Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 11-19-2006, 06:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Question Thanksgiving Help Please

Hey everyone –
I decided today to invite my sisters over for Thanksgiving. They both work that day but I figured they could come over and we could have a late dinner. I’ve never cooked a major meal but I figure I would give it a try. I am looking for recipes that are low-fat so I can eat them but they wont complain about. I would really appreciate any help. Any recipes are welcome but I am specifically looking for recipes for a low fat dressing (cornbread if possible others if not) and green bean casserole (my one sister wont be happy without it)!

Thanks for any help!
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 07:47 AM   #2  
LLV

I'm not sure about the stuffing. I mean, as far as stuffing goes, it's mostly bread and veggies (if you use celery and onions or carrot, etc) and broth. And that's pretty much it. Unless, of course, you use meats or oysters in yours. Just make your stuffing without butter or oil and that will cut fat and calories.

As far as green bean casserole - I make it every year, too. I use the 98% fat-free Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup. Where the fat comes in with this dish - the french fried onions. If it weren't for the french fried onions, there wouldn't really be anything fattening about green bean casserole. I'm in charge of making the green bean casserole every year for Thanksgiving (everyone expects it) and I cut fat and calories by, again, using the 98% fat-free soup, but if I don't add those french fried onions, I'll get clobbered. So I got ahead and just put 'em in there and deal with it.

On Thanksgiving I go ahead and just eat anyway, I don't worry about it. It's only once a year. But when I dig into the green beans, I at least try and avoid picking up too many of the onions.

Maybe others will have suggestions for a lowcal replacement you can use for the onions.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 09:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Thanks but I no longer need the help it appears plans have changed again. Don't you love siblings.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote