General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 08:29 AM   #1  
Committed Maintainer

S/C/G: 214/117.5/120

Height: 4'-11.75"

Default Sciatica/Ruptured Disc Anyone

So, I did something to my back yesterday. I came out of a stretch and couldn't stand up. Pain was shooting through my lower back, butt, and hip. I had just finished a workout of jogging and then walking but everything was fine until the stretch. I lived on Ibuprofen and thought it would pass. Today, I woke up and the pain is still there but I did manage to walk on the tredmill and a slow speed of 3mph as that doesn't seem to hurt at all. I am worried that it may be more than a pulled muscle because the pain will radiate through my hip and butt, especially on my right side. I even can feel it in my leg. My friends think I am crazy because all I am worried about is not being able to exercise. I was just wondering if this sounds like sciatica or a ruptured disk as I was told it might be one of those. I do intend on seeing a doctor but I was just curious if this happened to anyone else and, if so, how long until you could lift weights and do your regular cardio routine??? I NEED to lift weights!!! I am sooooo close to goal and this is really bumming me out!
Old 03-14-2007, 11:08 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 167/145/125

Height: 5'4"

christina-
I would definately go to the doctor soon and get it checked out. I have similar symptoms (came about a different way, but similar symptoms), and it turns out I have a herniated disk in my back that has just gotten worse and worse over the last 4 months. Anyway, i'm with your mindset, that my biggest thing is being able to work out (which I haven't been able to for the last 4 months...I blame that for my lack of ticker movement )
Anyway, REALLY sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the moral of the story is I think you should get to a doctor asap, because I waited for about 2 months to go to the doctor, and I'm convinced I might not be in pain right now if I would have gone to the doctor right away.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:49 AM   #3  
Committed Maintainer

Oh, I am going to the doctor. She is going to see me tomorrow morning. I was just hoping for some positive news about working out, even in modified versions. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:30 PM   #4  

I'd probably avoid working out until you figure out what it is... no point in further hurting yourself! I've suffered from sciatica in the past, and it was extremely painful. It's almost like my lower back would lock up and i'd be pretty much frozen... getting off the couch would be horrible, and it was so bad that it got to the point where I got stuck on the toilet, and someone had to come help me off the floor when I could only roll off... how humiliating... I know that there is now way that I could have possibly worked out.

Physio and acupuncture was the only thing that was able to cure my sciatica... otherwise I'm sure i'd still be on pain pills, my dr wasn't very helpful in really doing anything to help me, but push the pills.

Best of luck, it's a painful thing, but just take it easy... listen to your body!
Old 03-14-2007, 09:40 PM   #5  
Hot Mama Wannabe!

S/C/G: 210/207/135

Height: 5'4"

I'd wait til you see her, I have a bulged disc in my neck so I can't do cardio like I used to be able to do. Hope it goes well hun.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:46 AM   #6  
Committed Maintainer

Thanks for the info everyone. I just got back from the doctor's. She did some physical tests and came to the conclusion that I have an inflamed sciatic nerve and some bursitis in my hip. Because walking and jogging aren't painful for me, she says I can continue these. She also says I can continue with weights but to make sure I do a light set and keep them moderate and not to do anything that causes pain or discomfort...no more straight legged deadlifts for me! She also gave me some stretches to target these areas and a script for a muscle relaxant. So, I feel so much better. I won't be able to lift heavy but at least I can keep my muscle tone until I am better. She says it could take a couple of weeks. But, as long as lifting and cardio can be done, I am willing to do more maintenance level type of activities. So, thanks again for the info!!!!
Closed Thread