BBQ's and my Dad

• As I opened my back door, I smell the wonderfull bbq's going all around me. Yum yum!

This is a hard time for me because it really remindes me of my dad. He grilled the best steaks, chicken, pork, turkey, you name it! I remember shucking the corn on the cob, loads of family milling around, and all the wonderful homemade food!

But sadly, daddy died in 03 and I havn't been to a family get-together since. It seems like my whole family dissolved away, leaving my memories..... Dad really wanted to lose weight too, and we started our journey together, which was a great motovation! I often think about losing my weight for Dad, if that is possible.

Thanks for letting me reminisce.
  • I am so sorry for your loss! My dad died two years ago and the number of family get to gethers and seriously decreased. He was the driving force behind most of them and w/ out him, I guess we all just don't know what to do w/ ourselves. I also often think about losing weight for my dad (he is the one who inspired me to join the gym). I know I have to do it for me, but I he would be proud!

Enjoy your memories.
  • My mom passed away in '02. I wasn't nearly as heavy then as I am now, but I remember feeling that she was disappointed in my weight. I started gaining a couple of years before she died. She was always proud to have "pretty daughters" and I didn't feel that way when she was is hospice.

We shared clothes from the time I was about 14. Well actually, I shared hers. Couldn't share shoes though. One of us tipped our right heel different from the other and it would screw up the shoes for the other person.

I really miss my mom. I get jealous of some people who still have their parents when they are like 50 and older. A guy at work was saying that he had to call his GRANDMA every week and he's about 58. It sucked being a 34 yr old orphan. My oldest sister was 50 when she passed. She never teases me about being the "Baby" anymore, cause shortly after the funeral, I kinda hurtly informed her that I may have had more stuff, but she had 15 more years than I did.

But, I have my mom's funerary crucifix on my bedroom wall with my Papa's last rosary draped over it, and I know they are on this journey with me along with all my other journey's.
  • I am sorry for your loss. I am sure your Dad is looking down at you from his cloud and is very proud of your weight loss.
  • My family isn't close, so I don't have memories like that to look back on. You are so blessed to have those memories! It's wonderful that you could share such special times w/ him! I bet he would be proud today!
  • I can understand those memories. I have the same type of memories of my dad as well. He died in 2002 and any time I have some good BBQ I think of him since he loved to cook and use his big smoker he had in the backyard. We had many family get togethers at our place because of him being generous and wanting to cook BBQ.
  • Thanks you guys! It's been hard real hard for me these last few years. I usually end up crying whenever I think about him. But I seem to getting better.