I dyed!

• About 6 weeks ago, I decided to dye my hair from brown to red. The red I started with was pretty bland....it was very natural looking, but kinda too brownish orange IMO. So today I picked a new shade of red. And it is..............RED. Very, very red. Just wondering, for those of you who dye, and more specifically those who dye to a hard-to-keep color, if there is a brand of shampoo/conditioner color extender that actually does a good job (and doesn't cost a ton).
  • Congratulations on coming over to the fun side!! I use Pureology, which is a professional product, but really keeps my hair vibrant. Loreal and Pantene both have anti-fading color shampoos, which may work well. I only wash my hair every 2 days (3 if I can get away with it), and I use an antifade conditioner as well. I also don't sit in the sun, as that will fade your hair too. I love my red hair, but it really is high maintenance!!
  • Pantene Expressions shampoo and conditioner-the kind for red hair.

I am a licensed cosmotologist, and user of it myself!
  • I always try to recommend a shampoo with a sunscreen as well as formulated for colored hair. Matrix and Paul Mitchell have nice color-safe shampoos available at salons. Make sure you condition a lot and protect your hair from the sun...even consider using a hat or do-rag if you are doing yard work. Red are the first pigment molecules to escape a hair strand, so keeping it in good condition will help to smooth your hair strand and keep those cuticles from letting the red go.

Enjoy your new color!!