3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   What can I do about this???????????? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/120751-what-can-i-do-about.html)

staciec878 08-19-2007 10:50 AM

What can I do about this????????????

modkittn 08-19-2007 10:53 AM

You should call the pharmacy and ask. You should be able to tell them that you don't want anyone besides yourself and your husband (if you are married) to pick up your prescription.

staciec878 08-19-2007 11:09 AM

Well since they already gave them out, is there anthing else I can do about this??? There has to be some kind of law about this. I dont think just anyone can go in and get your prescripttion. Im sorry Im just really uset about this.

bargoo 08-19-2007 11:10 AM

I would definetly talk to the manager/owner of the store. This doesn't sound right.

modkittn 08-19-2007 11:11 AM

Well did you call them or go there and tell them that they gave it to someone else? I think you need to contact the pharmacy first.

At my pharmacy, they just ask the name and confirm your address. So if someone knows your address and whatever medications you are on, they can probably get them without any problems, unless the pharmacist knows you really well!

staciec878 08-19-2007 11:43 AM

Is there any privacy laws against this?

modkittn 08-19-2007 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staciec878 (Post 1821148)
Is there any privacy laws against this?

Here is CVS's privacy policy in TX:

http://www.cvs.com/corpInfo/privacy/nopps/NOPPwebTX.pdf

staciec878 08-19-2007 12:04 PM

I cant click on that link, it says I need to download something. Im just wondering If I can do anything other than talk to the manager about this. That was personaly information on what drugs im taking and I just dont appreciate them giving my prescription to someone else.

modkittn 08-19-2007 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staciec878 (Post 1821165)
I cant click on that link, it says I need to download something. Im just wondering If I can do anything other than talk to the manager about this. That was personaly information on what drugs im taking and I just dont appreciate them giving my prescription to someone else.

You need to download Adobe Acrobat Reader. Its perfectly safe to install that. Lots of websites use pdf format to display something as a document.

Basically, they said they share information with personal relatives, etc when needed. Didn't say anything about actually giving out prescriptions. I don't know why you don't want to talk to the manager, since it seems like this is the only thing that will keep this from happening again. Is there a reason you don't want to talk to them?

Were you able to get your prescription from your relative at least?

staciec878 08-19-2007 12:11 PM

Im about to leave to go talk to him about this. I called him earlier, but the pharamacy doesnt open to 12. To me its not the point of my relative giving them to me, I dont think its anybody business to see what kind of medication im taking, When I was up there last night explaining this to the pharamacist. She sayes that they have to check for id when giving out cripts escpecailly narcatiots. If she would have checked the Id, she would have seen that wasnt me. Im just mad. Its no ones business except mine what kind of medicie in on. This is making me reall upset, and I dont know what else to do except talk to the manager, who probaly wont be much help.

shelby897 08-19-2007 12:45 PM

I've worked in the medical practice all my life -- I don't think they had any right to give it to a family member and I would contact the pharmacy's main number if I were you (not the store, the CVS headquarters). I really think if you want to, you could follow this up quite far. Our CVS makes you sign for a prescription and unless your family member signed your name (fraudulently), they should have at least noticed this.

modkittn 08-19-2007 01:14 PM

I wasn't saying it was right to give your relative the prescription - certainly not! I was just worried and wondering if you were still able to get it, if it was something you couldn't miss taking!

ennay 08-19-2007 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelby897 (Post 1821214)
I've worked in the medical practice all my life -- I don't think they had any right to give it to a family member and I would contact the pharmacy's main number if I were you (not the store, the CVS headquarters). I really think if you want to, you could follow this up quite far. Our CVS makes you sign for a prescription and unless your family member signed your name (fraudulently), they should have at least noticed this.

You know I have gone in for my husbands prescriptions and vice versa multiple times and noone has even blinked. At most I have gotten the question "what is the prescription" and if I knew what he was getting that was good enough. Usually not even that though No one who gave me these prescriptions has ever had any way to know or verify our relationship. No one has ever asked for ID. All I ever did was walk up to the counter and say I am here to pick up a prescription for Joe Schmo and they handed it right over as long as I paid the co-pay. - I signed my own name to the release form and even had the pharmacist do the usage consult.

EZMONEY 08-19-2007 01:32 PM

I deal with CVS and have never had anyone question wether or not it was me or asked for ID when picking up my prescriptions. I just call in and pick up.

I can see where this might not be a good thing.

modkittn 08-19-2007 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ennay (Post 1821282)
You know I have gone in for my husbands prescriptions and vice versa multiple times and noone has even blinked. At most I have gotten the question "what is the prescription" and if I knew what he was getting that was good enough. Usually not even that though No one who gave me these prescriptions has ever had any way to know or verify our relationship. No one has ever asked for ID. All I ever did was walk up to the counter and say I am here to pick up a prescription for Joe Schmo and they handed it right over as long as I paid the co-pay. - I signed my own name to the release form and even had the pharmacist do the usage consult.

I've done the same thing a bunch of times! I'm sure though that if you told them you didn't want anyone but you picking something up that they could put a "Check ID" in their computer so that when any script wrung up was yours, it alerted the salesperson/pharmacist to check your id.

jtammy 08-19-2007 02:19 PM

In my experience most pharmacies work like this. I have picked up meds for my parents, my children, my husband, my grandparents, and no one ever asked for ID. I should clarify that I have always done this at their request. This is from dealing with local pharmacies as well as chain ones.

I'm not saying it's a good thing, but it is not unusual. And of course, there are plenty of times when someone else has to pick up a prescription for you. If you've just had surgery and are sent home with a prescription for pain, someone has to go get it for you. I agree that until you talk to them, you won't be able to prevent this from happening again. :shrug:

ANOther 08-19-2007 03:54 PM

I too have picked up prescriptions for my boss and nobody has ever questioned me, even when the Rx was for Percocet. The thought has flickered across my mind that if I could hack into computers and were criminally minded, I could plant a phoney Rx for Percocet, pick it up and I'd be in la-la land or selling the dope on the street in no time :s: Thank goodness I'm not criminally minded and don't know how to hack !

modkittn 08-21-2007 03:46 PM

How did things go at the pharmacy?

kaplods 08-21-2007 09:56 PM

I think privacy policies are good practice, but some of them have gotten a little out of hand (in my opinion). When I am ill, I definitely want to be able to send my husband to pick up a prescription for me without a lot of red tape.

I know when I wanted him to pick up a printout of all of my prescriptions for the year (for insurance purposes), they would not allow it because of privacy issues. That being said, I believe they assume that a person would have to know that you have a prescription to pick it up. And how would they know? Why you would have told them of course.

My question would be that if you do not want anyone to be able to pick up your prescription for you, why and how do they know which pharmacy you use, and that you have a prescription there to pick up. If they showed up to the wrong pharmacy or at the right pharmacy when you had no prescrptions ready, that would be a major red flag that the person was up to something funny. However if you want to keep your prescriptions secret and inaccessible to someone, you would simply not tell them when or where you have your medications filled.

LindseyLouWho 08-21-2007 10:31 PM

I lived in Texas for five years and never had anyone ask me for anything other than a phone number or address when confirming my identity when picking up a prescription.

I agree with Kaplods... how did this relative know what pharmacy you use and that you had something there waiting? If you just happened to casually mention that you needed to run to the pharmacy later to pick something up and that's how they found out, maybe next time don't mention anything? That's the only thing I can think of to do.

Personally, I want for other people to be able to pick up and drop off my prescriptions for me. There are some times when it's more convenient for that person, or I might be unable to, such as if I'm really sick or right after a surgery for pain medication.

If you do tell the pharmacist to put a check ID flag on your prescriptions, maybe you could designate another trusted friend/family member to be added to that list so that in the event of illness or whatever, that person could be sent to get your medications.

I could see your frustrations though, and how convenience for some could be used for fishy business with others...

lizziness 08-21-2007 11:51 PM

Another good reason to use your insurance company's online services. I get all my stuff mailed to me. Of course, this doesn't work for immediate things like - needing penicillin when I'm sick - but it does work on monthly prescriptions.

I have always thought it was strange that just anybody could do this. Once I picked up my boyfriends grandmother's drugs from Fred Meyers and they didn't even bat an eye. Seemed a little strange - all you'd really need to do is be close at hand and listen for a name then go over there and ask for it later... hrmmm.

modkittn 08-22-2007 07:57 AM

liziness - I'd do mailings if I could, but my insurance doesn't do it. :(

shelby897 08-22-2007 09:57 AM

Just curious, what possessed your family member to pick up your perscription in the first place?

I've worked more on the other end -- we had a patient steal a prescription pad once and try to turn in scripts for narcotics (which have a whole seperate form) but she couldn't manage to spell the doctor's name right when she signed it.

lizziness 08-22-2007 11:25 AM

shelby- once when I worked at a copy place we had a guy white out a prescription and try to make copies of the "blank" one with the signature. We had to kick him out. people do the craziest things.