General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-02-2008, 04:18 PM   #1  
Made of Starstuff

Default Are you a Donor?

A good friend's father died this morning waiting for a pair of lungs. It only takes a moment... if you're considering it, please become a donor, and let your family know about it.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:35 PM   #2  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

So many people just don't want to think about this issue. It isn't a pleasant thought. A statement that convinced me to sign my donor card was this:
"Are you willing to accept an organ to save your life, your child's life or another family/friend that is important to you? If so, then you should be willing to donate."
Something to think about. AND talk about with family.
Faerie-I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Thoughts and prayers to you, your friend and the family.
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Honestly, I've just never imagined NOT being a donor. I can't really think of a reason why I wouldn't be one. What harm could it possibly do me? And look how much good it could do someone else. I'm always confused when people refuse to do it.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:43 PM   #4  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Yes, I am a donor. I am on the bone marrow registry as well and donate blood.

Thank you for raising awareness in this time of sadness. I believe that your friend's father's Spirit recognizes this effort and it is bringing comfort to see that others may be helped by your selflessness.

Prayers and supportive thoughts are here for you and yours.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:08 PM   #5  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

I am also a donor--I did it when renewing my driver's license when I turned 21. I've informed my family, too (you need to do this, because I believe they can dispute it, even if you've signed up to become one). When I'm gone, I'm not going to need them anymore--and if someone, or several someones, can live by having some of my organs, why not? It's save a few human lives or become worm food. Personally, I value human life above some hungry worms.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:15 PM   #6  

I'm a donor and second the "let your family know" because they actually, I think, are the ones who have to approve it, even if you are registered. There is too much suffering in the world, why not relieve a little when you are able to.

My sympathy to your friend and her family
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:01 PM   #7  

I'm donor too.

My grandmother was a donor too, but she had cancer and they couldn't use her organs.
Hoopla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:38 PM   #8  
Leah

S/C/G: 200/ticker/147

Height: 5'7''

I've been a donor for years and give blood twice a year. I think a lot more should be done to promote these kinds of things. Thanks for the thread!
leah_0600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Yes, I'm a donor, have the box checked on my driver's license, and have told my husband and parents. I won't need them after I'm dead, and if my corneas can help someone to see, my heart/lungs/liver/kidneys can return to someone their quality of life, if my bones or skin can help an accident victim...then let the surgeons have the bits and pieces, and cremate what's left.
Darkblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:19 PM   #10  
soon to be a SkinnyDipper

S/C/G: 256/232/139

Height: 5'4"

I'm a donor too, I have it listed on my ID but also carry a separate donor consent card I had printed off the net and had my husband witness. I feel very strongly about being a donor if possible. In fact, I told my Husband that if anything bad should happen and he didn't allow my organs to be donated I'd come back and haunt him lol.
I'm also a blood and plasma donor and am going to be on the bone marrow registry as soon as my weight is low enough to qualify.
ChunkyDunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:25 PM   #11  

absolutely!!

what better way to live on!!
angeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:45 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 164.3/see ticker/118

Height: 5'3"

I'm a donor. I couldn't image not being one. Both my parents are donors as well. When I was growing up my parents used to discuss being donors with me and my brother at the dinner table. (My dad has always said that if he ran for Prime Minster he would create two new laws: 1) All restaurants would have to post their nutritial info on their menues. 2) You would automatically be a donor - you would have to check your driver's licence stating that you DID NOT want to be a donor) I was prepared to be a bone marrow donor for my mom when she had cancer (thankfully she didn't need it). I'm also going to be tested to see if I'm a suitable bone marrow donor for my boyfriend's dad.
shantroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:13 PM   #13  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

My family knows my wishes to be a donor, and have no problems with it. However, I chose not to sign on my license because I want my family to really make sure I'm beyond help first. We have had bad medical history with the doctors, so there is zero trust on our part. Yes, I know that you can't generalize the entire medical field by a few bad apples, but I rather err on the side of caution.
NemesisClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:26 PM   #14  
blissfully gluten-free

S/C/G: 195/192/170

Height: 5'7"...................................... waist: 38"/34"/28"

Thumbs up

I'm a donor, my husband is a donor, and we both know one another's wishes, should it come down to our say-so vs. the paperwork.

Use it all! Save lives. Learn from the rest. It's alllll goin' to anyone who needs it. The ultimate recycling!

Faerie, I'm sorry about your friend's loss.

Cheers,
full of grace
full of grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:28 PM   #15  
Made of Starstuff

Thank you all for these kind thoughts. My friend's family really does appreciate them.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote