Makeup Dunce

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hi everyone I have been pondering makeup for a while, I stopped wearing it after I got married because my hubby didn't care for it. But I see some of you guys and your makeup looks awesome. What is the best makeup you have found? Back in the days I wore it (as a teen in the 90's) I just wore the cheap stuff and it looked it. Come on tell me... pretty please! --Sumi
  • I don't like to spend a fortune.....Maybelline mascara, Loreal eye shadow, Cover Girl eye liner and Clinique eyeshadow cream (I really like their cream shadow in gold but a tube lasts a whole year which makes it great for one of the kids to give me for Christmas!). I don't do anything else on my face--just some moisturizer with sunscreen.
  • I use Avon for everything including lotion and body wash. i would also suggest using a face lotion with spf 15. I will NEVER use Max factor!
  • I think unless a person has perfect skin, a little bit of natural looking makeup can do wonders. If I were you, I'd experiment with something light and natural looking. There are so many good brands out there now. I personally don't have perfect skin, so on a daily basis, I wear light foundation, a little blush, gloss or sheer lip stick. On weekends or other occassions where I go out at night, I'll curl my eyelashes and wear a little shadow and mascara. When I was younger my skin was on the oily side and was prone to breakouts. So, I used a Clinque foundation called pore minimizer, which I don't believe they sell anymore. It was thin (almost watery), but I really liked how it smoothed my complexion out.

My sister used the same Clinque foundation (it was only $11 and lasted months) until she got turned on to mineral makeup. My sister is really into all kinds of products, from makeup to hair styling aides to who knows what. She's always telling me I need to try this or not, and 90% of the time I ignore her. I'm a pony tail and light make up kind of girl, but every now and then I'll try something that my sister recommends. I have to say, I love the new mineral makeup she uses. The brand is Jane Iredale. It's called 'pure pressed base' -- it is actually a powder that comes in a compact and is very quickly and easily applied with a brush. My skin is no longer oily (even sometimes dry) and this stuff is great. It's very light, but it evens out your skin tone without looking like you have foundation on. It also contains SPF 17. It is a little expensive, but one compact (about 32.00) lasts a long time. I've found the cheapest place to get it is online at astonishingskincare.com They usually give free shipping.

Have fun trying out a little makeup. I think your husband will see that you can still look totally natural and even a little better with just a little bit of makeup.

BTW, canadian mom -- is Max Factor a bad company or are there products bad?
  • Thanks, that is what I am talking about those natural but obviously not natural makeup looks, I will have to check out that site, thanks, do you all go to the mall or something to find out what color to choose when buying online?
  • I highly recommend Bare Escentuals. I've been using it for years now & threw all my liquid makeup in the trash. I'd never use anything else!
  • If I don't like Angie's make-up she just hands me another Corona.
  • I use some Avon and the rest is Cover Girl.

My skin is sensitive so I have to watch what kinds I buy. A lot of stuff breaks me out.
  • I don't often go full makeup. Usually just foundation and blush. I generally use just off the shelf stuff...Loreal, Maybalene(sp?) or CoverGirl, sometimes Nutrogena. I mix a dab of face cream with my foundation and use a peach blush for a more natural look. I hardly ever use shadow, but when I do, it's usually a light shade of brown and peach...again, very natural look. And I follow-up with brown eye liner and mascara. But the foundation and blush are my daily routine...just enough to smooth the imperfections and add a hint of color to make my cheeks stand out without looking made-up.
  • If you have a Sephora at a mall or somewhere by you that is where I would recommend you go. I LOVE Sephora! They have a huge selection and tons of different brands so you will for sure be able to find what you want or need. The workers are alse very helpful and will even show you how to apply stuff. All I put on is moisturizer/SPF, loose powder, blush and mascara but a little goes a long way when you have quality products (downside is some of it is kind of expensive). I also have sensitive skin and they have certain brands that aren't heavy which would be a good place to start for you and ease back into wearing as much as you are comfortable with. If you don't have a Sephora most department stores like Nordstroms or Macys also have super helpful people at the makeup counters that will give you great tips. I love makeup shopping, have fun!
  • [QUOTE=walking2lose;1598636]
    BTW, canadian mom -- is Max Factor a bad company or are there products bad?[/QUOTE}

I will not buy Max Factor because they still support and want their brother out of jail (Andrew Luster~ sentenced to 124 years in jail for 80 somehtinng cases of rape he drugged and rapped womwn including one that lived with him)
  • I second the Bare Escentuals. I love it. I buy mine from Ebay rather than their site since it is a little more pricey.
  • Thanks you guys
  • I've been wearing Bare Escentials for about 8 years....it's easy and it's fast along with various eyeliner pencils....I've branched out a bit and also use the Philosphy air brush powder. I don't wear a lot but I have very pale eyebrows they need a brush of darkner, I use the gel stuff from Maybelline Mascara is Maybelline with the skinny brush, theplumpy stuff lip gloss and I'm good to go.

Sumi, go to a mall and let the salesladies from department stores give you lots of samples to play with.
  • Wow - I did NOT know that about Max Factor!

Bare Essentials is very similar to Jane Iredale. Both are mineral based powder foundations (also blushes, eye shadows)