3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   Another book thread- what are you reading right now? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/132163-another-book-thread-what-you-reading-right-now.html)

mandalinn82 01-22-2008 05:13 PM

I got a signed copy of the new Sue Grafton for Christmas...and apparently, she had little "T is for Trespass" Tea Bags at the book signing, so the giver gave me a few of those as well...I want to drink them, but I can't bring myself to! That's on my list coming up also.

alinnell 01-22-2008 05:16 PM

Amanda, back when "M" came out, my friend had her copy signed--Sue signed it "M is for Michelle" as my friend's name is Michelle. So cute.

mandalinn82 01-22-2008 05:23 PM

My partner got an "S is for Sarah" as well when S is for Silence came out. Wish I'd known about her back in the beginning (think she'd sign an "A" for me?)

WaterRat 01-22-2008 07:45 PM

Quote:

Woohoooo, so many books! This was a dangerous thread to start! i'm a used book sale-aholic. I have more books than will ever fit on my shelves and probably more than I can read in my entire lifetime- and I'm young!
Dana - you have to do what I did - work in a library! And I get to buy the books, even! We always have the books I'm interested in. :) I have read some of Laura Lippmans, and they are good. I especially like British mysteries, but frankly I'm a print-aholic; I'll read almost anything, except westerns and sci-fi unless I'm stuck somewhere....

angeline 01-22-2008 09:32 PM

I finished "Pillars of the Earth" earlier this month. I loved it too. Very engaging story line; really end up caring about the characters.

Also loved "The Glass Castle"!

Currently plodding through "Eat, Pray, Love". Just not really into it. Can't seem to read very much at one time.

Next up, possibly "Water For Elephants" or I may pick up Follet's new book.

djs06 01-22-2008 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterRat (Post 2014295)
Dana - you have to do what I did - work in a library! And I get to buy the books, even! We always have the books I'm interested in. :) I have read some of Laura Lippmans, and they are good. I especially like British mysteries, but frankly I'm a print-aholic; I'll read almost anything, except westerns and sci-fi unless I'm stuck somewhere....

Believe me, I've considered it! :lol: There are also tons of indie/used bookstores in my town and I'm dying to get a part time job there, but that would be dangerous! Do you still work in a library?

Angeline, I've heard very mixed reviews of Eat, Pray, Love. I bought it for my grandma for Christmas and it seems like people have either really liked it or been extremely bored by it. Hmm. Glad I didn't buy it for myself! Water for Elephants is on my to-read list too.

trekkiegirl 01-22-2008 11:49 PM

I'm in the middle of reading "The Freedom Writers' Diary." Saw the movie last year.

alinnell 01-23-2008 10:00 AM

Amanda~you'll have to look for a first edition of "A is for Alibi" and take it to her next signing! That would be some great gift (hint, hint for Sarah!!).

I loved Water for Elephants--a very good story.

LisaMarie71 01-23-2008 11:14 AM

I loved some of the books you guys have already mentioned: Love in the Time of Cholera, Oryx and Crake, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan...

I'm interested in all things pregnancy lately, so I'm just finishing a memoir called "Knocked Up." It's ok, a little funny, but I really hate the writer's personality so that makes it less than enjoyable! She's depressed when her weight climbs up to 114, after all, so it's kind of hard for me to relate...

Next is probably Water for Elephants, which I've been meaning to read forever. I may pick up Pillars. It's hard to read as much as I want to during the school year because I'm usually rereading the novels that I have to teach. I can't wait for the summer when my big pregnant self can prop up on the couch and read all day!

midwife 01-23-2008 02:00 PM

Water for Elephants is very good. (Where did my copy go?? Hmmmmm....)

I'm part of the way into the Historian and then it fell behind by bed and I wasn't that motivated to get it out so that says a lot I guess.

I picked up a couple of mysteries at a book exchange last night. I'm also reading a book about Native American healing and wellness rituals/herbs, etc. Fun pregnancy lore in there!

Wanted to add I love #1 Ladies Detective Agency!! I've read 4 or 5 of them. "Traditionally built" cracks me up.

WaterRat 01-23-2008 03:38 PM

Yes, Dana, I do still work in a library. I'm the director here in our small city library (we serve about 25,000 people). I love to see what everyone is reading.

Water for Elephants is waiting to be loaded on my MP3 player as soon as I get to it....

Midwife, I love all of Alexander McCall Smith's books, though I usually listen to them. It does take away the need to figure out how to pronounce those Botswanian names! :lol: But he has 2 series set in Scotland too, and the readers on those are great.

Eat, Pray, Love - eh. I read it. Enjoyed the eating in Italy (yummy) and the praying section was interesting, but totally was not into the last section. Ended up feeling she was a little too self-involved for me.

txangelgirl 01-23-2008 11:56 PM

BIG Beth Moore fan here, so I have been reading Believing God, and also by Stormie Omartian the Hidden Power of Praising God

aud 01-24-2008 12:23 AM

Addicted to audio books - commute AND when working out. For some strange reason, I can barely remember titles or authors of audios. kooky.:dizzy:

Picked up "Blaze" at a drugstore on my way to jury duty this morning - Stephen King writing as Richard Bachman - was hard to put down when the trial was called off!

kelijpa 01-26-2008 08:00 PM

I just finished "19 minutes" Jodi Picoult, WOW! It was intense, I feel like I need to read some *fluff*. I liked "10th circle" as well.

Maybe I'll look for something Christopher Moore, I love his humor, "you suck, a love story" was a fun read (the suck part has to do with vampires :D)

jules1216 01-27-2008 08:29 AM

Just finished Isabella Moon by Laura Benedict. I really liked it.

I love Dennis Lehane--what's ironic is he's best known for Mystic River which I had a hard time getting through. Shutter Island is much better and his detective series with Patrick and Angela is really great--I hated it when I was done with the last one.