General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-05-2008, 02:43 PM   #16  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Maybe I'm pessimistic but I don't have much hope for the Wiifit. It really depends on how well they do it. Sure you can do yoga, but you can do yoga without it. You can also do pushups without it.

The thing that does kind of look interesting is such things as Wii Ski. Other game related activities including dancing (kind of like ddr?), or what not might have some use.
I would think the appeal is that it's interactive and fun. Sure, you can do pushups without it, but how boring is that? If I'm going to do pushups, I'd prefer to have some cute little cartoon people involved I think if it's made fun (especially with the game-type exercises), I'll be more likely to want to do it. This, of course, coming from someone who HATES exercising.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:15 PM   #17  
Stepping Up

S/C/G: 228/ticker/160

Height: 5ft 9.5

mine is being delivered tomorrow... i cant wait.. it has over 40 games.. all of which work on posture, muscle tone, cardio and balance.

it weighs you, it measures BMI.

i cant wait to get it!
PrettyPaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:27 PM   #18  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Jill,

I agree. Maybe I was a bit too pessimistic I mean I think the Wii Fit does have promise but if someone expects it to whip them into shape, I'm not sure that will be the outcome. Saying that, I preordered a Wii fit when I bought my Wii a couple weeks ago. I think some of the games will be pretty fun and I like that it is an active game system, which is why I bought the Wii. Although I wish some of the games I bought were a bit more active than they are.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:42 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 158.4/158.4/143

Height: 5'7

XD Im actually going to ask my mother if she can give one to me or if she can like, pay the half of it or something..

Nelie: I agree, I've read some articles about it, and it's not like you can use it and think you'll get into shape just like that.. But I think it would be a great start, at least for me who is not used to exersice... at all.. except for P.E.... like.. two years ago since I had P.E in school, haha.. But it's going to be lots and lots of fun to play it! ^_______^
polypeptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:22 PM   #20  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I think some of the games will be pretty fun and I like that it is an active game system, which is why I bought the Wii. Although I wish some of the games I bought were a bit more active than they are.
I TOTALLY agree with this. I mean, here they come out with a system designed to be used with motion instead of just buttons, and yet so many of the games require little or no motion at all. I noticed that with a lot of the games Jeff has played on the Wii--they might have you use the controller to point at the screen and use as a cursor, but beyond that, he still never gets of his butt. I thought the majority of the games for the system would be much more active.

Last edited by jillybean720; 05-05-2008 at 05:23 PM. Reason: I can't type :P
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:56 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 253/See Ticker/170

I can't believe this!!!! I have been at my son's butt, b*tching about too much game playing and now I want a WII!!!!

Thanks Ladies LOL
Tammy
ItsGreat2BeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:36 PM   #22  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I'm really glad to hear that the weight limit of the system is not only 300 lbs. My husband and I are both looking forward to buying a Wii system, when we gather the funds. Maybe we'll even be under 330 by then.

Do I think the system is going to tie my down and make me burn calories? No, because I'm fat not stupid, LOL. Are there people who will buy it with unrealistic expectations? You bet. They're going to find out just like they did when they bought the exercise bike, treadmill or whatever, and didn't use it.

But, I don't think the power of fun can be discounted. Exercise can be work or it can be play, and for many people (definitely me), fun is a more natural motivator. I love the water, and last summer when I went to a waterpark with my family, I didn't realize until the next day, how much I had actually done. My muscles were so sore, I could barely move for three days. I love the water, and would live in it, if I could. There's absolutely no way, that I'm going to lose track of time, effort or pain when bicycling, walking or weight lifting. I'm going to be aware of every painful minute, if I don't have something to distract me from it.

If the Wii can provide a distraction, while I'm moving, it will serve it's purpose for me. Just as my MP3 plalyer and DVD player do on the treadmill.

Last edited by kaplods; 05-07-2008 at 09:38 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:12 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Oh, this is exciting! I "hinted" to my kids that I wanted Wii Fit for Mother's day and I snooped around and found out that DD has preordered it and it'll ship to me on the 21st! Too cool! I can't wait.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:30 PM   #24  
Just Me

I got mine and I have to say it is interesting and I do like it. I logged 30 minutes of exercise but took me an hour to do it. The games are fun and does help with goal setting and things to work towards.

Anyone else?
Old 05-21-2008, 11:29 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 221/210/121

Height: 5'4"

Default here wii go!

got mine tonite and put in 30 minutes. pretty fun- I had to tinker to get the board weight to work right. It needs to be off carpet to measure correctly.
It wasn't a surprise when it said "obese", but it was sad to see my mii turn into a sumo wrestler
sweet_yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:21 AM   #26  
Starting Again ... Again

Height: 5' 4.5" or so

I'm glad to hear about the carpet issue. I've been really planning on getting a Wii just so we can get the Wii Fit (and so I can kick my boyfriend's butt in boxing), but we have wall-to-wall carpeting in every room but the bathroom and kitchen so now I'm thinking we'd have problems. Blerg.
whoopseedaisee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:42 AM   #27  
Just Me

whoopse, they actually include some bumper extensions if you are using it on carpet. I have an exercise mat that I placed the Wii board on top of and had no problems. You might need to buy an exercise mat if you have trouble.

Sweet, I'm with you, I was amazed to see my Mii plumped up but didn't really bother me.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:41 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Mine hasn't come yet...
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:36 PM   #29  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

We have a Wii but I am still not sure about this Wii fit... it is $100 and it is $100 to join a gym for 3 months. My money is kinda tight right now so I am trying to decided between the two.

I love exercising at home and have always done that but I got a two week free thing for the gym (last day is today) and I feel like I get such a good work at the gym (love the elliptical)... and this other gym I am going to join has a pool so I can even swim laps.... so I dunno.

How fun is it? What do you guys think? I already have the Wii... should I just get it? LOL

Last edited by sotypical; 05-22-2008 at 12:37 PM.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:48 PM   #30  
Just Me

My advice, if money is tight, is to wait. It is certainly not equivalent to a gym membership. I think it is very supplementary in exercise and is a good way to kind of play a game and be a little active at the same time.