General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-29-2008, 11:01 AM   #46  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugnessa View Post
FWIW last year my in-laws called me geek and gave me the entire TOS movie collection on DVD for Xmas.
They could call me whatever they wanted as long as the conclusion was me getting the entire TOS movie collection as a gift
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:09 PM   #47  
Workin' It

I've now gotten the box set now three times - my parents got me the first one that came out with just the TOS movies on VCR tape, then the next one that had the director's cut of TMOP and all the other movies in regular release up through Insurrection, then the year before last DH got me the newer one with all the movies through Insurrection all on Director's Cut and a regular release of Nemesis on the side. Of course, now, they have a set with all DC versions including Nemesis. I'm enough of a junkie that I want it so I can have them all in one pretty box... (I did give the first DVD box set to my MIL, so I don't have two copies of every movie just sitting there... but, it was hard. )

We are a big DVD household...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:50 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 194/190/150

Height: 5'6"

Haha, I watched TGN when I was a kid and then DS9 and TNG in syndication.

I've always been a sci-fi nut. And horror, for that matter. I have an Anita Blake addiction right now, and a Stephen King problem. For a long time I had an Anne Rice obsession. I read the Harry Potter books in about a month while I was heavily pregnant because I was off work and couldn't really do anything. We DVR the episodes of Gargoyles and the old 90's X-Men on Toon Disney every night. I've seen every "out there" movie that Johnny Depp has been in, and most Tim Burton movies. We started watching Heroes, but since we just got cable back after not having it for more than a year we haven't watched any of the second season yet...buying it on DVD soon.

So yeah...I'll fit in here.
Stephanie Brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:30 PM   #49  
I heart 3FC

S/C/G: 210/197/135

Height: 5'2" Age: 28

I'm a little behind in this conversation, but I just wanted to add that I LOVE LOVE LOVE Galaxy Quest.

Of course, my all-consuming love for Alan Rickman may have something to do with that...
just keep swimming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:00 PM   #50  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikanique View Post
and my fav captain is Captain James T. Kirk!!! I'd be his Yeoman anyday!
Oh, **** yeah! I'd be finding excuses to be in his quarters when he came back from his work-outs, all shirtless and sweaty.

I love those episodes showing him like that -- shirtless and sweaty. Oh wait. That's like every other one! LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie View Post
I think all we can do is go to the theater with an open mind.

The Star Wars Prequels catastrophe I think was instigated, in part, because so many of us were hoping for gold. To relive that first film. Only in part, though...
It's funny, but I was having this very discussion with another closeted geek at work last night. I mentioned that I thought George Lucas seems ****-bent on destroying the whole Star Wars franchise. First with all those annoying & unnecessary new "special effects" added to the classic flicks -- like the dinosaur things walking back and forth in front of Luke & Obi Wan in Mos Eissley Spaceport for no other purpose than to say "Look at ME!" Then he produced 3 big turds at the box office (the prequels), having seemingly forgotten who his real audience is (and it's not the 5 year olds sitting with Mom & Dad).

I don't know, but in my opinion he lost something over the years. It's like he forgot about what made the originals a success. Maybe my expectations were too high, but I think in the time between the orginals and the prequels he lost his touch.

So, yeah, I'm hoping the new Trek movie doesn't suck. I'm so excited to see what they do with it, but I'm also crossing my fingers that they don't eff it up!

And I am really secretly hoping they do find a way to have Shatner make a cameo somehow.
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:02 PM   #51  
Future Glamazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by just keep swimming View Post
I'm a little behind in this conversation, but I just wanted to add that I LOVE LOVE LOVE Galaxy Quest.

Of course, my all-consuming love for Alan Rickman may have something to do with that...
Feel free to jump in anywhere! (Lurkers, this means you too!)

This is a great thread, and long overdue I think.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:36 PM   #52  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

Did anyone else like Firefly or Serenity? I was leery about them at first, but love them now.
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:07 PM   #53  
Giving no Ground

S/C/G: 245/217/135

Height: 5'5"

Shiny! I love Firefly and Serenity... Also Galaxy Quest, though it was odd watching Sigourney Weaver play a "dumb" blond after all those Alien movies.
Skullarix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:19 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

Mal cracked me up. Did you know Nicholas Brendon (Xander) from Buffy the Vampire Slayer was originally slated for the part?
He couldn't do it because of his schedule, so it went to Nathan Fillion instead....
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:27 PM   #55  
Made of Starstuff

Alan Rickman... Tingly shivers all over.

Firefly & Serenity were amazing. I remember before I even heard of Firefly (thanks Fox...) that I saw a trailor for Serenity. And I thought "Wow... that looks generic." If I had seen the movie without first watching the series I wouldn't have thought much of it, quite honestly. But with Firefly blowing my mind once I finally did see it!... Just amazing... Reavers are still some of the scariest and most fascinating x-element to any show I've seen.

Last edited by Lovely; 08-29-2008 at 11:30 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:55 PM   #56  
Twilight Nov. 21st '08

S/C/G: 386/363/150

Height: 5'7

Smile My fellow geeketts

Wow looks like I am behind in the scifi series category. I saw Serenity the movie and wasn't very impressed, it wasn't bad, just nothing too memorable to me. I have never watched Firefly but after doing a quick search and seeing that Nathan Fillion is in it, I will have to check it out. I loved him in Slither! I wanted to watch the new Battle Star Galactica series but I missed out on the first few so I gave up figuring it wouldn't last past the first season, guess I was wrong. I loved the original and watched it when I was a little girl, that and Buck Rodgers hehe. Do any of you have Netflix? That's how I have caught up on some of the things I have missed. It's a lot cheaper than buying the sets if you can't afford then or don't care to collect them.

I LOVE HEROES!!!! I so can't wait for that to return. I haven't missed a show and have even read all the stuff I could on the site.

Alan Rickman as Snape is so disturbingly sexy to me I was really upset when I read the last 2 potter books, but I knew eventually it would have to come to that.

Have any of you read The Watchmen? I just bought the graphical novel and will read it after Twilight. Sorta to cleanse my pallet, I guess Anyway they are making the movie and the trailer looks so awesome. I guess I will get the Anita Blake books next and continue my unhealthy obsession/romance with vampires.

I just love this thread!! Thanks for making it, Shannon!
Christina
ChristinaGetsFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:20 AM   #57  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

Quote:
Alan Rickman as Snape is so disturbingly sexy to me
SO TRUE!
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:47 AM   #58  
Future Glamazon

Speaking of Harry Potter movies.....

I really wish they could have gotton Patrick Stewart to play Dumbledore. I think he would fit the role really well. I really haven't been all that impressed by the two actors who've played him. He's supposed to be this great wizard that even Voldemort is afraid of, but I don't think that's really been captured by the actors.

I also think Ian McKellan would have been perfect, but of course he's already played one all-wise, powerful wizard (Gandalf!).
Old 08-30-2008, 09:53 AM   #59  
I heart 3FC

S/C/G: 210/197/135

Height: 5'2" Age: 28

I always think Ian McKellen should be Dumbledore, too, but I suppose that would be, like, typecasting or something. I adored him as Magneto, too, though, so he can be evil as well!

I didn't like Order of the Phoenix that much (the movie, I mean) in part because there was not enough Snape!
just keep swimming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:59 AM   #60  
Made of Starstuff

Christina - Definitely check out the series Firefly & then rewatch Serenity. It makes a lot more sense & you'll be much more invested in it. I've not yet read the Watchmen, but I'm about to go get the graphic novel. I've been meaning to read it for awhile now, and with the movie coming out now seems like the perfect time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just keep swimming View Post
I didn't like Order of the Phoenix that much (the movie, I mean) in part because there was not enough Snape!
Gosh sounds like we need to start a picket line. "Give us Snape! Give us Snape!"

Speaking of Harry Potter *warning dorky question* What House do you guys think you'd belong to?

I'd probably be in Ravenclaw.