General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 10:29 AM   #1  

Height: 5' 7''

Default Chocolate puts me in a bad mood...?

Hiya - I was never really that big into chocolate and pretty much have given it up over the past year but in the past two weeks I've had a bite here and there and each time I've found that I'm in a really bad mood afterwards.

Is it crazy to think that the two are related? I did some searches on the net but nothing fruitful came up. Anyone else find this?

Finn.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:05 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 153/130/135

Height: 5'7"

Hmm, this seems to go directly against the way in which chocolate functions in the body -- it contains tryptophan, which helps make serotonin, a neurotransmitter that makes you feel great!! Maybe if you had eaten a load of chocolatey goodness, the 'bad mood' could be viewed as a crash after an intense sugar rush, but you mentioned only having a bite here and there. It's not crazy to think the two are related in that not every human being reacts the same way science has predicted it would. Could the resultant bad mood be a psychological reaction instead of a physiological one -- that is, sounds like you never liked chocolate all that much anyway, then you've treated yourself to it, and it hasn't been very rewarding to you? If so, maybe choose something you really appreciate as a special treat, and savor every bite.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:06 AM   #3  
cals. in v. cals. out

S/C/G: 157/151/130

Height: 5'6

No but consider yourself lucky. Most studies that come out suggest a link between chocolate and elevation of mood which is why most crave it at certain times. I wouldn't question it, just be happy that's one less thing you need to worry about eating.
now for my complete amatuer take on it: You don't particularly like it so when you eat it you get in a bad mood b/c you figure, why did I just do that, I don't even like chocolate--hence your bad mood?
Having said that i'm a law student not a psychologist so really that's pure conjecture.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:14 AM   #4  

Height: 5' 7''

hmm I know that it should elevate my mood but during the past few weeks I've had a few bars of chocolate and found myself really grumpy for about 2hours afterwards, then it just wears off and I'm fine again. Who knows why but I'm not complaining :-)
Old 02-15-2007, 01:58 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Ummm.... NOT having chocolate puts me in a bad mood.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:31 PM   #6  
banned

S/C/G: 215/214/160

Height: 5'4"

It might be a food allergy. My husband a wonderful man,I got one who DOES ALL THE COOKING!!!!!!!! He use to be a chef along time ago. When ever he ate corn within 5-mins he would be a different person. I didnt marry this man. It got to the point where we seeked help. So we saw this wonderful man before he retired Dr. Randolph he specialized in food allergys. So he tested him and found out he was allergic to corn anything with corn in it..Head leetuce,no other lettuce but head lettuce.There was this woman there who her and her husband were at the point of the BIG D. Every time she had choc she would rip her husbands face off and they found out the she was allergic to it. IT was frightning to see this woman right after the tested her i wanted to leave..So the Dr had another shot to counter the reaction...
Its something to think about.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:20 PM   #7  
Pending Email Confirmation

Is it situational? I know that usually what heads me for that chocolate is the bad mood. Sometimes the chocolate does not do it's job and making me feel better. hehehe.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:31 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

Maybe it could be that you're in a bad mood because you feel guilty after eating it?
Closed Thread