General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-23-2007, 05:02 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

Hagrid used magic in HP:SS when he lit the fire while talking to Harry and also when he gave Dudley the pig's tail.
Kim_Star060404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:30 PM   #47  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

Discussion Topic: Which deaths were the hardest for you? Which do you think were the two that JK did not intend to die but that she ended up writing deaths for, per her interviews? What about the one character she meant to have die who she gave a reprieve to?

1. Snape..hands down. Knew he would probably die, but he seems to be, for some reason, the character I have had the most emotional investment in..And finding out he had lived his entire life for someone else..Lived a life of lies, where he knew he would be despised...All for someone else. How much more selfless does it get? His love was so great that he took it upon himself to protect a boy, who would only remind him of what he lost and cause him all the more torment. It was just an extremely intricate character for me, and those are the best kind.

2. Hedwig, because for so long that was Harry's only friend.

I was really expecting a more monumental death. The deaths of Fred, Tonks and Lupin were sad because of the effect they would have on the people left behind, but it just didn't evoke the emotion of someone like Hermione, Ron or Harry dying. The death of Fred was purely emotionless for me when I read it, so if one was written in I would guess that was it.
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:34 PM   #48  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

The death that was hardest for me would also be Snape. I was expecting it but I still found it heartbreaking. The second for me was Lupin. I was so pleased that he and Tonks had found happiness together. Lupin had had a pretty miserable existence being a werewolf. I felt like he deserved a chance for happiness with Tonks and with their baby. I also felt like Snape deserved happiness, but I don't think he would have ever moved on past his grief and his guilt at Lily's death.

I was expecting Percy to die for some reason. Of course I was wrong there. Mandalinn I understand exactly what you mean about Fred's death. I have always enjoyed the antics of Fred and George, but they had always been a pair, and I don't feel like I got to know them seperately.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:10 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I think the death of Fred was emotionless to me when I read it in the book, but the more I reflect back on it, it has affected me more. Simply because of George being left behind...and the loss of a twin for the one remaining is greater than the loss of a regular sibling. They have never known life without one another, and the bonding starts in the womb...and it makes it worse knowing that they worked together as well and were partners in crime in their jokes, and now George is in it alone.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:09 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 222/=ticker=/150

For me hands down the hardest death was Snape's I wanted him to be vindicated in life and not in death. The second like Sockmonkey is Hedwig for the exact same reason. I also did not expect JK to kill Hedwig and so quickly it was a complete shock. Dobby was a close third. He was treated badly for so long and was finally free and risked his life to save Harry.

The two characters that I thought that she decided to add to the death list is Lupin and Tonks. It seems that their deaths weren't given much thought.

The character who I think got the reprieve is Hagrid.

As for the person who never used magic before I have no clue.
browneyedgirl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:16 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 222/=ticker=/150

OMG I just had an epiphany. Do you think that JK meant Molly? It seems that Mrs. Weasley only used her magic for housework and stuff. Maybe JK meant a display of magic not necessarily the first use of it. Molly uses avada kedavra and kills Bellatrix. Totally out of Molly's character. I don't think a strength like that has ever been displayed by Molly before.
browneyedgirl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:23 PM   #52  

Default What were the moments in general that touched you most?

There were numerous times during the book where I cried-but not always during the scene where someone died, but here are a few of the places where I ended up bawling because I was so emotionally moved

~When they were preparing Dobby for burial, and everyone gave him an article of clothing.

~When the horcrux locket was opened up, and talking to Ron, and he was being told that he was second best to Harry, that Hermione preferred Harry over him, and that his mother was yearning for a girl when she had him (after already having so many sons, etc.).

~When the Dursleys were departing, and Dudley asked why Harry wasn't going with them.

~The description of Luna's bedroom with the mural of Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, and Neville painted there.

~When Kreatcher told them the story of Regulus staying in the cave, sending Kreatcher back home, the night that he switched lockets, and Harry giving Kreatcher the decoy locket that Regulus had owned.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:25 PM   #53  

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyedgirl77 View Post
OMG I just had an epiphany. Do you think that JK meant Molly? It seems that Mrs. Weasley only used her magic for housework and stuff. Maybe JK meant a display of magic not necessarily the first use of it. Molly uses avada kedavra and kills Bellatrix. Totally out of Molly's character. I don't think a strength like that has ever been displayed by Molly before.
I don't know. It is hard to say, really, because we don't know what all her missions were with the original Order when she was in it with Harry's parents, and everyone else when they were younger.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:50 PM   #54  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphil View Post
There were numerous times during the book where I cried-but not always during the scene where someone died, but here are a few of the places where I ended up bawling because I was so emotionally moved

~When they were preparing Dobby for burial, and everyone gave him an article of clothing.

~When the horcrux locket was opened up, and talking to Ron, and he was being told that he was second best to Harry, that Hermione preferred Harry over him, and that his mother was yearning for a girl when she had him (after already having so many sons, etc.).

~When the Dursleys were departing, and Dudley asked why Harry wasn't going with them.

~The description of Luna's bedroom with the mural of Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, and Neville painted there.

~When Kreatcher told them the story of Regulus staying in the cave, sending Kreatcher back home, the night that he switched lockets, and Harry giving Kreatcher the decoy locket that Regulus had owned.
You pretty much nailed all of mine except for Snape's memories
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:21 PM   #55  

Snape's memories was one of mine as well...but I assumed that it was a given.

I was extremely emotionally vested in him. I am so glad that his feelings for Harry, Dumbledore, and Lily, were what I anticipated. I would have been devastated if he would have really been on Voldemort's side.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:04 AM   #56  
Pending Email Confirmation

I had a hard time with the scene with Harry at his parent's grave (although for some sick reason was also excited to find out that he has my exact birthday to the year!).. and for some reason I found the scene with Molly fighting Bellatrix to choke me up...not sure why really. I guess she's always been a mother hen protecting her brood.

It didn't surprise me that Fred died - so many Weasleys that they couldn't get away without at least one of them dying in the war.
I was however totally shocked about the Doe being Snape's Patronus... I was entirely convinced until the end that the Doe belonged to Ginny...to go with Harry's Stag.
lizziness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:47 AM   #57  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

I teared up when Dobby died and Harry wrote
"Here lies Dobby, A free Elf."
I thought I was gonna just break down. But I was able to hold it together.
I didn't start weeping until page 700

"You'll stay with me?"
"Until the very end" Said James
"They won't be able to see you?" Asked Harry.
"We are a part of you." said Sirius. "Invisible to anyone else."
Harry looked at his mother.
"Stay close to me." he said quietly.

And then harry walks to what he thinks is his death... tears were dripping on the page. It was so sad, that he had all his dead loved ones around him, thinking he would soon be with them. I thought for sure Harry was gonna die.

I Hated that Lupin and Tonks died, it seemed so needless, like JK added that just to make the reader more upset.
And I was upset when Fred died and they had to shove his body in some corner. So wrong.
Hedwig, that was the last character I thought would ever die. Why? why did she have to die? Harry could of just set her free if it was a quesstion of him dragging her along in the tent and all. I also think she just added that in there to upset readers.

I knew Snape would die and I knew he was a good guy.. (i always said that Snape killed Dumbledore on his orders.) but I was shocked to find out just how much he was in love with Lilly. friends yes...but I didn't think they were childhood freinds and that he begged for her life. it made me so mad that Harry and Snape never got to smooth out their relationship... like harry did with Dudley

Edit: Oh, I forgot to ask. why was the British version on the book 608 pages long when the US is 759 pages?

Last edited by Sakai; 07-24-2007 at 03:14 AM.
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:37 AM   #58  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

I think Tonks and Lupin died so that the story could come full circle as suddenly, there was Harry, godfather to an orphaned baby whose parents died fighting Voldemort. I got the impression Teddy lived with Tonks' mum but visited Harry and his famiy often. I liked that he was kissing the Weasly cousin Victoire (obviously Bill and Fleur's daughter and named for the victory over Voldemort) and would more than likely be a member of the family some day.

I think Snape's death was done really well in that I would never have bought a huge emotional reconciliation between him and Harry after 7 years of dislike, suspicion and downright hatred. The fact that he named his son after him and told him it was because he was the bravest man he ever knew says alot, though. It was the same with the Dursleys. Vernon gave nothing away, Petunia wanted to say something but didn't and Dudley, just those few simple words and sentiments he expressed I felt were more touching than anything else. Likewise, I liked the curt but non-antagonistic way that Draco and Harry acknowledged each other on the Hogwarts Express platform. Obviously they were never going to be best buds but the animosity was gone.

I cried when Fred died and I had really hoped he'd turn up as a ghost at Hogwarts as that seems a very Fred thing to do.

And now we know why JK Rowling insisted Kreacher was left in the Phoenix movie when the director wanted to leave him out.

I loved that Neville took the sword out of the Sorting Hat just like Harry did back in Chamber of Secrets and also the fact that everyone had a hand in destroying the Horcruxes. I suspect I'd have been more upset at Neville's death than anyone else's except maybe Hagrid.

Oh! And the one thing that I thought was so sneaky but so well done was planting suspicion against the Order in our minds at the beginning! Can you believe at first I suspected Mrs. Weasley (Voldemort threatening her family and all) and then I suspected Hermione (thinking maybe her parents weren't really in Australia at all and Voldemort had them). I can't believe I fell into her cleverly laid trap like that, hehe. I was so relieved that it ended up being the name itself that was tracked!

I thought it was a worthy ending, I really did. And I think she deliberatey went so far into the future to assure us all was well so there's no more story to tell. I suppose spin-off books about the kids adventures at Hogwarts cold potentially be in the offing but gawd, I hope not! Let it end nobly.
Mummy_Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:26 AM   #59  

S/C/G: 207/200/135

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakai View Post

Edit: Oh, I forgot to ask. why was the British version on the book 608 pages long when the US is 759 pages?

The British version of the books is much smaller than the USA versions. The covers are different as well. They can fit more print on the pages of the USA version, I assume. I've had all of the books in both the USA and UK versions.
Casandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:33 AM   #60  

S/C/G: 207/200/135

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummy_Tummy View Post
I thought it was a worthy ending, I really did. And I think she deliberatey went so far into the future to assure us all was well so there's no more story to tell. I suppose spin-off books about the kids adventures at Hogwarts cold potentially be in the offing but gawd, I hope not! Let it end nobly.
The thing is, there was a lot more she could have told. And she never said she was through with that world. She said she was always open to the possibility of revisiting the world of magic and Hogwarts.

I was terribly upset by the ending of the book, because we never found out what really happened with Harry, Ginny, Ron, and Hermione. I figured Hermione would go back to teach, Ron would work in the Ministry like his father, and that Ginny and Harry would've been aurors. I wish that had been cleared up, although its nice to see that Percy was either doing something at Hogwarts or the Ministry at the end. Shouting about broomstick regulations.

And as for their children? Harry and Ginny have 3 as far as we know, but what about this Victoire? She could be another child of Ron/Hermione's, or she could belong to another Weasley, seeing as Lily Potter called her their cousin, and said she hoped Ted married her so he really would be part of the family....

I actually cried once or twice in the book. When Fred died, and during Snape's memory, and when Harry was holding the stone and all the people he loved who had passed were there with him. I never expected Fred to die, I'd always had Percy pinned to do some fantastic feat and get tortured for information, but he would've never given in.
Casandra is offline   Reply With Quote