General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 11:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: s/c/g: 173/167.8/130

Height: 5'4

Question O Magazine

Since I read about 3FC in Oprah magazine, I bought it again this week. And, yet again, I found some good(in my opinion) diet advice. It's an article called Think Like a Thin Person and I think it makes some pretty good points about hunger. It says that the average person doesn't eat because they are hungry, but most likely because they are afraid of hunger. Anyone else read it?? Thoughts??
Old 03-12-2007, 12:27 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I wouldn't say I eat because I'm hungry, although that is quite often the case, but I often eat because I enjoy food. Obviously, I enjoy food a little too much. I wouldn't say I'm afraid of hunger.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

I can't even say that I've been hungry enough to be afraid of hunger. I eat WAY before I'm hungry and WAY too much to even approach hunger.

Tiki
Old 03-12-2007, 12:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Lately, my problems have less to do with hunger and more to do with emotional eating! But I do sometimes eat because I don't like feeling hungry and want to avoid that feeling.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:16 PM   #5  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

OK. Let's see if I can make it through this post for a 3rd time before my computer crashes. at the computer.

There's another post about this on here. I think it is in the maintainer's section. Is this the article by the woman who lost a whopping 15 lbs? I'm glad she did something about it before it became more of a problem. However, if there was a "1" infront of that 15 I'd be more impressed.

In my mind, the people on here who are now "half" of their former selves are the ones I look up to. I don't think people have to skip meals to experience real hunger. Yes, there are binge eaters, nervous eaters, bored eaters, etc. but people who have made the real long term struggle are "the experts" for me.

Back in the 80s there was some guy who wrote a book about behaving like a thin person. You were supposed to follow a thin around and eat like they ate. What a crock! There was no accounting for metabolism, dietary issues (diverticulitis, diabetes, etc.) and activity. His whole thing was that overweight people made the wrong choices and that thin people made the right ones.

Is this person making those same or similar claims? Maybe she ate because she was afraid of hunger. To lump all overweight people in that category is just plain wrong.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:43 AM   #6  

It's not really a FEAR of hunger, per se, because hunger is just unpleasant. I enjoy food. But when you starve for 8 months you're going to be hungry. I was never afraid to be hungry, it's just much more fun to eat

Of course, there's the fear of COMPLICATIONS of starving, and being hungry, like being irritable and the such...

But "thinking thin" doesn't work for me, simply because "THINK THIN" is something anorexic girls use as a saying all the time. Are they thin already? Yes. Are they starving themselves? Most times, yes. Thinking thin isn't starving...anyways...I'm off track.

You can't really think thin, in my opinion, because even thin people eat a bunch of junk. Some people eat a whole bunch one day and don't eat the next. Half the time, thin people aren't healthy either (high blood pressure/starving/bad eating habits).

Can anyone really define what thinking thin means?
Old 03-14-2007, 02:07 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

I read that article, and I must say, it didn't ring too true with me. Like many here, I have a nasty habit of munching when I'm no where near physically hungry. And I don't think I'm afraid of being hungry, because I'm rarely in a position that I can't eat when I do get hungry. Food is always pretty much available, should I need it. The problem with her "skip a meal and go hungry" thing is that it would trigger lots of people into a binge. Too hungry is usually not a good thing, in my personal experience.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:08 PM   #8  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

lol the only time I have a fear of hunger is when my kids were very very very little---then I admit to eating when I had a chance, not when I was hungry.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:24 PM   #9  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Red face

I read that article too.I know what its like to eat like a thin person because my parents beleive it or not are both toothpicks and have always been and can "barf" eat whatever they like. I "inherited" my weight (if you beleive in that) from my grandmothers.

But my mom eats like a freaking bird! No wonder she is a "barf" size 4 in juniors and complains that she can't find clothes "small" enough! I remember shopping with her once and she had to buy a pair of GIRLS jeans because all the womens and even juniors were too big! Yeah that was fun growing up with. My mom was always very supportive of me and my weightloss and wasn't pushy about it at all, but it definately was hard to see my teeny tiny parents eating whatever they please and me just thinking of food and gaining 5 lbs!

Anyways. I didn't think it was healthy to go "hungry". I mean yeah you won't die as long as your not skin and bones, but I think that reaks havoc on your metabolism!

I do agree with eating several small meals a day versus 3 big ones, I think that is a lot healthier.

Talking about Anorexics, Dr. Phil is going to have a show on that, I think tomorrow, these women look awful! They are grown women and only weigh 60 pds!!!!! I guess though that is how they look at Obese people though too. I don't know which extreme is worse to be honest. I guess either one is definately not healthy for sure.

Well that is just my 2 Cents. lol.

Take Care Ladies.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:37 PM   #10  

I know for myself, I eat out of boredom, and anxiety.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:26 AM   #11  
What's this button do?

S/C/G: 323/282/150

Afraid of hunger? More like wary of it! Being hungry makes me very cranky very fast. And the crabbier I get, the less patient I get, and the less likely to make good food choices. I much prefer eating healthily at the first signs of hunger over becoming really hungry and eating stupidly.
Closed Thread