General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-14-2007, 07:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 272/ticker/170

Height: 65.5 inches

Default Need some advice...

I need some advice I am on the fence about this and I would like some advice from my fellow dieters. One of the reasons I decided to start my current diet is because I am going to be a bridesmaid in my friends wedding in April. She called me today and told me that we were going for our dresses on the 30th. I have been so good on this diet not cheating and I just started exercising. I am sure that I have lost at least one dress size. This is the most dedicated I have been to a diet because all of the other bridesmaids are skinny. I do not want to be the only cow walking down the aisle that day.
So here is the question.... Should I order my dress one size smaller as motivation? My mother says no because if I fall off the wagon they cannot let the dress out which I understand. On the other hand if I pay $150.00 for a dress I am going to make sure it fits. I am totally committed and I WILL lose more weight. I was hoping to be at or not far from my goal weight by her wedding (64 pounds to go). What do you ladies suggest I do? I will totally do whatever you suggest.
tjjsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:01 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Look, if you have to get fitted now and you plan to lose 64 lbs or close to it by the wedding, you're going to have to get the dress taken in anyway, right? So order it as it fits you now, and then delight in the inches of fabric being snipped away by the seamstress.

Alterations can be expensive, but the dress will fit you perfectly whether you lose weight or stay the same, and it is one less thing to worry about. Also, you never know what parts of you are going to shrink first...maybe a dress one size smaller would be too big on top and too small on bottom, or vice versa.

I had my wedding dress taken from an 18W to a 10. It is possible and the dress will look like it was made for you.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

No no and did I mention nah? I'm in the SAME boat you are in. My sister is getting married in July and I will be the maid of honor. Look at my weight, I"m not happy about where it's at. I got measured at the bridal shop and that will be the dress they will order. It's much easier to take a dress in then to add more material.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:20 PM   #4  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

No matter what size you wear now you should get the dress to fit. You might be ok with a bit tight but that is it. You have no idea what size your body will be then. Just like Mandaline said, you could be a lot smaller one place and just smaller in another. The dress will have to be altered to fit you anyway since the date is not right around the corner and you are losing weight. Might as well make sure there is plenty for them to alter lol. I would ask where you are getting the dress from about the dress being altered. They might have suggestions how much that particular dress can be altered. Some dresses can be altered more than others. Depends on the style of dress. Good luck with your weight loss.

Keep in mind we don't diet. Diets don't work. The journey you are making isn't about one occasion. It is about everyday. You deserve to be a more fit and healthy person. Make all your hard work last for a lifetime.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 11-14-2007 at 08:21 PM.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 272/ticker/170

Height: 65.5 inches

Ok then its decided I will get the dress to fit and have it altered later. I am sure that will do wondersfor my self-esteem.
tjjsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:00 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

You're not going to fall of the diet. Get it one size smaller if you have at least 3 months until the wedding. Stop doubting yourself. My niece ordered her wedding dress when she weighed 190. She lost 60 pounds (she's 5'1") and they had a terrible time taking it in. It totally changed the look of the dress. If it's a simple A line or similar dress, they can take it in several dress sizes, but if it has any puckers or pleats, forget it looking nice if you loose more than 2 dress sizes.
missy3gal is offline   Reply With Quote