3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   ZZZZzzzzzzzzzz Does anyone snore? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/127400-zzzzzzzzzzzzzz-does-anyone-snore.html)

2Bthinagain 11-19-2007 12:28 PM

ZZZZzzzzzzzzzz Does anyone snore?

Apprently I snore pretty badly. DH can't sleep so he needs to sleep in our guest room. We both hate that.
Some nights I worry if I should do a sleep study and get one of those masks -- to avoid sleep apneia. Other times I think, well once I lose some weight....
just curious how other snorers feel about their Zzzzzz's !
;)

nelie 11-19-2007 01:09 PM

Do you sleep on your back? Have you tried sleeping on your side? Have you also tried those things that are supposed to open nasal passages?

kappy 11-19-2007 01:13 PM

I've been told I could peel wallpaper off the walls with my snoring. Even told I can be heard in the hallway of a hotel three doors away. Did the sleep study, got the machine. Don't snore anymore that I know of. Do have a semipermanent mark on the bridge of my nose now from the mask. I was getting up 2-3 times a night to go to the bathroom, now I sleep through the night. I'd say 90% of the time I put on the mask, lay down and hello! There's the morning alarm already. The kids refer to the machine as my "Darth Vadar" impression.

Think of it this way. It's a wicked catch-22, we're overweight because we aren't sleeping well, and we aren't sleeping well because we're overweight. You may even be heading for high blood pressure if you aren't already there.

Say you do the sleep study and you end up on a machine/mask. Once you lose the weight and an updated sleep study says you're fine, you can stop using it. It doesn't have to be a permanent part of your life.

2Bthinagain 11-19-2007 05:09 PM

Kappy - thanks -- I think I'll sign up for the study. I tried once before, when our oldest was a newborn......and when I showed up for the appt around 8pm, I was SO tired, and SO looking forward to a good night sleep finally, since someone else would be doing the midnight at 3am feeding.
Well I got to the study and the person to work with me forgot she was to work that night. So I waited in the lobby FOREVER, finally a lady asked who I was waiting for, she called the person at home, I sat in the lobby another hour. By the time the girl showed up to check me in and hook me up, it was 10pm and I was wired. Not at all peaceful and restful.
So then, I couldn't sleep, I tossed & turned, my eyes were open looking at the ceiling and around the room.
The next morning I got up around 6am or 6:30 something like that. She said nope, no sleep apnea..and that I was in REM all night. I told her no way could I be in REM because my eyes were OPEN...hellooo---- !!! I'd know if I was awake or asleep.
Plus I have to PEE nonstop....once I go to bed, I get up to pee about 5x before I really fall asleep -- because I have intersticial cystitis, so I'm not looking forward to going, getting hooked up and dragging all the cords to the bathroom.
But at the same time I am tired of snoring.
I thought for sure there would be more over weight people who snore.
And I do not sleep on my back. I hate sleeping on my back.
I'm always on my side or stomach.

Justwant2Bhealthy 11-20-2007 09:52 PM

My Dh says that I snore sometimes; but I'd swear that he snores a lot worse than me! Now I purposely change positions about three times a night; back to right, then back, then to left; apparently this has helped the situation, I think. Now he says that since I'm going thru MOP, that I'm a furnace; too hot, hot, hot (always was, but it's worse now). Oh well ...

NightengaleShane 11-21-2007 06:09 AM

I snore! I snored when I was thin, I snored more while overweight, and I still snore now! :lol:

When my girlfriend brought this to my attention, it seriously embarrassed me. :o I thought, "EWW! I SNORE? Like a TRUCK? Like my DAD?" but THEN I realized that my girlfriend snores, too, and blames it on breathing problems! So, I've also come to the conclusion that being overweight is definitely NOT the only reason why people snore. ;) When your nose plugs up - or when your nostrils squeeze themselves shut - your mouth opens. Because your throat isn't used to the change in position, you snore.

Does anyone have Vicks VapoRub? If you do, take some and rub it in your nostrils/up your nose. It apparently reduces your chances of snoring since it helps clear your nasal passages.

Christina7806 11-21-2007 08:21 AM

When I was heavy, I snored loud and often. The kids used to pick on me all the time. Since losing weight, there is no more snoring...verified by the kids. :) I am not sure why being heavier made me snore but I am very glad I don't do it anymore. :)

NightengaleShane 11-21-2007 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christina7806 (Post 1937184)
I am not sure why being heavier made me snore but I am very glad I don't do it anymore. :)

Facefat. The double chins can, as we sleep, press down on our throats, causing distortions in the airways, which will lead to snoring.