Old 11-22-2006, 11:35 AM   #16  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I don't think carbs are evil either, but they definitely don't help me
Old 11-22-2006, 02:09 PM   #17  
Free-thinker

Height: 5'9"

I'll try seeing if I can find some type of curry spice or something next time I got to the store. Like I said, I don't hate brown rice. I just can't understand why the seasoning I put in didn't flavor it. But I'll try some other stuff. Thanks!
Old 12-01-2006, 01:37 PM   #18  

Saute the cooked brown rice with some Soy sauce, a bit of olive oil, some chili sauce. Add peanuts, peas and colored peppers. Add salt to taste.

I usually eat my brown rice with stir fried tofu or veggies and its one of my fav dishes.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:47 PM   #19  
a brave new me...

The key is cooking the rice using broth instead of water. Chicken, beef, or veggie broth works. Add fresh garlic, salt, and whatever herbs or spices you have on hand. For a really yummy treat saute some veggies using 1 tsp of olive oil, a few splashes of broth, garlic, and spices... when the veggies starts to wilt stir in the cooked rice. I usually use some shredded carrots, shredded cabbage (or similar), onion, mushroom, and maybe peppers. You can even add some chopped dried fruit like raisins or dried cherries and/or nuts depending on what flavor profile you are going for. So good.

I really hate cooking rice but I found this great brown rice in the natural foods section: Lundberg's "Rice Express". It is seasoned organic whole grain brown rice already cooked and sealed in a bag... santa fe style, asian style, chicken, or beef You cut open the bag, pop it in the microwave for only one minute and thats it! The bag has 2 servings with 260 cals, 4.5 fat, and 3 fiber per serving but 1 serving size is a lot of rice. I keep all the flavors in my cupboard regularly. Fabulous.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:41 PM   #20  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummy_Tummy View Post
I don't eat rice plain either. I have it with curry or stir-fry or some sort of sauce. Maybe I'm nutso but I made the switch from white to brown rice with no problems and never even really noticed that much of a difference in flavor. Same with wholegrain pasta versus white. I don't get people saying there's that much difference in flavor.
I completely agree--I don't notice much difference between white and brown rice at all (nor between white and whole-grain pasta). Personally, I just don't think Mrs. Dash seasoning is very flavorful, which may be why your rice didn't taste very, umm, flavored I find Mrs. Dash quite bland and prefer other types of spices as mentioned.

Also, I know quinoa has been mentioned, but have you ever tried couscous? I find my couscous seems to suck up any flavor I add to it. I cooked 2 big servings the other night and only added about 1/2 T of chile pepper infused macadamia nut oil, and it definitely had a kick

Also as mentioned, I don't ever eat rice (or couscous or whatever) alone. I have veggies or chicken or something with it, and I mix it together so the grain takes on the flavor of the rest of my meal.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:57 PM   #21  
Free-thinker

Height: 5'9"

I use chicken broth now. And I tried adding curry powder, but I don't think I added enough. I might try a whole teaspoon or 2 next time. And I think I have to cook it longer and with more broth. All the grains won't cook fully. But I'm learning. And I found some whole grain balsami, or whatever rice. I'm going to try that when I get done with this Uncle Ben's I am using now.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:57 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 176.9/161/135

Height: 5'3"

Default rice seasonings for sushi rice

you can get different seasonings at whole foods, healthfood store or any Japanese shop. Just sprinkle on top, also good for seafood, chix and salads.

made with nori and other things that are REALLY good for you (if you are not allergic, ie sesame seeds) with very low calories.
You can see them used in Japanese restaurants to dress up sushi rice.

another really nice and spicy item is red pepper in oil with rice wine vinigar. I like to dip dumpling or rice.

Old 12-02-2006, 06:29 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 151/151/130... was 190's in 06

Height: 5'4"

I like brown rice but I have added a bouillon cube to help with flavor. I have also added green onions and I really like how it tastes with the onions. yummy!
Old 12-02-2006, 07:02 PM   #24  

I've been using the 365 brown rice from Whole Foods and I put in a bit of boullion, herbs and dried onion. I toss in some green beans, a tiny handful of corn and some chopped carrot too, since it's usually the main part of my meal. It's pretty yummy!
Old 12-11-2006, 11:46 PM   #25  

Height: 5'5"

Before cooking brown rice, I saute diced onion in the pan, then add the rice and cook it with chicken broth. I have never liked brown rice much when I've had it in restaurants, but I really love it cooked like that.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:05 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

I CRAVE brown rice - and don't season it. I use Success brown rice boil in bags and it's ready in 10 minutes, cooked in plain water. I always eat it with a seasoned chicken, but I definitely think I could eat it plain as just a side snack.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:44 AM   #27  

I love plain brown rice and just cook it with water and salt or broth. It's sweet and nutty on its own.
Closed Thread