General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 11:42 AM   #1  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

Question "FREE PIZZA: How to Eat Right on a Busy Schedule" ???

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes...

I got an email in my inbox this morning from the ladies of the Engineering Dept. of University of Houston about this seminar. I don't even go to the University of Houston anymore (transferring elsewhere for the fall, and currently going to a community college that is run much more efficiently), but the subject on this one caught my eye. The email is as follows:

Subject: FREE PIZZA: "How to Eat Right on a Busy Schedule"

Lindsey,

Don't miss tomorrow's seminar, hosted by Women in Engineering program (WELCOME).
What: "How to Eat Right on a Busy Schedule"

When: Wednesday March 28th, 1 pm
Where: Room N376, Engineering Building 1
Stop by anytime between 1 and 2 pm, and stay for as long as your schedule permits. Please note that you do not have to "join" WELCOME to participate in this discussion.

There will be FREE pizza, and a door prize!

My first reaction was a mixture of frustration and laughter. Isn't pizza the food that most college students pick up when they're too busy to eat right? Isn't this kind of contradictory to their message? I replied back to the girl who sends out the emails, asking her basically what they were thinking. I also gave them the benefit of the doubt in that email, asking if the pizza was at least going to have veggies instead of pepperoni, whole grain crust, light cheese (or just less cheese), lower sodium sauce, anything?

If you got this email, would you have reacted the same as I had? I know that pizza, for me, is definitely NOT a food I would consider a healthy option for on-the-go meals.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:49 AM   #2  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Lol. It's such an old stanby to get college students to come to an event, but I'm surprised they so blatently contradicted themselves. I'm curious to see if they reply and what they have to say.

BTW, I am a former Coog. I spent my freshman year there before I ran screaming from the state of Texas (not a slam on TX, but U of H).
Old 03-27-2007, 11:54 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Oh I remember the free pizza days seminars well, mostly because I never cared too much for pizza although I've grown to really like healthier pizzas.

My favorites were always when they did something different like a fajita bar or something like that at a college seminar.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:58 AM   #4  
Method to the Madness

In my reply I even said "I know you're trying to get the largest turnout possible, and pizza is attractive (and cheap), but..."

Junebug, I read this email and simply added it to the reasons of why it was a good idea for me to get the heck away from U of H as quickly as possible. I applaud you for making it an entire year. I only made it a semester. Between the rigorous (ha!) coursework and things like this... I couldn't take it anymore. In one of my engineering classes, we seriously had to build a mousetrap car as a major assignment. I'd been given the exact same project in 8th grade, so I was a little bit less than impressed.

Last edited by LindseyLouWho; 03-27-2007 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Adding a name.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:18 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/192/145

Height: 5'6"

That's too funny in a sad sort of way. The other day I went to the gym and there were free cupcakes to celebrate the new-member drive. *sigh*

(yes, I had one)
Old 03-27-2007, 01:32 PM   #6  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypotterybarn View Post
That's too funny in a sad sort of way. The other day I went to the gym and there were free cupcakes to celebrate the new-member drive. *sigh*

(yes, I had one)

Lindsey- Aside from having the world's worst roommate (people can say that they had a bad college roommate experience, but mine really was the worst roommate in the history of academia), I was not impressed with the coursework either. However, I was in the music school (and the marching band) and therfore had obligations that lasted through the entire year.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:39 PM   #7  
Method to the Madness

Angry Update!!!

The girl just emailed me back. I think the reply makes me even angrier than the original email, considering she skirted around the issue and went into "salesman" mode. Here it is (as was sent to me, complete with typos):

Lindsey,

I'm glad to hear you are very concerned with heathy food, so I hope you join us tomorrow because I think you would enjoy this seminar. We will have a door prize that I think you will love. You are welcome to bring a bag lunch if you would perfer not eating pizza. Hope to see you there!

I was -not- asking for ideas for alternative lunches for myself. I do not care about a door prize. I was asking them why, in their mind, they thought serving pizza at a healthy eating seminar made sense. And they skirted around my question. Figures.

Last edited by LindseyLouWho; 03-27-2007 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Calling out the intentional typos in the email.
Closed Thread