3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   Dessert Emergency! Help!! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/144966-dessert-emergency-help.html)

EZMONEY 06-27-2008 09:59 PM

Dessert Emergency! Help!!

Here is the deal-e-o...

We are having a BBQ Family Party here tomorrow, Saturday. It was supposed to be a big party for my nephew's high school graduation (I am his legal guardian)....however, Uncle Gary does not give parties for 1.8 GPA's!...especially with remarks like...no homework turned in....tardies....etc.

So Angie and I switched it to our regular family "once a month meet and have dinner" party. Pretty much the same people, less knucklehead's friends.

Angie is BBQ'ing teriyaki chicken, and having pasta and fruit salads....she just hollered out to me..."I forgot about dessert!".....

I told her "no problem Babe....my 3FC gals will come through!"

SO...WHAT ARE WE HAVING?...for around 20 people? ;)

traveling michele 06-27-2008 10:19 PM

You could grill bananas and/or pineapple and serve it with either FF cool whip or low fat ice cream.
Or angel food cake with berries??
LOL about not celebrating a 1.8 GPA-- at least he graduated???

brandnewme 06-27-2008 10:31 PM

Strawberry Jello Dessert

INGREDIENTS

* 2 cups crushed pretzels
* 3/4 cup butter, melted (I use regular butter but this can be substituted with something healthier)
* 2 tablespoons sugar (I use Splenda)
* FILLING:
* 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened (Light/Low Fat/etc usually)
* 1 cup sugar (again, Splenda)
* 1 (8 ounce) carton frozen whipped topping, thawed (Light/Non-Dairy/etc)
* TOPPING:
* 1 (6 ounce) package strawberry gelatin (SF)
* 2 cups boiling water
* 1/2 cup cold water
DIRECTIONS

1. In a large bowl, combine the pretzels, butter and sugar. Press into the bottom of an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes. Cool completely.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Stir in whipped topping. Spread over pretzel crust. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
3. For topping, in a small bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Add cold water; chill until partially set. Carefully pour over filling. Cover and refrigerate for 4-6 hours or until firm. Cut into squares.

Or, another family favorite.. 8 Layer Jello (notice a theme here? :D)

2 (3 oz.) pkg. orange jello
2 (3 oz.) pkgs. lime jello
2 (3 oz.) pkgs. lemon jello
2 (3 oz.) pkgs. cherry jello
2 cans Carnation evaporated milk (refrigerate)

Use 9x13 cake pan or container able to hold 12 cups. Grease with small amount of oil.

1. Boil 1 1/2 cups water, then stir in 1 package orange jello. Let set until almost firm, about 45 minutes.

2. Boil 3/4 cup water; stir in other package orange jello. Let cool in pan in refrigerator about 30 minutes before adding 3/4 cup Carnation evaporated milk. Check to be sure previous layer is firm, but tacky to assure layers will adhere together, then add layer 2.

Boil layer 3 water using step 1 instructions with lime jello. Allow 30 minutes; layer 4, repeat step 2; repeat with lemon and cherry layers. Prepare in morning.

GradPhase 06-27-2008 10:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah! At least he GRADUATED, Uncle Gary! If it makes you feel any less stressed - I dropped out my Freshman year of High School, and I'm now a college Sophomore (With my proper age group, 18-19!) with a 3.8 GPA and I'm still busting bum because it's just not 'good enough' for my standards! People change! (Fingers crossed!)

Jello and instant pudding pies are the first thing that came to my mind because they're quick and easy for a ton of people. Or fruit kebabs, but I'm poor so I have tons of respect for that much fruit being pricey! Ouch! I'd do cupcakes because those are the most fun.

Whatever you guys choose, I'm sure it'll be great though ;) (And I wish I COULD forget dessert, for the record! I'm envious of Angie!)

*Edit* Wait!! She's having fruit salad AND dessert?? *grumble* over-achieving family.....
Because I'm home sick, this is the recipe you get from me. Just don't think about the calories, it'll stress you out ;)

Baked Alaska

INGREDIENTS

* 2 quarts vanilla ice cream, softened
* 1 (18.25 ounce) package white cake mix
* 1 egg
* 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
* 8 egg whites
* 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup white sugar

number of stars

DIRECTIONS

1. Line the bottom and sides of an 8-inch round mixing bowl or deep 8-inch square container with foil. Spread ice cream in container, packing firmly. Cover and freeze 8 hours or until firm.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour an 8x8 inch pan.
3. Prepare cake mix with egg and almond extract. Pour into prepared pan.
4. Bake in preheated oven according to package instructions, until center of cake springs back when lightly touched.
5. Beat egg whites with cream of tartar, salt and sugar until stiff peaks form.
6. Line a baking sheet with parchment or heavy brown paper. Place cake in center. Turn molded ice cream out onto cake. Quickly and prettily spread meringue over cake and ice cream, all the way to paper to seal. Return to freezer 2 hours.
7. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
8. Bake the Alaska on the lowest shelf, 8 to 10 minutes, or until meringue is lightly browned. Serve at once.

=D

Granted, she'd have to wait until everyone was about ready for dessert and throw it in there in for a good ten minutes. But still. Doesn't it look COOL???

Ohhhh, Alaska... <3

fiberlover 06-27-2008 11:20 PM

I vote for the angel food cake with grilled fruit. Yum! Mix some honey and cinnamon and brush the fruit with it before grilling.

EZMONEY 06-28-2008 12:53 AM

Thanks Gals! You are all so awesome...and just for the record my knucklehead nephew WILL get a party for his "off to join the NAVY" in September!

Angie hasn't seen these yet...keep them coming...

oh and "overachieving?"....IGLOO GIRL....it's "salads"!

mamaspank 06-28-2008 01:27 AM

Bananas Foster all the way. I love any dessert you can light on fire! All you need is a little rum, bananas, cinnamon, sugar. Don't forget the vanilla ice cream. There are a ton of recipes all over the Internet for this one. Good luck picking. The more I look at that pic of Baked Alaska, I am thinking that sounds really good. Thanks for sharing that one!

pipernoswiper 06-28-2008 01:59 AM

well it's not nearly as exciting as some of these, but i'm all about quick and easy...........................;)

take any chocolate cake mix you wish and add one can of diet coke (do not add egg oil or anything else, just the diet coke and the cake batter), beat, and bake as directed......i promise this will be the most moist cake you've ever had. and has reduced calories and fat. you can top with low fat cool whip and strawberries.

but if it was me.........cuz a. i'm not big on desert, and b. i'm lazy in the kitchen........i would just cut up fresh strawberries and put splenda on them. that would be the extent of my desert.

oh but wait!!!! i know this is off topic here but we are having a big 4th of july party and i just found a new appetizer that is sooooooo nummy! i'm making 150 of them for next weekend and they are super easy.....and budget friendly

clean green onions, cut half of the stem off and cut the tip off where the root is. then take dry beef (low in calories, love this, but high in sodium) cover the dry beef generously with lowfat cream cheese and wrap the beef around the tip of the green onion.......omg this is so good.

CandyKisses0204 06-28-2008 09:23 AM

Not sure what to call this buts its pretty yummy and somewhat healthy. All you need is FF cool whip, almond or vanilla extract, strawberries, and sugar or splenda. Slice or tear the angel food cake into square chunks. Mix 1 tub of cool whip with about 1/2 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon either alomond or vanilla extract. (if you use almond be careful not to put too much cause it is very strong). Slice up the strawberries. Then in a BIG bowl layer the angel food cake pieces, cool whip, then strawberries. Repeat until your bowl is full. Very yummy. Good luck Gary. Hope the BBQ goes well!

Ruthxxx 06-28-2008 09:38 AM

I had to do an impromptu dessert for a BBQ last week on VERY short notice. I went to the store and bought a watermelon which I cut into slices. I also picked up two packages of frozen brownies and butterscotch squares which I hacked up still frozen. It went over really well and sure was quick and easy.

EZMONEY 06-28-2008 10:28 AM

Angie here-

Thanks for all your suggestions!!

SoulBliss 06-28-2008 10:37 AM

ANGIE! When are you going to get your own account? I wanna see yOu 'round these parts on the regular. ;)

tamaralynn 06-28-2008 11:40 AM

Ambrosia

1 package of fat free vanilla pudding - make as directed - set aside.
1 tub of fat free cool whip
1 can of mandarine orange sections
1 can of pineapple tidbits

Squeeeeeze excess juice off of the fruit - trust me!

Mix all together and let sit in the fridge until dessert - yummy - feels and tastes fattening, but it isn't!

perfect cool dessert for a hot day! Your guests/families will LICK their bowls clean if they're anything like my DH and BIL

Ija 06-28-2008 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamaralynn (Post 2245796)
Ambrosia

1 package of fat free vanilla pudding - make as directed - set aside.
1 tub of fat free cool whip
1 can of mandarine orange sections
1 can of pineapple tidbits

Squeeeeeze excess juice off of the fruit - trust me!

Mix all together and let sit in the fridge until dessert - yummy - feels and tastes fattening, but it isn't!

perfect cool dessert for a hot day! Your guests/families will LICK their bowls clean if they're anything like my DH and BIL

Since I'm not big on pineapple I tried making this with frozen blueberries... It's my favorite dessert :)

tamaralynn 06-28-2008 12:56 PM

You can make it with any fruit you like :) That's the fun part of ambrosia... we usually just stick with the traditional oranges and pineapple :)