3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   Weird marriage question (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/142569-weird-marriage-question.html)

Shopaholic1204 05-17-2008 02:58 AM

Weird marriage question

I will be married for 4 years this December. So I was wondering...when do you stop being called Newlyweds??

blondebritbrat17 05-17-2008 03:15 AM

That's so odd.. lol I was wondering the same thing and me and my hubby had the same discussion just last week. Yesterday was my 4th year wedding anniversary as well. We haven't heard anyone refer us as newlyweds this past year anymore so I'd guess after about 2 to 3 years of marriage.

Shopaholic1204 05-17-2008 03:23 AM

Well thats a bummer..lol. I was hoping it would be like 5 years or something, lol.

Congrats on your 4th Anniversary!!

blondebritbrat17 05-17-2008 04:43 AM

Lol sorry to disappoint! Thanks for the congrats.

walking2lose 05-17-2008 08:42 AM

I think it's when you stop feeling like newlyweds. We will hit year 4 this summer and people refer to us frequently as newlyweds. We are by no means all over each other in public or anything like that, but I think we must still give off the newlywed vibe. Also, I took a class recently with a prof in his seventies. He often spoke of his wife in class, always referring to her as his "bride." Toward the end of the semester, she popped in to class one day to tell him something and his face just lit up. It was the cutest, and I bet they still feel like newlyweds!

I think my DH and I have another year or two before we will stop feeling like newlyweds (maybe it's when you stop following each other around the house, just because you want to be near the other person??).

Happy Anniversary ladies!

srmb60 05-17-2008 09:01 AM

We're 29 years this August. A 89 y o patient told that's just newlyweds ;) They are 62 years!

ladybugnessa 05-17-2008 09:04 AM

we'll be married 4 years in december too! congrats

I guess it's when you stop feeling like newlyweds.

EZMONEY 05-17-2008 09:26 AM

heck I don't know...but I think as long as you enjoy each other it really doesn't matter!

Shopaholic1204 05-17-2008 12:17 PM

Well if thats the case..then I hope we never stop being newlyweds. We still follow each other around the house..and always want to be together. We still cuddle on the couch while watching TV. We do all that stuff still. My grandparents are like that too. My grandma's eyes light up whenever my grandpa walks into the room. They've been married 60+ years.

StillTryin 05-17-2008 12:19 PM

I think the general population pretty much stops referring to you as newlyweds after about 2 years...but some people may tell you that you still seem like newlyweds many years into a marriage. It (IMO) has to do with HOW you treat, act, and are with each other when others are and are not around!

kaplods 05-17-2008 01:07 PM

My husband and I have been married, just a little over 5 years. Sometimes we feel like newlyweds, sometimes we feel like an "old married couple." My husband's 38, and I'm 42, but we're on disability for health and pain issues, so sometimes the "old" refers more to how we're feeling than to how long we've been married.

I think there's sort of this idea that a marriage starts to be boring at some point ("the honeymoon is over"), so it's a great compliment to be called "like newyweds," but I think that the later "stages" of marriage have been greatly underestimated. Sometimes friends and family, and even aquaintances at church have said that they can't believe that David and I have only known each other for 6 years, that we seem to have been together all of our lives.

I think of newlywed status as the time period when you're learning about yourself and the other person in the growing relationship more than you already know. By that definition, I think my husband and I are no longer newlyweds. We are still learning about each other, and will our entire lives, and there's still magic, though it is a different magic. There's less surprise/excitement and more wonder/awe. We can sit in a room, lost in our own activities my husband playing his computer games, me watching television and crocheting and not say a word for hours, and yet if one of us were not there, the other would feel the absence.

Being an oldlywed is pretty cool too.

PhotoChick 05-18-2008 01:00 AM

Ya know ... everyone talks about how great it is to be newlyweds, but I loved, loved, *loved* being the "old married couple". I loved that we had longevity in our marriage (ok, yeah, not so much any more ... but we did). I loved the being able to read each other with a look across the room ... and know that other people noticed it. I loved that we finished each other's sentences and told each other's stories. I loved that people laughed that I knew what he wanted before he did and vice versa. I loved the stability that came with the "old married couple" vs. the "newlyweds".

I still love my DH, even though things somehow fell apart. I wish it had been different, but i know neither of us would have traded our time together for anything.

TJFitnessDiva 05-18-2008 10:58 AM

My husband and I still get called newlyweds but I think it's our attitude, we hold hands, kiss, say "I love you" all the time....I still get butterflies when he just looks at me lol :) I've been with him for over 12 years but married for 5.

So people might stop considering you a newlywed but I would never let that "phase" go out of my marriage!

Amy8888 05-19-2008 12:52 PM

Another person getting ready to celebrate our 4th anniversary, this Friday in fact! I think the fact that I have to keep reminding myself that it will be our anniversary is one clue that we're not newlyweds.

Honestly, this is hard for me to answer because I got pregnant around our first anniversary. Having a baby certainly changes the dynamics of things! When you have a little one to care for, it changes your priorities a little and you don't identify with your spouse as THE main person in your life anymore (I mean my husband is still the most important full-grown person, but we both work together to care for our little ones, KWIM?).