General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-07-2007, 11:47 AM   #106  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Lupin is on guard to be safe, but I do believe that he was doubtful-especially when Harry lets him know that he saw Peter Pettigrew in the Maurader's Map.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:04 PM   #107  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

OK i didnt read it yet, nor did I read the posts that were made either, what I can tell you is that I finished watching the 5th movie and had to come home and read the 6th book. I am anxiously waiting to read the 7th when my son is done with it, so in the meantime I am reading all the others from 1-5 since I have only seen the movies.
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:19 AM   #108  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

Aphil & others: Thanks! That really cleared it up for me. Sometimes, even though I read the previous books, I forget the little details by the time I read the latest book. Nevertheless, I agree that they should make the next few movies a lot longer, and lot more faithful to the books......
NemesisClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:24 AM   #109  
Addicted to potato salad!

Finally, I'm on here to comment on the book. It took me about a week to finish it, both because I kept having to do annoying things like cook for my family and laundry and because I wanted it to last a little longer than the day it could have taken me if I'd have locked myself in a closet with the book and let everyone fend for themselves.

I admit....I read the epilogue to be sure Harry and company lived before reading the book because I wasn't going to read the book if any of them died..especially Harry. It would have been too much. I mean, even in an epic like Star Wars, good wins out over evil. I was sad to see Fred die (especially with 'the last shadow of his last joke still on his face'), but it was war, and deaths are bound to happen in war. And Hedwig!

Anyhow...I loved every single page of the book. I cannot WAIT to see this film. Especially the part of where Harry goes to do the right thing and confront Voldemort, knowing it will be his demise, I just love Harry.

And how about Molly taking out Bellatrix! Who knew she had it in her...but there's nothing like the mother bear instinct to bring out the most violent in a woman

Okay...times up...gotta run!!
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:59 AM   #110  
Gettin Closer!!

I finished the 1st book now and I am well on my way in the second one.. I really wish I had read them when they first came out, either that or started on them sooner. I hope I can get through all the last 4 I need to read before my son gets done with the 7th one. I have 2 down..lol

And, I am purposely not reading the posts here so I dont spoil the last book for myself, but I wanted to post.....lol
Old 08-29-2007, 11:17 AM   #111  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

I'm a latecomer to the phenomenon, I saw the first two movies and part of Prisoner of Azkaban but hadn't read any of the books until then, and then after I saw the third film I started in with Goblet of Fire. I just finished Deathly Hallows last night: Yippeeeeee, yee-haw, hooray, For Harry's a jolly good wizard and so say all of us !

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphil View Post
Honestly, the only part of the book that I was disappointed in at all, was the epilogue. Rather than having it play out in a scene showing the trio with their kids and names...I would have rather had it sorta like the end of the movie "Can't Hardly Wait", where it might have said "Neville became the Herbology professor at Hogwarts, Minerva McGonagall was headmistress for such-and-such years there, Lucius Malfoy went to Azkaban, etc.

Rather than a full chapter on the trio and their kids, I would have rather known a sentence or two about most of the remaining characters-where they ended up.
I have to say I agree, it seems like in all the fray some loose ends were left untied-up that maybe some more serious Potter-heads could fill me in:

1. Above all, what became of the Dursleys? At the start of DH as they and Harry left Little Whinging to go into hiding, it sounded like they did have some grudging fondness for each other and it would have been good to know that they at least exchanged Christmas cards. (Lee Jordan's Potterwatch radio program reported the murders of an unidentified muggle family; it crossed my mind that that might have been the Dursleys, but nothing more was ever said about them.)

2. What about Mundungus Fletcher? After the Death Eaters attacked the look-alike Harrys on their way to the Weasleys, there was speculation that one of the Order of the Phoenix might be a traitor, and I thought Mundungus, who was kind of a scruffy character, would be the likeliest rat (balanced by Snape among the squadron of Death Eaters)

3. And what of Dolores Umbridge (last seen when Harry stunned her at the Ministry of Magic and seized the Slytherin locket)? Oh-h, wouldn't you have loved to see her get her butt kicked into Azkaban?
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:36 PM   #112  
Gettin Closer!!

I am 6 chapters from finishing! OMG, this is such a good book, I am anxious for the movie!!!!!
Old 08-29-2007, 10:10 PM   #113  

S/C/G: 211/200/165

Height: 5' 2.5" (HW: 222)

Default Another Harry Potter lover--YAY!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANOther View Post
I'm a latecomer to the phenomenon: Yippeeeeee, yee-haw, hooray, For Harry's a jolly good wizard and so say all of us !
I have to say I agree, it seems like in all the fray some loose ends were left untied-up that maybe some more serious Potter-heads could fill me in:

1. Above all, what became of the Dursleys? At the start of DH as they and Harry left Little Whinging to go into hiding, it sounded like they did have some grudging fondness for each other and it would have been good to know that they at least exchanged Christmas cards. (Lee Jordan's Potterwatch radio program reported the murders of an unidentified muggle family; it crossed my mind that that might have been the Dursleys, but nothing more was ever said about them.)
2. What about Mundungus Fletcher?
3. And what of Dolores Umbridge (last seen when Harry stunned her at the Ministry of Magic and seized the Slytherin locket)? Oh-h, wouldn't you have loved to see her get her butt kicked into Azkaban?
Okay, ANOther, first, let me say to the wonderful world of Harry Potter Fanaticism! Reading the books is the way to go, since Jo Rowling put so much more humor and little 'throwaways' that actually foretell a lot. So you were right to go directly to GoF in print.

The only Dursley who admitted to ANY positive feeling for Harry was Dudley. When they're all leaving the Dursley house (p.40), ...said Harry,"They think I'm a waste of space, actually, but I'm used to--"
"I don't think you're a waste of space." If Harry had not seen Dudley's lips move, he might not have believed it.
Aunt Petunia (as usual) makes a big deal out of Dudley, not Harry, who shrugs it off, when told "But he hasn't said thank you at all! He only said he didn't think Harry was a waste of space!" "Yeah, but coming from Dudley that's like 'I love you'", said Harry.

So 1) I don't think that Harry and the Dursleys will ever be in touch again, with the extremely remote possibility that Dudley might look him up. JKR consistently painted the Dursleys as deliberately mean to Harry all the time, indifferent, at best. So Christmas cards?! You must be joking, right? Good pickup on the Lee Jordan broadcast, tho--it's possible it might be the Dursleys, although I don't think Jo has specified it was them.

2) Regarding old Mundungus, the last we see of him is on p.688, where Snape is confunding him, to give the plan to LV (Lord Voldemort) and his followers.

3) I myself was disappointed that we never got to see Dolores Umbridge hurt or really humiliated in the last big fight. I personally would have LOVED to have seen her be killed in the fray--she certainly deserved it. But alas, Jo Rowling left those strings--as you so well put it: untied-up.
FatToFitVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:16 AM   #114  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
2. What about Mundungus Fletcher? After the Death Eaters attacked the look-alike Harrys on their way to the Weasleys, there was speculation that one of the Order of the Phoenix might be a traitor, and I thought Mundungus, who was kind of a scruffy character, would be the likeliest rat (balanced by Snape among the squadron of Death Eaters)
It ended up that nobody was a traitor. It's just that the name Voldemort had a magical trace on it so that's how the Death Eaters were able to keep finding Harry. I think Mundungus just got scared when he thought he was going to die and deserted the others but he wasn't working for Voldemort. In fact, in a roundabout way he sort of did them a favor by removing the locket from the house (albeit for his own ill-gotten gain) before the house was ransacked.
Mummy_Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:17 AM   #115  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I agree-Mundungus wasn't a traitor, he was simply a coward. He didn't want to be involved in the fight really, on either side.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:33 AM   #116  
Gettin Closer!!

OK I FINISHED LAST NIGHT!!! I was only 6 chapters away and had to stay up late to finish...there was no way I was going to drag it out another day. But it did help me keep my mind of the job phone call I am waiting for...(LONG STORY)

I loved it. I wish they would have had more detail in the end. It seems to me that it skipped over some issues rather quickly and I found myself going back and re-reading several paragraphs a couple times, because I thought I missed.

I was sad when Harry went to Snapes memories..that was heartbreaking. But like was said earlier maybe he was so mean to Harry was because Slytherin had postions with them and he couldnt betray his house..?

All in all, GREAT SERIES, but now I am BUMMED that it is OVER!!!!
Old 08-30-2007, 03:18 PM   #117  
New Beginning, New ME!

S/C/G: 162/133/125

Height: 5'4"

I read books 6 and 7 in the span of 5 days, I was recovering from dental surgery and had lots of time on my hand....I would have gotten done faster but OMG when Snape killed Dumbledore in Book 6 I slammed it shut and cried my eyes out and boycotted it for a day lol!!!! I LOVE SNAPE so it made me SOOO mad that he did that.....Of course when book 7 showed the truth it had me in tears again! I cried SOOOO much through these 2 books.

I CRIED when in the 6th book Snape killed Dumbledore...then I cried again when I saw that he did it FOR Dumbledore. I was a Snape fan from the beginning...

I SOBBED when DObby died OMG i just teared up just typing that good grief.....and then Kreacher leading the elves to fight!!!!! I cried when Mad Eye dies....Cried when Hedgwig died and EVERYONE that died I was a basket case....I cried when Harry saw his house, when he saw his parents grave.....I FEEL like a crybaby!!!

I LOVED the books though!! I am forcing myself NOT to read #7 again I want to soo bad but have decided to share Harry with my kids so every night before bed we read one chapter of Harry together, starting with Book 1 so this time as I experience Harry I get to share it with my 6 and 7 year olds.

My son made my night last night when he begged me not to stop at the Chapter...come on mom HALF the next one...this is SOO better than the movie! AWESOME my kid loves the book too!

Now since I won't let myself read #7 again can someone please tell me IF they mention who the new Headmaster of Hogwarts is? If she didn't mention who it is I think it should have been added! So if its in there can someone tell me WHO IT IS lol......

Awesome books and a great thing to pass to my kids. Loyalty, responsibility, friendship and HONOR.
LeaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:25 PM   #118  
Gettin Closer!!

I didnt catch that either...now I am curious!
Old 08-31-2007, 11:21 AM   #119  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Thanks for the heads-up, FatToFit, MummyTummy and aphil. I tend to be a natural speed-reader and I notice that often I latch onto some detail that I am sooooo sure has to mean SOMETHING (Exhibit A, although I realize this was a VERY minor point: Rita Skeeter's muckraking book describes Dumbledore's sister Ariana as a squib -> Harry's Privet Drive babysitter Arabella Figg is a squib [planted there by Dumbledore as an added precaution] -> she's at Dumbledore's funeral -> "Ariana" and "Arabella" sound very similar -> I was SURE they would turn out to be one and the same until Aberforth, and Dumbledore himself on the heavenly Platform 9 3/4, confirm that poor Ariana did indeed die young) and miss some other bitty detail that turns out to be the key to the whole thing! Well, I know one of these days I'm going to have to go back and read the whole thing from Sorcerer's Stone 1:1, but after 6 weeks of non-stop Hogwarts I need to cleanse my palate, so right now I'm on The Devil in the Junior League
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:25 PM   #120  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANOther View Post
Thanks for the heads-up, FatToFit, MummyTummy and aphil. I tend to be a natural speed-reader and I notice that often I latch onto some detail that I am sooooo sure has to mean SOMETHING (Exhibit A, although I realize this was a VERY minor point: Rita Skeeter's muckraking book describes Dumbledore's sister Ariana as a squib -> Harry's Privet Drive babysitter Arabella Figg is a squib [planted there by Dumbledore as an added precaution] -> she's at Dumbledore's funeral -> "Ariana" and "Arabella" sound very similar -> I was SURE they would turn out to be one and the same until Aberforth, and Dumbledore himself on the heavenly Platform 9 3/4, confirm that poor Ariana did indeed die young) and miss some other bitty detail that turns out to be the key to the whole thing! Well, I know one of these days I'm going to have to go back and read the whole thing from Sorcerer's Stone 1:1, but after 6 weeks of non-stop Hogwarts I need to cleanse my palate, so right now I'm on The Devil in the Junior League
That was quite a theory, even if it didn't work out. It could have happened, eh?

Lea, I don't think they named the new headmaster.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote