Parents should never let their 11-yr old kids drive drunk

• How in the world did this 11yr old child learn how to drive?

Article: Girl, 11, charged with DUI after high-speed chase

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/06/chi....ap/index.html
  • And I worry about my son having soda!!!! Parent's/caregivers stupidity scares me because my kid's are growing up around thiers!!!
  • first of all, what's with the "legal limit for a minor" isn't drinking as aminor illegal? OMG! My girls are 6& 8! I don't wanna think about this kinda crap!!!
  • What I don't understand is why she was arrested and not her guardians???!!!!
    Who is supposed to be supervising the kids?
  • Just think... if they are getting dui's at 11... what the **** will they be doing when they're 16?!

I was a fairly good kid and I still did a lot of stupid and dangerous things now that I look back on it. Makes me glad I'm not yet a parent.
  • Quote: first of all, what's with the "legal limit for a minor" isn't drinking as aminor illegal? OMG! My girls are 6& 8! I don't wanna think about this kinda crap!!!
    Sorry i just posted it rather out of shock that 11-yr olds can drive. I've heard tales that 9-yr olds get drunk these days, but driving at 11? strange...
  • Maybe the "legal limit for a minor" refers to if a kid accidentally swallows some grown-up mouthwash or eats a chocolate filled with liqueur? No idea.

This story is pretty disturbing. I would think that an eleven year old wouldn't be able to drive for that long, let alone while drunk. This isn't even out in the middle of the country either. I know some kids learn to drive younger if they live out on a huge farm, but Orange Beach is a resort town. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it was necessarily the parents' fault either. Kids can do some pretty stupid stuff while flying under the radar, especially if they know what they're doing is wrong and are trying to hide it.
  • I read that under the "odd news" section of my local newspaper yesterday.
    Makes me mad at those parents. They should be the ones getting in trouble (not to say the kids shouldn't get in trouble too!)
  • I saw this on our local news yesterday.

On the same newscast was the 12 and 10 yr. old girls here in OK that kidnapped a neigbors 1 yr. old baby and left a $200,000 ransom note. When the delinquent girl's mother asked her where they got the baby, the girl lied and said "we found him on the street corner". These girls are now being held in a juvenile detention center.

It is totally shocking that some kids are getting in such huge trouble at such a young age. It does make me wonder, what have they been taught?
  • Quote:

How in the world did this 11yr old child learn how to drive?
    I can't answer the question, but I can tell you that some kids learn without parental help. A few months ago I was working a gig about 30 min. from my house with 3 of my kids, numbers 1,2 & 4. A friend calls and asks if either of my boys is supposed to be driving my pickup truck. The only boy at home was 14 and as far as I was aware he didn't know how to drive. I called a neighbor and sure enough, my truck and son were gone. He was home by the time I got home, and somehow I managed not to kill him. He said he figured out how to drive from playing video games. So far that has been the scariest phone call and longest ride home I've ever had.
  • My 16 year old wants to drive (no, but thanks for asking) and my 15 year old claims she already can (she also claims that she does dishes and cleans her room... She sure talks big!).

But that's pretty benign when I consider that 16 year olds are being arrested for shooting people to death in parts of my neighborhood and the parents are either scared of them or couldn't care less what they're up to. I must live in a fantasy world to still believe that parents are responsible for doing their best to limit the potential trouble their kids can get into.