What is your dream job and why

You're on Page 1 of 4
Go to
  • Okay, my dream job is to work with disabled adults in group homes. However, I think I'm getting to old .

I know my weight would hinder my being able to perform this job but I think it would be wonderful someday, maybe part-time.

What would be your dream job and do you think your current weight would be an issue?
  • ^ Shelby - I have your dream job. There's a lady here that is in her 80s, I think.

As for me, I think I would have made a good emergency physician: Assess, do X procedure, and ship 'em out. Yeah, I'm an ER addict.
  • If I had to do all over again I would want to work in the health and nutrition field. I find that very interesting even if I can't seem to apply it to myself.
  • Oh, and as far as your weight goes, here you just have to be able to lift 30 lbs independently. Many need help transferring from their bed to their wheelchair, etc., but some clients are classified as two-person lifts, hoyer lifts, independent, etc. As long as you don't have a bad back, you should be fine. Around here, at least, they really stress not pushing your limits (though I suspect that has more to do with avoiding worker's comp claims).
  • I haven't gone to school yet (very normal for my family~we get our degrees after 30. Lol.) I'm looking into a few things. Mid-wife, nutritionist, home economics teacher... Why is it, that you grow up and still don't know what you want to be???
  • I too have my dream job
    I have been a high school teacher for the part 20 years. I know many people wouldn't think of this as a dream but I cannot imagine doing anything else. I encourage anyone who believes in young people as our future to think about teaching as a life fulfilling option.
  • Either I want to be a travel writer (not freelance -- for Frommer's or something similar) or a film reviewer/critic (not on tv - in magazine or newspaper). I also want to write fiction -- but unless I sell my first novel right off the bat, it won't pay the bills. I want to eventually get an advanced degree and become a professor of writing or literature. If I was still at my high weight, I wouldn't even think about being a travel writer because of the airplane seats, the walking, the testing of hotel amenities (pool, gym, spa, etc.); I would just be too self conscious in too many of the possible situations. As much as I don't favor being out and about by a pool in my bathing suit, I still do it, so I doubt my current weight would be a deterrent.
  • Before I got married, I really wanted to be someone who traveled a lot such as a travel agent who travels with clients. Of course the climate of the travel industry has changed so much in the past few years. I really enjoy traveling though and different cultures and customs.

Until my most recent home buying experience, I thought being a realtor would be fun. I feel bad for my realtor though, she is always running around and really doesn't have much time for herself or her family. I love real estate and would like to help others search for and buy their own homes.

Another thing I'd like to do is to own and operate a dog kennel. I really like dogs and I'd love spending my days with them. The only problem again would be time off unless there was a staff to cover days off.

There are other things I'd like to do as well. For now, I'm just a geek doing geeky things. I enjoy it.
  • Maybe an athlete, if I found a sport I was that passionate about I think I would love it

Something where I spent my time making people feel good about themselves and encouraging them to see themselves realistically - for all of their abilities and fantastic traits - we doubt ourselves far too much. I'd like to be a mirror for people and reflect back at them how amazing they really are. I don't know what that translates into professionally.
  • I have two "it will never happen but one kind dream" jobs. One would be to have my own bakery. I loooooove decorating cakes. The other would be a primatologist. But between needing a doctorate's degree, the travel, and ending up working as a professor....that's not going to happen.

However, due to my wonderful, wonderful husband I'm lucky enough that after 4 years of taking random classes in college I'm actually going now to get my kinesiology degree to become a personal trainer. I can't wait to help people make the same wonderful changes in their life that I've made in mine.
  • An archaeologist who also writes best-selling novels and is a tenured professor at some prestigious University. Not much to dream about, is it?
  • I'm working my dream job - claims supervisor for an insurance company. My job is challenging and no 2 claims are the same, even if the circumstances are similar. Nobody grows up wanting to work in insurance, but for me it fits.

My other dream job is a librarian, however that would mean me having to retrain and even so I wouldn't be earning anywhere near as much as I am now. I know money's not everything, but it's hard enough to pay the mortgage now - it would be just about impossible on that much less...
  • My top two choices are:

1. Independently wealthy. No explanation needed.

2. Guitarist in a rock band. I love music, I'd love the attention and money, and I'd also love the lifestyle (I'm a night owl).

Or did you mean things that I could realistically do?

I did customer support for a software company for a year or so and I loved loved loved that job. I loved solving problems for people and I loved how task-oriented it was. I picked up the phone, answered the question, and then moved on the next call. Every day I left work with a sense of having accomplished something. I really missed it when I moved on.

I have to say that my current job (I run a professional association) has a lot of what I'd want in my perfect job. I get to think about things that are very interesting to me; I do some writing; I respond to inquiries from our members; and I do some public speaking. It's also a pretty high profile position, which I enjoy. Plus I work from home full time and have a very flexible schedule. Heck, we even have our own discussion forum and when I'm in there posting answers to questions, I can count it as working. Unfortunately, there's also a lot of stress that goes along with running an organization.

Sometimes I fantasize about opening a restaurant (that serves healthy entrees in reasonable portions). I also sometimes think it would be nice to work outside, maybe at a nature reserve (but I wouldn't want to do any heavy lifting). And there are definitely days when I fantasize about being a receptionist (there's no work to take home and no waking up in the middle of the night thinking of things I forgot to do).
  • My dream job would unquestionably be to be a full time actress, whether it's film, broadway, or both. I've been on several TV shows and an extra in a couple movies, so it's not a complete pipe dream, though my current weight HAS hindered my desire to go to casting calls and whatnot. I've gotten some offers but refused to appear because of my weight. Once I hit goal, I'll show up at nearly every casting call there is!

Being a rockstar would be nice, too. Or even just a playwright.

The bottom line is, I know I'll never be satisfied with my life until I get a full time career in the arts.
  • My dream job-lawyer.

I'm doing my law degree now (about to start my 2nd year!) so I am getting there! Only 2 years of my degree, 1 year post grad and 2 years training to go

My weight won't affect it, most lawyers I've seen in court are fat old men so I want to be one of the few slim female lawyers