General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-29-2008, 08:59 AM   #31  
Made of Starstuff

I grew up watching TNG at my father's knee when I was like 5 years old. I had the biggest crush on Patrick Stewart, and it's never left. I met another girl at my job who also loves him from TNG. I think he must have a fan-base of a hundred thousand 20-something girls out there who like him because they grew up watching him in TNG as Jean Luc.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:06 AM   #32  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

I started out with TOS in PRIMETIME (yeppers i'm an old lady)
I loved STTNG and Voyager (probably because i Love Kate Mulgrew) DS9 has grown on me over the years. Still can't get into Enterprise after the second season... although I did see Scott Bacula in concert last winter...
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:12 AM   #33  
Made of Starstuff

How about Farscape? That show was a jewel.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:07 AM   #34  
Workin' It

Wow! More than I expected! I'm going to reply to several things, so might get long...

Pengbar - I have most of the Trek books myself... I did gap for a few years but am filling those in on EBook... and, I hated Billie too... Don't even remember most of that season.

Love the doll kaplods! I used to attend the RenFaire pretty regularly, though I never wore the female outfits, I always wore the lace up shirt/tights/high boots/cape/sword ensemble... Would probably go a different route now... And yes, they still do the ST experience in Vegas. I actually planned my wedding date and honeymoon to go to the grand opening of the exhibit when I got married the first time, but they delayed the opening by three months so I missed it. I then timed my divorce to go to the 35 anniversary convention they held there. Kidding, I didn't plan the divorce around it, it was just coincidence, really...

Christina - I read a press release somewhere that said the HP movie got moved because they had a lack of quality releases next summer due to the writer's strike and wanted to fill out the lineup a little.. I've not read the Twilight novels, but I have read the Sookie Stackhouse series, and Anita Blake & Merry Gentry. Though really, AB & MG have gotten too heavy into the 'personal relations' sides of the storylines for my taste...

GatorGal - I'm afraid I won't make DragonCon this weekend... We have my stepson this weekend, and he is only 3... Not quite ready for the convention scene yet...

Darkblue - I found myself stuck on an elevator with one of the Dr. Whos at a con in Atlanta ages and ages ago.... I had never really watched Dr. Who, so I had no idea who he was. My buddy with me almost passed out when we all got off the elevator together...

Monte Cristo - I just watched Galaxy Quest again a few weeks ago as my workout entertainment one morning. Hilarious!

Faerie - Love the Farscape! TNG came out when I was in high school, I was pretty fond of Patrick Stewart myself... And I saw Joss' blog - earlier this year... funny funny funny...

AppleCheeks - Looks like it was a great thread idea! Thank you for mentioning, I wouldn't have started it otherwise!

Nessa - TOS wasn't on primetime still when I started watching it, only syndicated reruns...at first I hated it, but one day it was like a light bulb went off in my head and I said "hey, this is pretty cool". My mom says it was one of the episodes where William Shatner had his shirt off that did it, don't know..

Have a good day everybody!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:09 AM   #35  
Workin' It

I knew I would forget something - I also had a hard time getting into Enterprise, but it grew on me. Though I still haven't seen all of the last season - DH and I were just getting together at that point and I missed a lot of tv right around then... I loved Quantum Leap though, so i had to give Bakula a chance...
Old 08-29-2008, 10:18 AM   #36  
ONEderland here I come!

we've been watching quantum leap on ION every night. I've DVRed them. used up my entire DVR space LOL
Old 08-29-2008, 10:27 AM   #37  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCristo View Post
Has anyone seen Galaxy Quest with Tim Allen? If you are familiar with the original series you will just about die laughing!
I loved that flick. They were merciless with skewering TOS actors & and all their real behind-the-scenes drama. I loved it!

I think one of the funniest lines in the movie is when Alan Rickman says to Tim Allen: "Well, I see you've managed to get your shirt off again."

I was rolling! An obvious poke at the Shat! (Sexy beast that he was back then! )

Faerie: I also had a crush on Patrick Stewart. His voice alone could cause my toes to curl up!

But....If I had to pick a captain, my heart belongs firmly to Kirk.

Shannon: that's sweet, but you had the guts to actually make the thread! I was too shy about it, since I figured I would be ridiculed or no one would respond. I've learned to hide my geek-half through the years because that sort of thing happens in real life, and I thought it would probably be no different here. I'm very glad I was wrong!
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:30 AM   #38  
Made of Starstuff

I used to watch Quantum Leap on USA during my summers off from school

For anyone who likes Anita Blake, I read a blurb about a month ago that said there's going to be an Anita Blake comic book. http://www.marvel.com/news/comicstories.659
Old 08-29-2008, 10:35 AM   #39  
Workin' It

Apple Cheeks, I never really hid my geek half in my younger days - most of my friends all my life were band geeks, metalheads, scifi geeks, all of the above... And my boss at my first job was a family member, so everyone already knew me... I did downplay it in my last job though, because I was working in a little country town in the middle of nowhere and I got a lot of weird looks when it came up.... I've let it back out where I am now though... I even revealed to my coworkers that if you google me under my maiden name it shows me as a Starfleet Academy graduate... I learned that one of my coworkers is way into LOTR that way...

I don't know if I can pick just one favorite captain... Kirk, Picard, Sisko, Bakula - all are pretty... um, well, pretty.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:36 AM   #40  
Workin' It

Anyone else reading the Buffy comic books? I'm a few issues behind, don't have my own subscription and have to depend on a friend to hand them down to me...

Wonder if the Anita Blake comic book will be a little less 'graphic' then the recent novels...
Old 08-29-2008, 10:47 AM   #41  
ONEderland here I come!

Piccard. By a long shot... oh... "make it so"
Old 08-29-2008, 10:50 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Can't say I'm a trekkie BUT I love the original!! My fav of the movies was hands down the Wrath of Khan. When my (now ex) stepped on my VCR tape and broke it I literally cried. I am excited about the newest movie coming out but am also a little worried about the quality of it. I'd hate to be as disappointed as I was with the first movie of the 2nd Star Wars series. And if I'd had a gun in the theater I would have shot Jar-Jar!

and my fav captain is Captain James T. Kirk!!!

Last edited by tikanique; 12-03-2008 at 12:52 AM.
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:54 AM   #43  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugnessa View Post
Piccard. By a long shot... oh... "make it so"
AMEN!!!!!
Old 08-29-2008, 10:56 AM   #44  
ONEderland here I come!

FWIW last year my in-laws called me geek and gave me the entire TOS movie collection on DVD for Xmas.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:00 AM   #45  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikanique View Post
Can't say I'm a trekkie BUT I love the original!! My fav of the movies was hands down the Wrath of Khan. When my (now ex) stepped on my VCR tape and broke it I literally cried. I am excited about the newest movie coming out but am also a little worried about the quality of it. I'd hate to be as disappointed as I was with the first movie of the 2nd Star Wars series. And if I'd had a gun in the theater I would have shot Jar-Jar!
I think all we can do is go to the theater with an open mind.

The Star Wars Prequels catastrophe I think was instigated, in part, because so many of us were hoping for gold. To relive that first film. Only in part, though...