3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   Real People (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/145360-real-people.html)

pkend4593 07-02-2008 10:59 AM

Real People

Why is it, that every weight loss commercial, every gym advertisement, every plus size catalogs, have normal size 2-4 people on them, why don't they use the average size person, I would luv to see a size 24 person on these advertisement. What is your vibe?
Paulas

PhotoChick 07-02-2008 11:32 AM

Well ... seeing a size 24 person in a weight loss ad seems counter productive. :) The point is to show that you can lose weight. It'd be like showing a person with stained, crooked teeth in a dentist's ad. Doesn't lend confidence.

Now clothing catalogs, I'm with you on. I think they should show larger women in the ads, especially if they sell larger sized clothing. Nothing like seeing an ad for "women's" sizes with a size 6 model. *grrr*

ThisTimeIsDifferent 07-02-2008 11:36 AM

I hate that! It will never change :mad:

LetsWorkItOut 07-02-2008 11:49 AM

I always think that it's hilarious when they have skinny models wearing plus-sized clothes. It just looks ridiculous. I want to know how something fits on people that look like me. All of the clothes look like muu-muus on people who are a size 2.

Lane Bryant and Torrid usually feature people who can actually wear the clothes, which is nice.

SoulBliss 07-02-2008 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkend4593 (Post 2251754)
Why is it, that every weight loss commercial, every gym advertisement, every plus size catalogs, have normal size 2-4 people on them, why don't they use the average size person, I would luv to see a size 24 person on these advertisement. What is your vibe?
Paulas

Jenny Craig has Queen Latifah in their ads, supporting becoming a "Size Healthier" and so on. I don't think she's a size 24 at this time, but she certainly isn't a 2 or a 4 either. ;)

kaplods 07-02-2008 12:02 PM

I love the Queen Latifah ads, because I think it speaks to all of the people who want to lose some weight, want to get healthier, but don't have aspirations of a size 2.

I think a variety of sizes would be a better marketing strategy (reaching people of all goals). For gym memberships especially, because they show only hardbodies working out, it can give the impression that only hardbodies are welcome. And I think that sometimes is true. I know I lived in a community where each of the gyms had a different clientelle. The YMCA had patrons of all ages and sizes. A private health club had mostly middle-aged adults also of varying sizes (the gym my hubby and I joined, as my employer gave a discounted membership). And the "Gold's Gym" had only age 20 - 40
super hardbodies. My employer also gave discounts and a free months's membership to Gold's, but it was too uncomfortable for me when I saw that not only were there no flabby patrons, the way the gym was set up so that everyone saw everyone else (mirrors all around, and the pool in the center, with glass walls), I just didn't feel comfortable there.

bettyred 07-02-2008 12:14 PM

Kaplods- I LOVED gold's gym LOL The gym out close to my house was everyone from skinny teens to chunky seniors- I was so jealous of the rather large dude next to me, and I was at least 360 then and the dude next to me was kicking my arse on the eliptical lol

Queen has had a personal trainer for years and never wanted to lose her plus size- she's always said that she wants it strictly for health reasons, and it's true you can be a healthy plus size, especially when plus size starts at 12/14 LOL

I think the gym advertisements try and strike a balance, they normally put people up who yes are uber thin naturally and nicely muscled but they tend to have healthy looking people in the ads... instead of muscle bound freaks- yes they freak me out lol and people who hadn't quite started.... I wish for once tho- they would take a girl my size and do a before and after and actually invest in them instead of "I lost 40lbs! I'm hot now!" lol

Zeitgeist 07-02-2008 01:04 PM

Bettyred, I LOVE that idea. Sort of like a Jared from Subway, but using a gym. Someone should approach their gym with the idea...I think it is a great idea.

I'll never join a gym, though. I prefer my solitude and the outdoors.

And I agree with the skinny models wearing plus size clothes. Sometimes I use the "if it looks good on them, it probably won't on me" (and vice versa) method of determining if I should buy a piece of clothing.

tamaralynn 07-02-2008 07:15 PM

I totally agree on the plus size clothing ads with the smaller ladies. Just drives me bonkers.

Which is why I love Penningtons 14+ they use REAL models ;)

Queen Latifah? I LOVE her :) She is my role model!

cephalopod gal 07-03-2008 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoulBliss (Post 2251848)
Jenny Craig has Queen Latifah in their ads, supporting becoming a "Size Healthier" and so on. I don't think she's a size 24 at this time, but she certainly isn't a 2 or a 4 either. ;)

Fact: Queen Latifah has always been one of my favorite people ever. When she signed up for the Jenny Craig thing, I was a little worried that she was going to go down that "Hollywood" route until I actually saw one of the commercials and she talked about the "Size Healthier" and not the "Size -7" :P

kaplods 07-03-2008 01:30 PM

Yeah, I have to say I have a huge girl crush on her. She always projects beauty and confidence. The perfect blend of arrogance and humility. And when I saw her in Chicago, and Hairspray I wanted every costume she wore in those movies (even though I'm twice her size and pale as a ghost, so the colors and fit would probably look ridiculous on me).

I also love how she doesn't bash her "former" self, in the Jenny Craid ads (like we've seen other celebs do). For some reason, it seems even sadder to see a celeb go through the "I'm beautiful now, but wasn't I such a disgusting hog before?"

Well, it's refreshing to see.

grneyedmustang 07-03-2008 01:44 PM

Count me in on the "I love Queen Latifah" too. She's always been confident in her size to me, even when she was heavier.

Now, Monique I can't stand and find very annoying - but that's a topic for another day.

preetyladyserenity 07-03-2008 02:01 PM

I love Queen Latifah. I remember one of her first appearances in 'The Fresh Prince of Bel Air' where she played one of Will Smith's girlfriends. In Chicago and Hairspray she was awesome and I loved one of her dresses in 'The Last Holiday!" So good!!!