Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 12-09-2006, 06:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230.8/see ticker/160

Height: 5'8

Default *sigh* Why is healthy food SO much more???

When we were eating the standard american diet I could feed all four family members (2 adults, 1 child and one nursing toddler) for $50 or $60.00 a week. Now that we are eating super healthy we are spending at least $80.00 a week, sometimes up to $110.00. I don't buy anything super expensive....the vegetables are just so flippin' expensive here. Possible because it's wintertime? Argh. I buy whatever is on sale and still end up with a large bill.

How do you handle eating healthy while on a restricted budget?
babygrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 06:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 227/219.5/150

Height: 5'5

Hey,

There was a thread on this awhile ago that will hopefully be helpful...I dont know how the store suggestions will work out in Canada but everything else is really helpful too

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...threadid=97562

let me know if the link doesnt work

Good Luck!
House_of_Mirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 10:16 PM   #3  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

babygrant- I don't think we have the same grocery stores in Ontario and BC but you might check on-line for some discount grocery stores in your area.

Also I find this site handy - www.save.ca - you type in your province or postal code and they show you list of coupons available to you for your area. You select the ones you want and they mail them to you within in a week.

Hope that helps you out.

I load up when there is a sale, make batches of things like pasta sauce, casseroles, lasagna and soups and freeze them to try to stretch out my budget.
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 07:22 PM   #4  

For our family of 2 , I find it convinient and affordable to buy frozen raw veggies in bulk and store them for like 2-3 months...

since I go to the grocery only once in 2 weeks, I had to throw quite a bit if I bought fresh in bulk. Now I stick to frozen brocolli, cauliflower, okra, peas, asparagus, stir fry veggies, corn etc... Its more convienient, I have more stuff to mix and match at home and I never ever have to throw stuff out.

I buy rice and lentils in Indian grocery stores in bulk and cook them as needed. I also invested in an expensive non-stick pan and I now use "no" oil for a lot of things!
willmakeit is offline   Reply With Quote