General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 09:29 AM   #1  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

Default In pain from work

I can not beleive how much pain I am in right now. I never was one for pain, but I think this would kill anyone.

it's my 6th day at my new job and I'm on my feet 7+ hours I've never been on my feet that much EVER. So I know it's gonna take some getting use to.

Today my step counter reads over 26500 steps... in 7 hours. Today was horrible. I had to drop out a half hour before quitting time because my feet just cramped up and refused to work any more. I had to hobble to my car like a cripple. @_@.

I almost broke down into tears twice, but was able to suck it up. now I'm home and the shoes are off and my feet are screaming at me. I can not beleive I am going back to work tonight. or at all for that matter.

Is there anything... something I can do to stop the pain and ease it during work? any kind of shoes? or foot soak. something?
Old 01-25-2007, 09:36 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Yup, shoes are the thing. Can you get out before you work again? Try going to a good shoe store where they'll fit you and suggest new shoes appropriate for your job, posture etc.
In a pinch, insoles might help some.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:11 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Almost every job that I have ever had requires hours on your feet-a hairdresser, restaurant worker, professional dancer...what kind of work are you doing?

What I would recommend for you might differ, depending on what type of work you are doing exactly.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:15 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I would second the idea of good shoes with good support. If you are working on concrete floors, they are the hardest type. You might want to look for nurse type shoes or anything that is supposed to be good for multiple hours of standing/walking.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:24 AM   #5  
Pending Email Confirmation

Ugh I sympathize with you. When I worked retail it seemed like I would be limping by the time I got home, and if I was lucky enough to have 2 days off in a row - I would just heal enough to go back to work...and start over.

Shoes help. Depending on what you're doing. I found that anything with a thick sole like Dr. Martens and Sketchers don't work so well with a concrete floor, myself. I bought a pair of nusrse type shoes, Easy Spirits, and they are ugly as **** but they worked very well for me.

Good luck!
Old 01-25-2007, 01:17 PM   #6  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
Yup, shoes are the thing. Can you get out before you work again? Try going to a good shoe store where they'll fit you and suggest new shoes appropriate for your job, posture etc.
In a pinch, insoles might help some.
I have to totally agree with this one. I used to work retail and it was brutal until I spent some money on some shoes.

You may be able to get a pair at work that will "get you by" for a week or so, but you really should pamper the tootsies and get a decent pair. Also, go over to the pharmacy and ask the pharmacist about some insoles. There are many different types. I really like the gel ones or the massaging ones. However, they have them for working on hard surfaces, jogging, etc.

Something else I do is roll my feet. I have plantar faciitis (sp). I went to Bed Bath and Beyond and bought this rolly thing. It's double wide so I can do both feet at the same time. There are 3 rollers with various degrees of massage. Start lightly and before you know it, your feet are very happy. I think it is around $20. They may have them at your work. They are usually in a set with other foot products.

Good luck, Sweetie. From one foot sufferer to another, I KNOW how you feel.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:34 AM   #7  
Awesome Iana :P

o.o; where do you work? comfier shoes maybe? i wear skate shoes for work, cause theyre ultra padded, so it makes standing for long periods a little easier.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:25 AM   #8  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

In addition to some good supportive shoes, you may want to see if you can get an anti-fatigue rubber mat. I bought some for my sister who is a dog groomer and on her feet for a good 7-8 hours straight, she says it reduces her leg and back discomfort. I've seen them used in hair salons as well. Of course I'm assuming that you are in a stationary position for most of the day and not walking around all over the place. Good luck and hope you get some relief.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:34 AM   #9  
Pending Email Confirmation

oh i forgot about those, that's true. if i didn't have that when i was cashiering I'd be crying by the end of the day...
i used to use magnetic insoles, but i did not see any plus to them. my vote's on the gel ones.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:37 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

You never answered where you are working, and what type of work you are doing. If you walk a lot, like a waitress-it is different than working in a hair salon, where you are standing on one place all day.
Closed Thread