General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-04-2008, 12:04 AM   #1  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Default Recycle My Aching Backside!

OK I recycle and care about the environment...growing up in the 70's we were all taught that in school.

Angie and I give all of our aluminum cans and plastic water bottles to church. We separate and set out all newspaper/cardboard/paper/glass/plastic products for the trash pick-up...every week without fail. Cheaters in my house are punished if caught

We save all of our batteries from phones/cameras/radios/ipods/whatever we have. I put them in coffee cans then drive them over to hazardous waste pick-up when I have paint etc to dispose of.

Well today I get an e-mail that says I can get a recycle kit for not only my batteries but my wiggly light bulbs. The bulb cardboard box container holds 10 wiggly light bulbs and the one for batteries holds 4 pounds worth. Cool So I tell Angie about it as I carry 2 coffee cans from the garage, one full and one 1/4 full, into the kitchen to weigh them....YES our scale is in the kitchen! Anyway they weigh 12 pounds so I tell Angie I am going to order them, I need 1 for light bulbs and 4 for the batteries. She asks me "then what do we do with them?"...here is the cool thing...the e-mail says you just fill 'em up and set out for your postman to pick-up...no postage for you...way cool right?

So I sit down and get ready to place my order...pick the boxes for 1 light bulb and 4 battery boxes...then it says to add to cart...I can do this! been on Amazon for CD's many times...so I hit the cart button and........

WHAMMO!...

it says I need to get out my credit card for about $125.00!

Are you kidding me? They want me to pay $25 bucks for each box...free postage?.....at that price these batteries are gonna end up in my.........

TRASH!

...am I wrong?
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:34 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

Whew! I agree with you. Recycling's great, but I think your old system worked better.
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:05 AM   #3  
is baaaad to the bone!

S/C/G: 145!

Height: 5'8"

That's crazy! You aren't wrong - just keep taking them to the haz waste center. I'm big on recycling too - my community doesn't do it, but my mother's does - so I package everything up once a week and take it to her!
SunshineRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:15 PM   #4  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Thanks MANDA, I will continue to take them myself to the hazard waste center..it's just the idea that I could send them with the postman free...but $25 for the little cardboard box is ridiculous! Even with the PRICE of gas today!

A city next to ours has a battery drop off at several grocery stores...my ex-sister in law lives there, she comes by here often...think I will start sending them home with her.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:01 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 222/209.8/130

Height: 5'4

I wish I could recycle more. I've looked up on my city's website and I cannot find anything about recycling. I haven't lived here for very long (going on 3 years) so I'm still learning the city and the surrounding area and what's available. Anyways I just wanted to say thank you for recycling! That's crazy though wanting to charge you that much!
blondebritbrat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 12:14 PM   #6  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

Gar, we had a Staples open up around us about 1-2 yrs. ago. I SWORE I saw a battery recycling bin in there. I've been a) saving all batteries from remotes, cameras, phones, etc. for quite sometime and b) bought a recharger from Home Depot for $30. It came w/4 rechargable AA batteries and can recharge either AA or AAA (4 at a time) in 15 minutes. We've been replacing all our disposable batteries w/these. I went to drop off my bag of used disposable batteries and --- they said they never had a recycling bin for them!! I called the township and I can drop them off at the hazardous dump for like $12. Cripes, don't want to have to drive and pay for this. I ended up dumping them in the trash. I absolutely HATE doing this but can't find anywhere to recycle them. We are down to our last two disposable AAA batteries. The recharable kind seem like a great way to go. I'm not always buying and throwing out batteries and we just always keep some charged so we're never w/out.

Last edited by Hat Trick; 07-05-2008 at 12:15 PM.
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 12:35 PM   #7  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

HAT TRICK when I mentioned it my ex-sister in law, at our party yesterday, that stores in her town re-claimed them she said she would take them in. I said I didn't think stores in my town did, she said that Staples did...they have a tube or something to collect them. I told her that I would take them there...humm...I better call first!

Charging us to recycle our products will not help the cause I am afraid...got to be a better way.