General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-24-2007, 07:16 AM   #61  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

I figure Victoire was Fleur and Bill's daughter cos it's a French name.
Mummy_Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:15 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziness View Post
I was however totally shocked about the Doe being Snape's Patronus... I was entirely convinced until the end that the Doe belonged to Ginny...to go with Harry's Stag.
I thought that it might have been Snape helping him find the sword, but I was a little hesitant...
I thought about Harry's patronus being a stag because his memory (from what I guessed) was of seeing his parents in the mirror from book 1. When Lupin told him to think of a happy memory to produce a patronus, he sortof hinted that it wasn't really a memory, but it was all he had. His was a stag because it involved thinking about his father. Lily's was a doe to go with James' stag...and Snape's was a doe because he was thinking about memories with her.

Before the book came out, I fully expected Snape's patronus to be something to do with alliegance to Lily and Dumbledore, so I was actually expecting a phoenix holding a lily, or something along those lines. But, before book 7, we never knew what Lily's patronus was...just James'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummy_Tummy View Post
I figure Victoire was Fleur and Bill's daughter cos it's a French name.
That is exactly what I concluded as well.

Honestly, the only part of the book that I was disappointed in at all, was the epilogue. Rather than having it play out in a scene showing the trio with their kids and names...I would have rather had it sorta like the end of the movie "Can't Hardly Wait", where it might have said "Neville became the Herbology professor at Hogwarts, Minerva McGonagall was headmistress for such-and-such years there, Lucius Malfoy went to Azkaban, etc.

Rather than a full chapter on the trio and their kids, I would have rather known a sentence or two about most of the remaining characters-where they ended up.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:38 AM   #63  

S/C/G: 222/=ticker=/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphil View Post
Honestly, the only part of the book that I was disappointed in at all, was the epilogue. Rather than having it play out in a scene showing the trio with their kids and names...I would have rather had it sorta like the end of the movie "Can't Hardly Wait", where it might have said "Neville became the Herbology professor at Hogwarts, Minerva McGonagall was headmistress for such-and-such years there, Lucius Malfoy went to Azkaban, etc.
I totally agree. So many loose ends. "Can' Hardly Wait" I remember seeing it in the theater with my friends. Oh, to be a teenager! lol
browneyedgirl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:40 AM   #64  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

I agree, Aphil. That ending would have been much more enjoyable and informative for me.

I honestly hope that this isn't the last we see of Hogwarts stories from Rowling. Not necessarily more in the Harry Potter series, but I wouldn't say no to reading back-stories regarding all of the wizarding families involved in the series, or the initial rise of Voldemort up until the confrontation when the Potters' were killed. I'm not saying I want her to write more for her or my benefit, it's just that her writing has already inspired SO many people to read, something a lot of people just don't do for pleasure.
Kim_Star060404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:50 AM   #65  

Oh...I forgot!

Add another part to my list of crying episodes:

When Aberforth is telling Harry about Ariana, and he talks about how she liked him best, and he used to take her out to feed the goats.

(It must have been his fondest memory, because his patronus was a goat.)

Old 07-24-2007, 10:43 AM   #66  
Feeling better every day.

S/C/G: SW: 230 CW: 200 GW: 160ish

Height: 5'5"

I love, love, love, LOVED the book. I read it in 12 hours. Only stopping to sleep. I didn't even catch the fact that Nevelle used the Gryffindor sword to kill the snake until I read ya'lls comments. So, now I am a tad confused on that one. But overall I thought it was a fantastic ending to the series. I am very sad that there will be no more Harry and friends. But I thought she did a wonderful job and I wasn't disappointed. Also, she did a great job convincing me that Snape was evil right up until the end~! I was so surprised that he turned out to be not such a bad guy. I hope the next book she puts out is as easy to love as this series was.
Piiper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:45 AM   #67  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Can we go back to the "bundle" Harry saw when he was at the King's Cross Station with Dumbledore? You guys thought it was the part of V's soul that was in Harry, but I didn't read it that way. When Harry meets Voldemort at the end, doesn't he tell him he's seen what he'll become if he can't find any remorse for his deeds? I thought he meant that bundle and, since he found no remorse, I wondered if that meant that there's still a piece of Voldemort somewhere in the universe. And does that mean that someday he might possible be resurrected? What do you think?
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:46 AM   #68  

I assumed that Neville got the sword of Gryffindor the same way that Harry did in Chamber Of Secrets-by showing the ultimate alliegance to Gryffindor. Dumbledore told Harry that only a true Gryffindor could have pulled the sword out of the sorting hat.

The hat appeared for Neville with the sword inside, as well-when Voldemort was giving him a "chance" to switch sides because of his pure blood status.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:50 AM   #69  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoodle View Post
Can we go back to the "bundle" Harry saw when he was at the King's Cross Station with Dumbledore? You guys thought it was the part of V's soul that was in Harry, but I didn't read it that way. When Harry meets Voldemort at the end, doesn't he tell him he's seen what he'll become if he can't find any remorse for his deeds? I thought he meant that bundle and, since he found no remorse, I wondered if that meant that there's still a piece of Voldemort somewhere in the universe. And does that mean that someday he might possible be resurrected? What do you think?
No, there is no bit of Voldemort left. That bundle was there at Kings Cross when Harry was-when they were both knocked out when Voldemort tried to kill Harry. They both "came to" at the same time, when Harry was playing dead. That is when both of their beings at Kings Cross both returned to their bodies, and they awoke with the Death Eaters-when Harry was playing dead, he could hear the others asking V if he was okay, etc.

Their souls were both in limbo between life and death for a couple of minutes there at Kings Cross, and then their souls both returned to their bodies. I took the flayed baby as a representation of how ripped apart V's soul was because of the Horcruxes-whereas Harry's was still whole.

Those souls were both back in their bodies when Voldemort performed the Avada Kedavra, which backfired on V and killed him, leaving Harry alive.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:12 AM   #70  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

I think V is truly gone, as well and I loved the way she wrote something like "Tom Riddle fell backwards and hit the ground in a very mundane way" to show that despite all his efforts, he could not cheat death in the end.

And yeah, the crying baby thing was V's soul, only 2/8ths complete, really (the part in Harry having been destroyed when he sacrificed himself, there was just the bit in Nagini and the one remaining w V). And Harry was whole. I loved the way Dumledore said he didn't have to go back, he could just get on a train and go "on". He did tell Harry once that death was the next great adventure.
Mummy_Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:37 PM   #71  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphil View Post
When Aberforth is telling Harry about Ariana, and he talks about how she liked him best, and he used to take her out to feed the goats.

(It must have been his fondest memory, because his patronus was a goat.)

Oh my, I missed this connection when I was reading it. How sweet and sad.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:42 PM   #72  

At the end of the big battle, when Harry and Voldemort were circling each other for the final time, Harry explained about the wand. He was the master of the elder wand because Draco disarmed Dumbledore, and he disarmed Draco. I guess the magic of it did not matter if it were the actual wand, or in the winner's possession. I thought it was clever that it worked that way, because when Harry went into the forest to meet Voldemort, he was in possession of, or at least master of, all three of the Deathly Hallows, which according to the legend would render him invincible. As the true master of the elder wand, there was no way he could be killed by it, so only the piece of Voldemort's soul in him was in danger. Of course, Harry did not realize that.

I liked the symbolism of using a baby for Voldemort's soul. He was kind of stunted emotionally from the way he grew up- in an orphanage, with no love. Inside, he was like a neglected baby who never grew up emotionally.

I read the book really fast, and would love to go back and re-read some parts, but my family is fighting over who has reading time with it now! I am trying to stay out of it and am just hoping they all finish it soon so I can have it back!
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:16 AM   #73  

S/C/G: 328/-/150

I read an article yesterday about a post book release interview that J.K. did. She said that Arthur Weasley was the death that she repreived, she said she had planned to kill him in book 5 (I assume when Nagini attacked him). She also said that she is planning on writting an enclyopedia of info with all the info on the characters and such that didn't make it into any of the books. But said not to hold our breaths for it because she wanted to take a rest before doing it.
I am personally still in a Harry Potter mourning state of mind. I feel so very sad that the journey is over.
This last book, while missing a few things I would like to have seen, was extremely well written. It was emotional and action packed, just like the last book should be. I cried my way through almost all of it, lol. I am now re-reading it a 2nd time just to pick up any thing I might of missed & to prolong saying goodbye.
Andie5205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:59 AM   #74  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

I just read a transcript from J K Rowling's interview with Meredith Vieira and she revealed a lot!

Harry and Ron work at the ministry as Aurors. They revolutionized the department and Harry is now the head.

Hermione is "pretty high up" in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement.

It says that, "Harry, Ron and Hermione don't join the same Ministry of Magic they had been at odds with for years; they revolutionize it and the ministry evolves into a 'really good place to be.'" "'They make a new world,' Rowling said".

Luna becomes the wizarding equivalent of a naturalist. She comes to see the truth about her father, that some creatures don't exist.

Neville, it says, finds happiness in his grandmother's approval and that his job as herbology prof at Hogwarts.
Kim_Star060404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:54 PM   #75  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

I finally finished the book yesterday afternoon! Definitely action-packed and hard to put down. I had heard the Snape/Lily theories after book 6 and was glad to see it was true, but for a while in the middle I was convinced Snape actually was evil!

I was glad to see Draco was somewhat redeemed as well. I did end up feeling bad for the Malfoys. I wish Neville could have gotten to kill Bellatrix though, that would have been appropriate.

The two deaths that I thought were hardest and most unexpected were Hedwig and Fred. Hedwig because it was a total surprise and I have a soft spot for animals, and Fred because I felt so bad for George. I mean, the two of them finished each other's sentences -- how must it feel to lose someone you are that close to?
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote