Interesting Note on Physical Activity

• People who think they're getting a good workout obtain more benefits than those who perform the exact same activities, but don't think what they are doing is exercise

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17136113...15773?GT1=9033
  • Interesting, Susan, interesting. Thanks.
  • Wow. That article is really fascinating. I wonder why the group that, when it comes down to it, got the positive reinforcement, did better than the group with the negative? Let's face it, cleaning hotel rooms can't be especially fun. But if a bunch of eggheads show up one day and tell you it's great exercise and keeping you healthy, suddenly you have an added personal benefit from your work that wasn't there before. Also, I bet that news got them thinking a bit while they worked, even if it was just thinking, "At least my job is keeping me healthy!"

So was it positive reinforcement from authority figures combined with positive self-talk? It's really intriguing.

I notice with weights and stretches I see a lot more success when I imagine the muscle or muscles doing their thing, imagine myself stretching another inch further or doing 3 more reps; I just get this weird feeling that it's working.
  • I agree ... I think it has to do with the happy mindset. I can just imagine those folks singing as they stride through their day with confidence and a bounce in their step. (uses more calories ya know)
  • Dang, I don't know how ya can sweat and not think it's exercise. I do my stair stepper and think, this is killing me, then I think, OK 5 more minutes. And I go back and forth that way for the next 20 minutes. LOL