two books as a movie without it being absolutely terrifying for kids.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:11 AM   #100  
Made of Starstuff

Oh I love His Dark Materials. The books were totally engaging.

I didn't bother to see the movie. I dunno... I didn't really feel the need.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:17 PM   #101  
Twilight Nov. 21st '08

S/C/G: 386/363/150

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziep View Post
haven't read the Eragon books yet but the movie was an abomination.

i also loved His Dark Materials but it didn't translate too well into a movie. the movie was a lot better then Eragon... i just don't think it did too well and i have a hard time figuring how they would do the other two books as a movie without it being absolutely terrifying for kids.
Speaking of terrifying the kids, I wonder how they will deal with all the death in the next 3 HP movies. The whole time I was reading Deathly Hallows I was trying to picture what they would include and what they would only imply. My 10 year old son has seen all of them to date, and I think it's one of the more extreme things I have allowed him to watch next to LOTR. So I'm kinda torn between wanting the movies to not be so bad for him and not wanting them to sacrifice too much of the story just to make it kid friendly.(I know it's a kid book lol) Either way it will be interesting to see how it plays out. They have done rather well in the past, imo.
ChristinaGetsFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:37 PM   #102  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaGetsFit View Post
Speaking of terrifying the kids, I wonder how they will deal with all the death in the next 3 HP movies. The whole time I was reading Deathly Hallows I was trying to picture what they would include and what they would only imply. My 10 year old son has seen all of them to date, and I think it's one of the more extreme things I have allowed him to watch next to LOTR. So I'm kinda torn between wanting the movies to not be so bad for him and not wanting them to sacrifice too much of the story just to make it kid friendly.(I know it's a kid book lol) Either way it will be interesting to see how it plays out. They have done rather well in the past, imo.
Even if they end up being a little too gory for a 10 year old... the movies will be there when he grows up enough to see them.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:27 PM   #103  
Workin' It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie View Post
Even if they end up being a little too gory for a 10 year old... the movies will be there when he grows up enough to see them.
That is true about the HP books - I read an interview with JKR and she said that she targeted the first one to kids around the age of the characters in the first book who would then age along with the characters, so I guess part of her vision was that they would be 17 when Harry was? Or close to it? One of my friends has two little girls and she is rolling the books and movies out to them kind of like that, as they age she adds in the next ones. Don't know how it has worked recently, but I think it gave them a better understanding of Goblet & Order than they would have if she had just run through them all in a row.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:15 PM   #104  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

Yeah I think if I had kids I'd want to just dole them out as they grew up and maybe do like one or two books every summer depending on how mature they are. As for the movies- that is a big of a concern. It'll be interesting to see how they do it... I'm still upset about the delay in time for the movie to come out. :C

I don't think I'd allow my kids to read His Dark Materials until they were at least 12 or 13...
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:44 PM   #105  
Token Vulcan

Wow, I just saw this thread. Of course, I'm a Trekkie, as my screenname attests! LOL, I just got through saying in the celeb crush thread that William Shatner was my first crush. Actually, Leonard Nimoy was right up there, too, as I wrote him a fan letter when I was kid. Luckily, my mother supported my being a fan and she bought me dolls of Kirk, Spock, McCoy and Scotty, and the bridge set, with a little transporter turnaround thingie. Then I won a carnival game one time and I said I want that poster of Kirk, Spock and McCoy on the transporter...that hung on my closet door for years! Anyway, the last time I checked some years ago, the dolls were worth like a thousand dollars apiece but I've joked to my mother that when I die, those dolls are going with me. I think I was joking...maybe not, lol.

I am looking forward to the new movie. I think Zachary Quinto seems to be a great choice for Spock. Admittedly, I wasn't really into the movies made by the TNG cast. There were some things about that show that I liked but I just never felt much chemistry among the cast members, not like I did with the original series cast. I miss DS9 the most of the Trek sequels. I wish Enterprise had been given more of a chance but I think they wasted too much time the first couple of years not really giving fans what they were hoping for and, by the time they started to, it was too late.

Anyway, I did get to meet Leonard Nimoy and John deLancie and got my picture taken with them some years back when they were doing a signing for Alien Voices. It sits above my computer desk.

And, between Mission:Impossible and Space:1999, those shows started my crushing on Martin Landau. He wasn't what you might think of as matinee idol handsome but I thought he was hot. And I loved those parallels and intertwining of Landau and Nimoy--Landau being offered the Spock role first, Nimoy replacing Landau on Mission:Impossible. I would kill to see those two act opposite each other. You know how people wanna see Pacino and DeNiro together, I wanna see Landau and Nimoy!

Last edited by trekkiegirl; 09-07-2008 at 03:58 PM.
trekkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote