3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   American Idol (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/102319-american-idol.html)

Jen415 01-18-2007 03:38 PM

I was watching The View today from the dentist's chair (the headphones helped drown out the drill!)...Rosie was saying how awful it was that the judges would not only laugh at them when they left--they would actually do it TO their faces in some cases!

"Who are they to judge on appearance? Three millionaires sitting there....one of them most likely intoxicated...."

Gotta love Rosie, she says what she thinks....

FrouFrou 01-18-2007 03:55 PM

I do love Rosie and that she speaks her mind. And I think she is getting a bad rap. I was watching the Insider and they kept ragging on her. Saying she was bashing Paula Abdul and the people on AI. You know, she is on a talk show and they pick topics to talk about...that is what she was doing. Of course they had to go to Trump and ask him his thoughts on what Rosie had to say, ugh! Me and lots of other people also thought Paula was drunk on Tuesday nights show.

jillybean720 01-18-2007 04:19 PM

I don't feel bad for any of them (except the very few who actually ARE talented and just can't get over nerves or something, but they rarely show those borderline auditions on the show). They have seen the show before--they have an idea of what to expect. They know Simon sure as heck isn't going to sugar-coat anything or worry about hurting anyone's feelings. They are walking into that room to BE JUDGED, and not just their singing--as Simon has explained all too many times in season past, it is NOT just about your voice--if you can't be "sold" by the industry, then you're no good to them. You don't have to like it, but that is the truth. If you don't have "the look," then you need to have a personality that REALLY shines through (like Mandisa last season...SO many people made fun of her weight, but she was both talented and had an AMAZING personality both on stage and with the judges).

I would agree that the judges don't have to be so harsh, but if they weren't, then the show wouldn't be what it is today, plain and simple.

melekalikimaka 01-18-2007 04:19 PM

I don't think Paula has been coherent since before season one.

I do agree that it was mean of them to be laughing at the people in front of their faces at times, but some of the contestants just do not get it. I mean come on, how about that heavyset girl who was getting all emotional just talking about why she wanted to audition before she even went in front of the judges, and blah blah blah about her son, etc. She tried to sing a Christina Aguilera song but she couldn't even stay in the same key verse after verse, yet she just kept yowling away even after they said NO. I admire her spirit, but geez Louise, if they say no several times, why keep doing it? It tortures the judges and it's gotta be torture for yourself to hear the criticism. I kept thinking her audition was looped over and over by the editing crew but the more I think about it, nope, that's pretty much how it must've went. How horrible for her (and for us the viewers!) :o

jillybean720 01-18-2007 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GivingThanks04 (Post 1537503)
Me and lots of other people also thought Paula was drunk on Tuesday nights show.

haha, yup...my boyfriend just kept saying, "What is wrong with her?" :dizzy: And maybe it's because she's, umm, somewhat dazed, but it seems to me like she's also not being as sweet and kind to the contestants this year to balance Simon's bashings.

melekalikimaka 01-18-2007 04:23 PM

Oh and another thing, why is it when contestants are told they were horrible singers (by a professional in the music industry), they refuse to believe it. They only believe it when friends or family members say they have "real talent" or can "really sing". ????? Why???? and why do I keep watching this torture? :lol:

I also think that poor guy who sang Unchained Melody was totally set up by his co-workers who urged him to go audition. Did you catch the part where he told Ryan that his co-workers urged him to try out after hearing an "instrumental demo" he made a few years back? No singing on that tape I bet :rolleyes:

EZMONEY 01-18-2007 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilybelle (Post 1537089)
London, my step-daughters live in Checotah, I live closer to Ft. Smith. We voted really hard for Carrie to win. My oldest step-daughter graduated high school and was a cheer leader with Carrie. She is a really sweet girl and used to spend the night with us sometimes. Carrie is doing great with her career in Country Music and I'm really proud of her. She is now linked romantically with Tony Romo (spelling?) Dallas Cowboys quarterback.

ALWAYS BEEN A CARRIE FAN HERE! I HOPE TONY DOESN'T DROP HER! :lol: :lol: :lol: A LITTLE FOOTBALL HUMOR...........;)

jill, I agree there must be a real shortage of dentists there.

HEY JILLY~ THERE HAVE BEEN PLENTY OF "NOT SO SKINNY" GALS ON A.I. THAT HAVE DONE QUITE WELL... REMEMBER JENNIFER HUDSON? NO EXCUSES...GET PRACTICING! ;)

almostheaven 01-18-2007 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jillybean720 (Post 1537538)
I don't feel bad for any of them (except the very few who actually ARE talented and just can't get over nerves or something, but they rarely show those borderline auditions on the show). They have seen the show before--they have an idea of what to expect. They know Simon sure as heck isn't going to sugar-coat anything or worry about hurting anyone's feelings. They are walking into that room to BE JUDGED, and not just their singing--as Simon has explained all too many times in season past, it is NOT just about your voice--if you can't be "sold" by the industry, then you're no good to them. You don't have to like it, but that is the truth. If you don't have "the look," then you need to have a personality that REALLY shines through (like Mandisa last season...SO many people made fun of her weight, but she was both talented and had an AMAZING personality both on stage and with the judges).

I would agree that the judges don't have to be so harsh, but if they weren't, then the show wouldn't be what it is today, plain and simple.

Perfectly stated. That's why I think it's like watching Jerry Springer. These people go on there KNOWING they're going to be made fun of, KNOWING they're making a spectacle of themselves, and KNOWING they're NOT going to Hollywood. They just want to say "See! I did that!", so they and all their friends can have a good laugh. They're cut from the same mold as a lot of those that end up on Judge Joe Brown and Springer, etc. They're in it for the 10 seconds of fame. They don't care if they look silly. I've seen it in the welfare type mentality. I used to get TANF for a short time and I was embarrassed to use foodstamps in the store. But most of the welfare recipients are not. They feel they're "entitled" to it and why should they be embarrassed. The same kind of people who go on these shows. They feel why should they be embarrassed. People are laughing at them and they're like..."So?" They don't get it or they don't care, but it makes for good ratings. Otherwise, why do so many people watch? :D

I've sang in choirs and the church for many years. I was to sing in a talent show but chickened out. I've been told I have a great voice, and I actually believe I do myself. I'm not as embarrassed to sing in public these days with having better confidence in myself. But if I was singing in the car with the window down and a car pulled up next to me, I used to stop singing. I don't now. Anyway, I would NEVER audition for American Idol. I KNOW I'm good. In the same sense, I know I'm not THAT good. And I'm not interested in embarrassment just for the sake of saying I did that.

Suzanne 3FC 01-18-2007 11:15 PM

I didn't watch all of it, but I was so very disappointed with what I saw. I realize that there are a lot of people that know they can't sing, and they go just to try to get on tv so they can laugh about it with their friends later. However, those usually get weeded out and don't make it on the show. I think that most of the ones that make it on the show really believe they have what it takes to go further. Sure, they may be delusional or misguided, but they really believe they are talented, and they find the courage to get up there and sing their hearts out with the hope that someone else may see what they see in themselves. They don't deserve to be brutally bashed. The judges seriously crossed the line when they made fun of their appearances as well. What about the guy that Simon said looked like a bush-baby? That was the most heartless thing I've ever witnessed. I nearly cried and turned the channel. It was wrong. Just wrong. :no: I won't watch anymore episodes.

Dragonfly7 01-19-2007 01:32 AM

I like American Idol, but so far I don't think this year has been as funny as the past. I thought the brother and sister did a good job. Last year I wanted Taylor to win from the beginning, I loved his personality and all the silly stuff he did, but I definitely thought Chris Daughtry was going to be the winner, it was a total shock when they kicked him off!

jillybean720 01-19-2007 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC (Post 1537945)
I didn't watch all of it, but I was so very disappointed with what I saw. I realize that there are a lot of people that know they can't sing, and they go just to try to get on tv so they can laugh about it with their friends later. However, those usually get weeded out and don't make it on the show.

I really don't think they get weeded out, though--the producers purposely put bad people through for entertainment value. A couple seasons ago, there was some "crazy" woman named Mary who went into the audition and did horribly and then talked to the judges about how "the voices in her head" told her to audition and what to sing...she looked really crazy and horribly untalented.

As it turned out, she lived not far from me and came clean with the fact that she was an aspiring comedian, and that now she had a professional clip to add to her portfolio.

All of the judges before the big 3 know who's good and who's bad...they don't miraculously become horrible just for Paula, Simon, and Randy.

FrouFrou 01-19-2007 03:11 PM

The big wig said on some show that they do weed out the ones who do AI just for their few minutes on tv. But I also think they purposely let some slip on thru. Otherwise they wouldn't have much of a show. I think a lot of people tune in to the first few episodes just to see the ones that think they can sing. I truly believe that a lot of the "bad" ones really think they can sing.

Clydegirl 01-23-2007 09:07 PM

Memphis tonight. Wow I enjoyed Sundance great voice and also the back up singer.

techwife 01-24-2007 04:57 PM

Sundance and the back up singer WERE great!! I liked them both. I'm not a huge fan of the audition phase...I'm like Suzanne. But I watch them, just the same, for the good auditions to pick early favorites for the finals. I remember Gary's favorite, Kelly, last year adn picked her right away...then I found out she's not the cute innocent she claimed to be. But...have to admit...we have her CD adn my six-year-old son listens to her sing every night while goign to bed singing about her red high heels! It's the only contestant's CD we have from the season. Its not bad. But, Kyle likes girls with long, straight, blond hair. He's just like Dad.

Anyhow...tonight is NYC, I think. THAT should be a good show.

techwife 01-24-2007 05:00 PM

Oh, and I was also shockingly surprised by the Castro guy. I can't wait to see if they clean him up and how he does. I didn't get the costume, but he could sing!! My early favorite is the back up singer...she's what the show was made for, imho!! time to bring her out from back stage and put her out front where she belongs!!!