Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 11-08-2006, 04:26 PM   #16  
something witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
I agree with that, but I don't think that high calorie is necessarily bad or unhealthy. I do think it's important to be aware and mindful when eating but I personally would never consider a banana or a grape a "bad" food for any reason. High calorie, possibly should be measured - sure. "Bad" - heck no!

So, sorry I harped on semantics I bit, I understand the gist of the thread really and sorry for derailing!

Sorry, I wasn't clear. Those were just examples of what I expected to see in the thread, not necessarily what I would have posted myself!
I have to agree that when I saw this thread I thought it would be more about trail mix, artificial sweeteners etc. I kind of cringed when I saw grapes and peas. Sure, they might not be the healthiest in their food group, but people really don't need to be avoiding fruits and veggies, you know?

And I agree that it's all about moderation, but some foods are deceptively marketed as "healthy" when really, they should be considered treats. For example:

Trail mix and granola, as was mentioned before, can have a lot of sugar and transfat.

Low-fat muffins or baked goods- it's still just cake.

Sugar-free stuff. I know not everyone agrees on this, but I'm very wary of those artificial sweeteners.

Energy bars- They might be fortified, but it's basically a candy bar. Have you noticed Mars bars have "energy bar" written on the wrapper?

"Healthy" breakfast cereal like Vector- don't get me wrong, I love the stuff but man is it sweet!

So think an important thing for people to know is: Some foods are healthier than others, but healthy doesn't mean you should/could eat a ton of it.

This is a really interesting thread!
linki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:52 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 240/207/135

Height: 5'6

For me, it has to be peanut butter, honey, and nuts. I love to eat them but definitely in small quantities.
athenac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 05:49 PM   #18  
trouble

S/C/G: 240/219/160

Height: 5'4

heh..... bagels....

I have a very good friend who associates bagels with being healthy and grabs a bagel every day for breakfast.... a big bagel, with HEAPS of flavoured cream cheese.....

i guess there are lots of things that are traditionally seen as "healthy" and so many people think it gives them a free pass to eat as much of them as they want, in whatever form they want, and that they don't need to be concerned with portions
isthatreallyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 06:00 PM   #19  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
i guess there are lots of things that are traditionally seen as "healthy" and so many people think it gives them a free pass to eat as much of them as they want, in whatever form they want, and that they don't need to be concerned with portions
That is what I meant with the peas/corn. They are starchy, so I can't eat as much as I want of them...but its not like I cut them out altogether.

I also eat a whole wheat bagel for breakfast sometimes with some fat free cream cheese - it is my "breakfast for a busy Saturday morning" option. I make sure I count the calories and add it into my day.

I want to add - fruit smoothies! Yes, they have fruit, but there is a ton of other high cal stuff in there. However, I still make my own with just fruit, ff yogurt, and light soy milk, and sometimes will make a meal of one of the jamba juice all-fruit varieties if I am really in a pinch. But it is a food I have to monitor.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 06:32 PM   #20  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

Here's a big one (I was fooled by this one when I was younger)

CHICKEN SALAD!

Used to have this on a CROISSANT! Probably, um, 800 or more calories!!! Mayonnaise is some serious stuff! Thought I was eating something low cal...it has SALAD in the name!
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 09:06 PM   #21  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Here's my complaint about bananas. A banana has 25 calories per ounce. Most other fruit (melon, apples, pears, peaches, grapes, pluots, berries, pineapple, mango, etc.) have anywhere from 10 to 20 calories per ounce. Melon comes in the lowest at 9-11 calories per oz, grapes come in the highest at 20 calories per ounce. But bananas have even more calories than grapes.

A 5 oz banana has 125 calories, whereas I could eat a 5 oz pluot (one of my favorite fruits) for 75 calories or a 5 oz peach for 55 calories.

If bananas are one of your favorite fruits, then there's nothing wrong with eating them. But for me, there are too many other fruits out there that I can eat instead that have fewer calories (and some of which I like better than bananas).

The problem with a lot of the foods mentioned here, particularly nuts, avocados, dried fruits, corn, peas, and potatoes is that although they might be good for me, I honestly just cannot fit those calories into my day. I eat 1400-1500 calories a day and I feel like I barely get enough food. A 1/4 cup of nuts has around 180 calories. For me to eat that 1/4 cup of nuts, I have to basically give up food equivalent to half my lunch or dinner! That just doesn't work for me. Same thing goes for the rest of the list. I'm sure if you are on a higher calorie count, those are great foods to eat, but they just don't work for me. I will sometimes work corn and/or potatoes in, but those times are pretty few and far between. Until I can eat more calories (if I ever am able to given that I'm maintaining at my current calorie level), nuts, avocados, and dried fruit are out of the question.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:40 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

For me it is beans, chickpeas, that sort of thing. I LOVE them, and they are healthy (fibre, protein, etc) - but I can easily eat 3 cups of chickpeas for dinner, which is 800 calories! 1/2 cup of beans just doesn't do it for me, y'know?
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:25 AM   #23  

As a form of protein, do you think its better to get it from beans or chicken? What is the calorie difference of the two? Which has more protein/fiber?
ILUVFOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:29 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

For me it's chicken. Lean protein with low fat ... is where it's at ... for me.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 02:37 PM   #25  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

wow 3 cups of beans, that is some serious bean eating and I can eat some beans.

Beans are good for you, low fat and have fiber. But they are incomplete protein. If don't eat a complete protein within a 24 hour period, you should use veggies, grains and legumes within that 24 hour period to make your protein eating "complete". If you have beans for lunch and then chicken for dinner, then you are fine or if you eat beans for lunch and then brown rice and a variety of veggies for dinner, then you are also fine.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 02:57 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

You know, ANY food can be bad if you eat too much of it! I knew a guy who heard that cottage cheese was the ultimate diet food. He'd eat 6 cups per meal thinking that just eating a diet food would make him lose weight! Not!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 03:08 PM   #27  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post

Beans are good for you, low fat and have fiber. But they are incomplete protein. If don't eat a complete protein within a 24 hour period, you should use veggies, grains and legumes within that 24 hour period to make your protein eating "complete". If you have beans for lunch and then chicken for dinner, then you are fine or if you eat beans for lunch and then brown rice and a variety of veggies for dinner, then you are also fine.
Whats an incomplete protein? Is meat 'complete'? Whats the diff between the two types of proteins?
ILUVFOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 03:34 PM   #28  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

A complete protein is a protein that contains all the essential amino acids that our body needs. Animal proteins are complete proteins. Non animal sources of protein contain a few of the essential amino acids. In order to get all of the essential amino acids from non animal sources, you need to eat a variety of legumes, grains and vegetables. Soy is the one exception in that it is a complete protein.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 03:42 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
lol, I know! I am a serious "volume" eater. Things like air-popped popcorn, veggies, anything I can eat & eat & eat without having a ton of calories - those are my godsend. There is something about the actual PROCESS of eating that I just enjoy. When I eat, I want to do it for a long, long time! Hence, I think, most of my weight issues. . .
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 04:03 PM   #30  

Sugar in fruit is actually good for you so bananas and grapes are not bad foods. In fact, There are no "good" or "bad" foods, only good or bad choices. I'd say the 100-caloried packs are bad food if I had to choose - little nutrition, keeps carb cravings going and way over priced.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote