3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   HS grad gifts? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/143649-hs-grad-gifts.html)

auntie g 06-11-2008 07:22 PM

HS grad gifts?

Hi all! We've got several high school graduation parties coming up in the next week and a half, and due to being fairly broke, I'm wondering what dollar amount I can get away with giving these kids, without looking like a cheapskate. We've got 3 categories of grads to deal with: a niece, close family friends, and a neighborhood kid that we really haven't talked to much since she was much younger. So I'm just wondering what is customary these days... Thanks for any input!

FrouFrou 06-11-2008 08:26 PM

My kids have received anywhere from $20-$100 mostly from family. Depending on the kids...I think most are grateful for whatever they get, even a card. Mine were for just the ther mere thought of someone actually thinking of them.

walking2lose 06-11-2008 08:45 PM

A beach or pool bag with towel and flip flops is easy and will be used by most grads (at least girls). I teach high school and kids in our area love WalMart gift cards

crazycurls 06-11-2008 08:49 PM

Kids graduating from high school will appreciate any amount of money!

Apple Cheeks 06-11-2008 08:53 PM

When I graduated (many moons ago! Lol!), I received money in various amounts from people. I grew up in a lower-middle class family, and so I didn't receive piles of cash or anything.

But what I remember being most tickled about getting were the huge bouquets of flowers I got from my Mom and a close family friend! They were personalized with ribbons they had put on themselves, and nice cards.

To this day I don't remember how much money I got, but I do remember those flowers. :D

I think that flowers have a way of making most girls see past getting a lesser money amount.

So maybe some flowers with $20 for the neighbor, and $20-40 per kid for the others?

SoulBliss 06-11-2008 09:13 PM

Itunes gift cards are usually popular (most everyone has an MP3 player). Starbuck's is another good bet.

I think cash is a great gift, even if it is $10. I LOVE cash. :)

When I have had to save money and was hit by several such events at once, I've bought gift cards so I saved an automatic $3 or so on the card and even more on gift bags and wrapping.

It IS the thought that counts and I don't know any teen who wouldn't be happy with even a $10 gift card (that is a few drinks at Starbucks!).

shelby897 06-11-2008 09:18 PM

If they have a car or use mom and dad's -- how about a gas gift card? Also, I was more appreciative of the $5 I got from an aunt who couldn't afford it than the $100 from an uncle who was much better off!! (I have been mailing out $20's this year).

chickybird 06-11-2008 09:49 PM

A gas gift card, or one to Sonic maybe? Or, picture frames; grads take a lot pictures this time of year. You could even decorate your own.

auntie g 06-11-2008 10:10 PM

Thanks everybody!

GradPhase 06-11-2008 10:36 PM

20 dollar gift card to amazon.com for text books was REALLY nice for me.

When you're paying 600 dollars per semester for USED books, every bit helps - and amazon carries used textbooks now.

EZMONEY 06-11-2008 10:55 PM

Yep....every little bit helps!