3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   Does anyone do payroll? (rant) (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/119590-does-anyone-do-payroll-rant.html)

alinnell 08-03-2007 01:16 PM

Does anyone do payroll? (rant)

My DH and I own a small construction company and we farm out our payroll to an outside company. Earlier this year we were told that the company we used (Intuit Payroll) had sold all or part of their payroll business to ADP and that we would be moving to ADP. In April, I had to fill out all the forms to get us started with ADP. In June we were notified that ADP would be taking over our payroll as we were all set up.

What.A.FIASCO!

They had not set up our employees in the correct departments. We were told that if employees crossed departments that they would get separate checks each week for every department in which they worked (our guys work in 3 different departments each week) and that would mean they'd get 3 W-2 forms at the end of the year. They did not set up our worker's comp report and I had to fill out more forms for this. I submitted the new forms over a month ago and they still do not have us set up for worker's comp reports (that means we have 2 months with NO BACKUP for our annual w/c audit!). We've had our employees fill out the forms for direct deposit and we've been waiting over 3 weeks for this to be set up (and it is still not done). Our local rep refuses to return my calls. I received backup of our EDD report that was filed for us, but no report of our quarterly Federal Tax return.....today they can't even tell me what day they filed it in our behalf but they say we'll get our copy in about 10 days. Why so long?

Ugh! Does anyone there use ADP successfully? I contacted a local payroll company and am switching....I can't wait! It takes about 10 days to set us up, so that means at least 2 more pay periods with ADP. Seriously, every time I call I get more and more frustrated!

Sorry for the rant.

EZMONEY 08-03-2007 01:38 PM

Sorry for the problem ALLISON :hug: From being in business myself for many years (not any more) I feel your pain. Mostly my ex-wife does I bet, she did my payroll all those years...maybe that's why she is my EX~wife ;)

NotTheCheat 08-03-2007 02:07 PM

I use Paychex and have considered from time to time moving to ADP. They seem to have better online functionality, which would be nice since my CFO isn't local. Wow - that is a real horror story. Paychex is able to set up new direct deposit info I send in for the very same paycheck - no waiting. We don't really use the department functions, but what you are saying makes no sense to me. People shouldn't need to get different checks - that is ridiculous. Why would they want to try and set you up that way?

They are liable if you end up having any fines for anything they improperly filed, although I am sure that doesn't ease too much of the pain. I am glad you are switching away from them if they are being this incompetent with your payroll. No one should have to have those kinds of headaches for a service like that.

alinnell 08-03-2007 04:50 PM

Now that I've heard from other people from another forum I belong to, I'm not the only one to experience problems with ADP. Apparently they don't really care for the small businesses....and that is what we are.

And to top it off, I've now determined that they have not filed our quarterly IRS return. I called the IRS, it was due 7/31 and I was "assured" it "would have been filed before the due date" but they had no way of determining when it was filed. Per the IRS, if it was e-filed (which I was told it was), then it would show in the IRS system within 48 hours. There is no record. It should have shown up yesterday at the latest. I have a call into ADP to have a supervisor call me back.........still waiting 45 minutes later.

alinnell 08-03-2007 04:50 PM

Thanks for the hug, Gary! I needed it. I had to have a glass of wine with lunch..........oy, the stress!

Slashnl 08-03-2007 04:51 PM

My sympathies! My husband has his own business and I used to do the payroll and some accounting (along with my full time job and shuttling our two active kids). In order to avoid becoming an "EX", we now have an accountant/bookkeeper doing out payroll and accounting. It is the most humbling experience to have to try to do payroll and keep up with tax laws.

alinnell 08-03-2007 06:34 PM

Payroll is a bugger and that's why we have an outside agency do it for us. There's no way I'd want to keep up with all the rules and regulations! So we PAY for someone to do it for us.

The newest turn on the situation is that they have not filed our quarterly tax return. They said that they would be responsible for any penalties. I said I wanted that in writing (usually the penalty is 10% so that would be thousands of dollars!!). I'm still waiting for that fax. I will be pleasantly surprised if it shows up.