3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   I Was So Embarrassed, I Almost Cried.. (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/146627-i-so-embarrassed-i-almost-cried.html)

KimV 07-17-2008 09:46 PM

I wear anywhere from an 8 to a 9, depending on the style. Since high school, I could go in and get an 8 no matter the style until a few years ago when I injured my foot. Now, I actually have to try on the shoe to see if it will fit.

I have a friend who is very tall (she's 6 foot or maybe taller) and wears a size 11. Most of my friends seem to be size 9 and 10's.

The manager, or his boss should take care of the problem if you say something to them. It is less expensive for a company to keep their current customers than to bring in new ones. Plus the fact that for every upset customer that tells about bad service in a store, they tell an average of five people, who will usually tell a few people, etc. etc. This store can end up loosing many potential or currently loyal customers from the experience of one person (gee, I guess all those business classes do come in handy for something :) Who'd of thought? lol).

auntie g 07-17-2008 09:49 PM

Another size 10 here, as are several of my friends. Though I've always been uncomfortable about my clothing size, I've never once thought size 10 shoes was an issue!

EZMONEY 07-17-2008 09:50 PM

:hug: SWEET-C :(:hug:

The guy is a jerk! Probably a yankee fan ;)

Angie is 5'5" wears a 10 AA...can't find shoes to fit anywhere! Daughter Amanda is 5'11" and wears a 10 - Lara is 5'9" and wears a 9-10 - one of our niece's wears a 10

I wear a 10 - son a 14 - nephew a 12

we are all good :) people...well....I'm not THAT :devil: bad!

:hug::hug::hug::hug:

Smiling_Sara 07-17-2008 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweetcaroline (Post 2274622)
I was in a sports shoe store today trying on several pairs of walking shoes. I was 'finally' approached by a sales person (A guy about 40) and I asked him I he had 'those' in a 10. He said no, sorry... So I asked him if he had 'those' in a ten, and he said NO, but I've got a couple of empty boxes you can wear... I was stunned by the comment how RUDE ! but I fought back tears and left... I'm so sick of feeling like I need to defend the size of my body, and now the size of my feet :( .. (this isn't the 1st time someone has commented on my size 10's..) some people are so rude !! For sometime now I thought size 10's were getting to be 'more normal'.... but I'm curious now, what size shoe do you wear ???
~Caroline~

:hug: that is so unprofessional of him. Karma will get him.

I vary between 6.5 and 7.5 Wide

Clydegirl 07-17-2008 10:24 PM

Caroline what a jerk. You should complain to the management.

I wear a 9.

kaplods 07-17-2008 10:35 PM

Slightly off topic, but pertinent I think. I love my New Balance, but I will never buy women's New Balance ever again. My hubby (a former salesman of very expensive shoes), tipped me off about trying men's shoes in the New Balance. The styles are mostly very similar so only your feet will know the difference. He said that he would often recommend "women's" New Balance for guys with small narrow feet, and he would recommend "men's" New Balance for women with wide feet. Though he said he usually would tell the customer "I know this is going to sound crazy, but...."

But, really what is so crazy about it... the shoes don't have boy or girl "cooties," and if the styles are nearly identical why not pick the shoe that actually fits (Besides for women and men it's a ego boost if you believe in vanity sizing, the guys self-conscious about their feet being too small get to a shoe two sizes bigger than they normally wear, and women self-conscious about big feet get to wear two sizes smaller than they normally wear). Ok, we really know there's no "real" difference, but at least you should get a good pair of shoes that fit and look nice and that's what's really important.

JulieJ08 07-17-2008 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweetcaroline (Post 2274622)
[SIZE="2"]... So I asked him if he had 'those' in a ten, and he said NO, but I've got a couple of empty boxes you can wear...

What a weirdo.

MalibuBeachBound 07-17-2008 10:43 PM

Yeah that guy like others have said was just rude. Larger feet are nothing to be ashamed of. Actually, I think size 5s look silly on a grown adult over 5' (no offense to anyone that has small feet either ;) ) I wear a size 8 shoe, but I have a 110 lb, 5'6" friend that wears a 10 and another friend that wears an 11. A 10 isn't an unreasonable size. Some day, that boy will learn manners the hard way... unfortunately.

chickybird 07-17-2008 11:04 PM

That sucks!!!! You NEED to complain to the manager, otherwise he'll do it to someone else.
Years ago, I went looking for prom shoes at a place that rhymes with "Dillard's" (get it?). I told the salesgirl and asked if she had anything in a size 11. She said, "No, we only have shoes for normal people." CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT?! Then she told me about a shoestore in downtown Houston that carried shoes for transvestites. I'm not making this up. I was so ashamed I left the store. I never complained, and I wish I had. That stupid girl should have been fired for insulting a young, sensitive teenager girl like that. I never shop at Dillards now. And when I walk through it with my friends who do shop there, salespeople approach me to buy/try things. And I tell every one of them why I no longer shop at their store--they are always shocked and aplogetic.
I'm a size 11, and sometimes I wear men's sneakers. Cheaper and a better fit.

junebug41 07-17-2008 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickybird (Post 2274999)
That sucks!!!! You NEED to complain to the manager, otherwise he'll do it to someone else.
Years ago, I went looking for prom shoes at a place that rhymes with "Dillard's" (get it?). I told the salesgirl and asked if she had anything in a size 11. She said, "No, we only have shoes for normal people." CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT?! Then she told me about a shoestore in downtown Houston that carried shoes for transvestites. I'm not making this up. I was so ashamed I left the store. I never complained, and I wish I had. That stupid girl should have been fired for insulting a young, sensitive teenager girl like that. I never shop at Dillards now. And when I walk through it with my friends who do shop there, salespeople approach me to buy/try things. And I tell every one of them why I no longer shop at their store--they are always shocked and apologetic.
I'm a size 11, and sometimes I wear men's sneakers. Cheaper and a better fit.

Is it bad that I've been to that store? Not for shoes mind you, but I DID spend my freshman year at UH! :o

On to the OP:

A) size 10 is a COMMON size. Period.

B) You MUST complain about this. As chickybird said, he could go on to say something equally mean to someone else tomorrow. He needs to be held accountable for what is totally inexcusable behavior. I'm so sorry you were subjected to that a******.

Sweetcaroline 07-17-2008 11:16 PM

Quote:

and then the orthotics take up space.
that's exactly what I need the new shoes for; orthotics...

Quote:

The guy is a jerk! Probably a yankee fan
Yes, He must be, most are fools, sorry Darby1 :hug:

My goodness 3FC angels to the rescue again.. :angel: Thank you for the support. I am really considering going back into that store and complaining. I actually think that guy was a manager though.. but I have to take action in some way, I think I'll feel better. One of these days I'll regain the strength I used to have to stand my ground with people... Taking care of this is another good step... But I still need shoes !! :running: I'll keep all the chickies posted on my progress... you guys are great !

SoulBliss 07-17-2008 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweetcaroline (Post 2275009)
I am really considering going back into that store and complaining.

I would call or send a letter. I'd feel calmer and more comfortable when they weren't looking at me. :^:

Sweetcaroline 07-17-2008 11:23 PM

Good point Soulbliss... then I can get my thoughts in order... thanks

shelby897 07-17-2008 11:27 PM

I wear an 11 (or 12 when I'm pregant :D). I don't even bother with shoes too much any more, just buy the men's sneakers/sandals and occasionally buy really cheap dress shoes when I need them. Got to be too difficult -- because apparently because my feet are long, there are expected to be wide as well!!

A few years back my sister called me to let me know how upset she was -- she stutures, mostly when she is nervous -- was at a deli at a grocery store -- had difficulty getting out what she wanted to say and the clerk made a few choice comments such as "spit it out" and mocked her. She just walked out. However, I sent an e-mail to the store manager complaining, pointing out that her stutering in no way is a sign of ignorance -- she is a college educated, articulate individual, that customer service was horrible, etc. The store manager called me, said the employee would be fired, etc. I told him I would not want someone to lose their job over it -- on my request, the store implimented a new training session for empathy, customer service, etc.

Sorry to be so long winded -- just wanted to let you know that the store really should be aware this moron is driving away customers and he should be reprimanded. If he said that to you, god only knows what he might say to someone with a prosthetic leg, etc.

:hug::hug:

Apple Cheeks 07-17-2008 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplods (Post 2274963)

But, really what is so crazy about it... the shoes don't have boy or girl "cooties," and if the styles are nearly identical why not pick the shoe that actually fits

I agree: get the shoe that fits, regardless of whether it's labelled for men or women. BUT.....

I'd like to buy women's running shoes because they come in feminine colors and have designs on them that aren't available on men's shoes. For once in my life it would be nice to own a pair of pink and white running shoes, with some pink laces, like I see are available to women with smaller feet!

It really doesn't bother me that I have to wear men's running shoes. But, it does bother me that I can't get any that look flirty or feminine. Yes, I may be grunting and sweating like a wart hog, but I want to look fashionable while doing it! :D