Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 09-17-2006, 11:33 AM   #1  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 318/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Default I'm a smoothie convert!

A few years ago, not even when I was on a weight loss plan, I got a smoothie from some place in the mall food court, some thing with some gimmick-y energy or wellness supplement in it---and it was HORRIBLE! So I figured, I just don't like smoothies so well! But since I've been on plan for over six months now, I noticed on my fitday diary (dont bother linking it from my siggy, I've been crap about keeping it accurate for about a week!) that I didn't get enough protein in my day, plus I think it'll help me since I've been exercising to promote lean muscle....well anyways, I searched the pharmacy (should I have gone to GNC?) and WOW the protein powder stuff is $$$ EXPENSIVE $$$ so I chose the Kashi Vanilla shakes ($ 13.99 for 14.8 oz) (they also make a chocolate one). Took it home, made one with pineapple, strawberry and banana---OMG *swoon* they were so yummy! And filling!! I made one with grapes, not so good, but I did drink it all.

So the reason I'm putting this out there---can you guys give me some yummy recipes/combos to put in my shakes? And should I beware something? I feel like I'm eating ice cream or something naughty! Am I drinking too much? (about 8 oz at a serving, so far not more than once a day) What brand shakes do you get? Oh and do you think adding something else (flaxseed?) would be beneficial?

I'm sure there are a million smoothie threads out there, but lurking around, I haven't seen one in a few weeks, and maybe this would be a good one to compile recipes and hit one big print.

Thanks in advance! ---off to make my breakfast SMOOTHIE!!!! (this morning- strawberries and banana)
NurseMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 11:39 AM   #2  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 318/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

LOL, its me again---I guess I could have just hit "edit" and added this, but EVS (any rockstar supernova viewers out there?)

Forgot to ask, do you use fancy smoothie makers or just your plain ol kitchen blenders? I'm just using my blender for now, but I've seen cute el cheapos at walmart, even one I have my eye on that makes single servings and you just pop a travel lid right on the blender part and take the whole thing to go. But I don't think it makes a difference? Maybe ask for one as a Christmas or BDay gift?
NurseMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 11:55 AM   #3  

Oh my...I LOVE SMOOTHIES!

The problem is, I suck them down in less than 2 minutes. For some reason, I cannot slow down and savor smoothies. I just love them!

But the smoothies I enjoy are unhealthy, hence the reason I have to stay away from them. I buy canned tropical fruit salad by the CASE. When I want a smoothie, I throw an ice cold can in the blender, blend, and ENJOY! Well, more like devour.

I apologize for not being able to offer any recipes...but you are doing much better than me with having protein in yours.

Best wishes, hun!
WhitWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 04:01 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 245/217/150

Height: 5'6.5"

My favorite Protein powder is more of a meal replacement thing... I use Atkins Protein Powder...It come in a bunch of flavors. I usually buy Vanilla but also like the Cappachino... They are sugar free, high protein and low carb.

I use frozen fruit unstead of ice cubes..it is much smoother and thicker. I hate chunks of ice...

If I want Chocolate, I add a pouch of Suger Free Fat Free Hot cocoa mix.

My base recipes for Smoothies is the following:
1 cup FF Soy Milk (regular milk or juices can be substituted)
4 oz. FF SF Yogurt (any flavor goes with what I want)
2 scoops Protein Powder

I take the powder and milk and blend a couple seconds until blended, add the yogurt and blend well..

Then add Frozen Fruit. blend until thick and no chunks remain.

It is good with Strawberries (my favorite) Peaches, Berries, Frozen Bananas, Cantelop or Pineapple. or any combo of what you like.

Strawberrry Banana
Banana Blueberry
Mixed Berries
Pineapple, banana and coconut
Chocolate peanut butter Banana...YUM! I use 1 tbsp Peanut butter.
Chocolate Cappachino with Banana
Strawberry Pineapple
Apple Banana (using apple sauce)
Pineapple Strawberry with a splash of Pomegranete juice.

The possibliities are endless...Just use your imagination!

Hope this helps.
sunshinedaizy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 04:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 245/217/150

Height: 5'6.5"

I forgot...I use a blender called a Power chopper. I got it from HSN. But it has a cup system like the Magic Bullet...But I started using a regular old Blender.
Both work just as well.
sunshinedaizy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:07 PM   #6  
1st baby due 3/1/07!!!

S/C/G: 150/158/135

Height: 5.3

I make my smoothies with frozen fruit - strawberries, peaches, mango, pineapple, any berry really- add fat free vanilla yogurt, ice, a fresh banana and a splash of OJ.......amazing and very healthy smoothies

They're great as snacks, give you tons of vitamins, and taste yummy! I use a regular blender to make my smoothies.
babymomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:36 PM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

I make my smoothies with a Braun hand blender...

I use GNC Vanilla Whey protein powder 20g protein, 1g carb... I use vanilla because it's easier to add fruits. I usually use frozen strawberries, mango or fresh bananas, peaches.... I use water, less calories than milk or soy milk. I prefer to eat my calories rather than drink them. The only time I have a smoothie is after a workout. I do have a chocolate one too but I just add water to that one shake and gulp...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 11:28 AM   #8  

This is from Sugarfree Sheila 1/2 cup EggBeaters: 1ounce water:1oz heavy cream:2 scoops shake mix:3 ounces cream cheese:3 handsful of cracked ice. The chocolate mix tastes bestFor a breakfast shake use 3 ounces cream cheese:1/2 cup EggBeaters 1/4 cup cream: 1T DaVinci any flavour:3=4 ice cubes
islandgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 02:58 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/160

Height: 5' 5"

I make one for myself every morning. I put a cup of vanilla soy milk in the blender and add 5 frozen strawberries and a small handful (6-7) frozen raspberries. It takes delicious and it's less than 200 calories.
galengail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 11:06 PM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandgurl View Post
This is from Sugarfree Sheila 1/2 cup EggBeaters: 1ounce water:1oz heavy cream:2 scoops shake mix:3 ounces cream cheese:3 handsful of cracked ice. The chocolate mix tastes bestFor a breakfast shake use 3 ounces cream cheese:1/2 cup EggBeaters 1/4 cup cream: 1T DaVinci any flavour:3=4 ice cubes
That sounds delicious, but is it supposed to be low fat?

Another smoothie I like is to mix cold coffee with a scoop of chocolate PP and some ice cubes...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote