General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-20-2010, 09:41 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 260/249/180

Height: 6'

Count me in as a healthy, toned goal rather than a "thin" or "skinny" goal!! Forget it - there ARE men out there who appreciate a truly healthy body type. My goal weight is 20 pounds heavier than what the charts say - well, the charts are wrong. I am healthy, strong, and feel good anywhere from 180 - 190 pounds. AND I've maintained those weights. So forget starvation - I'm making over my body to be healthier, not post-apocalyptic starvation thing.
buttons77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:13 AM   #32  
doing it for me

S/C/G: 163/190/125

Height: 5'6"

This is an EXCELLENT post!!!
I've been thinking this lately too. I read an article in a magazine a couple of weeks ago about plus sized models. It made me think. So we have anorexic models and plus-sized models. What about NORMAL models?! You know, people who are fit and healthy and represent the majority of the population?!?!
It annoyed me a lot. Glad to see I'm not the only one!!
katylil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:05 PM   #33  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losing It 2010 View Post
Great post and I agree 100% with everything said here.

To go one step further for those of you all old enough to remember. At one point smoking was acceptable and everyone did it until about the 60's and slowly over the past 40 decades smokers became the target of discrimination and disgust. I feel like that we are moving into this societal way for overweight people whether it be 10lbs or 300 lbs overweight.
I see this happening too. Insurance companies are going to probably lead the way on this one (they do with everything else). I do appreciate how the medical community, however misguided they are, is trying to help people manage their weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonwoman64 View Post
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CDIQ9QEwBg

I see this pic all the time as an example of heavy (bbw) women who are attractive. um. I see them as average to thin.
I agree. I only wish that I looked as good as those ladies--they're toned and have lovely skin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katylil View Post
This is an EXCELLENT post!!!
I've been thinking this lately too. I read an article in a magazine a couple of weeks ago about plus sized models. It made me think. So we have anorexic models and plus-sized models. What about NORMAL models?! You know, people who are fit and healthy and represent the majority of the population?!?!
It annoyed me a lot. Glad to see I'm not the only one!!
As someone else brought up upthread (it's still timely even if the thread was started in 07), here in MN I am considered downright tiny. At a 6-8 I have many people tell me that I am too thin, including family members, friends and co-workers. I think that the average size of women--a 14/16 in the US, makes me look really small in comparison.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:28 PM   #34  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/22/t-...rkin&st=Search

The F Word by Daphne Merkin (NYT Fashion Mag, Aug 2010)

The stigmatizing term “obese,” from the Latin obesus, originally meant “having eaten well” until it was reclassified by 19th-century doctors and health workers, just as “fat” was once a flattering term used by the Greeks.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote