How many calories? --When you're not sure

• Has anyone made a thread like this? When they can't find calorie information and estimate the calories...but kind of want a second opinion? (I make it sound like a doctor's visit

So...! I had ground hamburger in spaghetti sauce on 2 hotdog buns. I got the bun calories down...(130 for each).

But how much might the sauce and hamburger be? I had about 3/4's of a cup. Lots of hamburger in there, less sauce.

I'm thinking about 300-400 calories for that meat sauce?
  • I use fitday.com religiously for figuring calorie counts.
    calorieking.com is a good one too
  • I customize my fitday I make sure if I buy a product I do not usually to put it in. Even if you just it right down on a pieace of paper to keep track. i usually messure because my half cup all of a sudden becomes a cup lol. (catelli sauce is 80 cals per 1/2 cup) ground beef well it depends on if it was lean or regular.
  • Was this something you made yourself or that you ate at a restaurant? If you made the spaghettie sauce yourself, you should be able to figure out the calories--just add up the calories in the individual ingredients and divide by the number of servings. If you ate it in a restaurant and it was a tomato based sauce with no cheese, vodka, cream or anything like that, I'd probably assume around 200 to 400 calories per 1/2 cup. Lean ground beef is 150 calories per serving (4 oz) and most restaurants do not use lean ground beef, so the meat in the sauce is probably pretty high in calories and they also probably add oil or fat to it.
  • try calorie king's food database, they have all different kinds of ground beef, as well as many brands of sauce (and the rolls too)