Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 09-01-2006, 10:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/160

Height: 5' 5"

Default Boca Burgers

I just discovered that Boca burgers (soy burgers) are only 90 calories each! How exciting, especially since they taste wonderful if you pick up the grilled sort and fry them in a pan with a couple sprays of the Pam. A Boca Burger on a whole wheat bun with a cup of soup is a delicious dinner, and it stays with you for quite some time.

Has anyone tried Gardenburgers? They were on the shelf as well, but I've never tried them myself.
galengail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 09:32 AM   #2  
Weight-Loss Warrior

S/C/G: 195/188.4/160

Height: 5'8"

I've tried the Gardenburgers and all the other brands as well I like them the best out of all the vegetarian burgers out there.
Liz-z78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 10:22 AM   #3  
A Rose E'er Blooming

S/C/G: 234/234/150

Height: 5'3"

I'm not too keen on the Boca Burgers. I do use their crumbles in chilies or meat sauce, but that's about it. The Gardenburgers are awesome, and so are Morningstar Farms' products. I just tried MSF's veggie dogs, and was pleasantly surprised at how good they were.
Lillybet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 12:12 PM   #4  
Determined

I forget if it's garden or boca but one of them has a black bean variety, and there is also a few spicy flavors that are REALLY good! The parmesan garden burger "chicken" patty is also really good, though it has more cals....
happydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 02:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I LOVE the morningstar farm Spicy Black Bean Burgers!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 02:33 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

I've been using the Schneider's Veggie Burgers they are very good... They also have Schneider's Chicken nuggets, Schneider's Meatballs... I made the meatballs with my regular BBQ sauce recipe and they were excellent...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 02:37 PM   #7  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Boca burgers "grillers" and they're "chik'n" burgers are a staple in my freezer...LOVE THEM!!!! I also recently tried the BB's vegetarian chili bowl. Yum yum...a little on the spicy side but delish!!
angel-eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:51 PM   #8  
LLV

I like the Morningstar Farms 'chicken' patties. If you put them in the toaster oven, they get nice and crispy. Throw it on a bun and it feels like you're eating a deep-fried chicken sandwich.

The burgers, they're not bad. But I ate so many of them in the beginning of my WLJ (weight loss journey) that I burned myself out on those things.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 10:26 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/160

Height: 5' 5"

I love, love, love those Morningstar Chick Patties. They really are delicious and crispy. I've been eating the Boca Grillers, which taste a bit better than the regular variety. They're 20 more calories, but definitely worth that.

I've heard so many good things about the Black Bean Burger that Gardenburger makes. I've been trying to find it at all the grocery stores I go to, but haven't seen it yet.

I also like Morningstar's Veggie Corndogs. They're just as good as regular "real" corndogs. I've also used the ground beef they make which tastes pretty good in a taco.
galengail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 11:50 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I love Garden Burger Savory Portabello Mushroom and Morning Star Farms Spicy Black Bean Burgers. I also love MSF's veggie crumbles (GREAT for pasta sauce) and "steak" strips (GREAT for stir fries and soft tacos!)
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 12:05 AM   #11  
Angelina/Gerard is Love

S/C/G: 291.8/286.8/199

Height: 5'4 1/2

I'm going to have to try some of those one day. I've been seeing them at the Supercenter but they seem pricey to me (but EVERYTHING is pricey to my cheap behind!).
JasonsLea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:15 PM   #12  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

So far, I've only tried the Morningstar Farms mushroom lovers burger (because I am a mushroom lover!) and, as the name implies, I love it! So much so, that I'm having trouble branching out to the other varieties (once I find something I like, I stick with it). But with all the raves about the black bean burger, maybe I'll have to try that as well.

Hmmm--maybe I'll have a gardenburger for lunch.

- Barbara
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 06:24 PM   #13  
Ilene the Bean

Does anyone know if you can get Morningstar Farms in Canada?
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 02:13 PM   #14  

With my family of 5 those little boxes of vege burgers can add up quick $$ so I thought I would try this recipie this weekend and make a batch to eat and freeze.

McVeggie Burgers

Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Baking Time: 30 minutes
Servings: makes 16 burgers

20 ounces firm water-packed tofu, drained well
12.3 ounces silken tofu
10 ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
½ cup water
1 large onion, chopped
½ pound mushrooms, chopped
3 cloves garlic, pressed
3 cups quick oats
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon lemon juice
½ teaspoon ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Place both kinds of the tofu in a food processor and process until fairly smooth, stopping several times to scrape down the bowl. Transfer processed tofu to a large bowl and set aside.

Drain the spinach well and press any excess water out with your hands. (Spinach should be very dry.) Set aside.

Place the water, onion, mushrooms and garlic in a large non-stick frying pan. Cook, stirring frequently until onion has softened and all liquid has been absorbed, about 10-12 minutes. Set aside.

Add the oats and the seasonings to the tofu mixture and mix well. Add the spinach and mix in well, using your hands. Add the onion mixture and continue to mix with your hands until all ingredients are well combined. Take a small amount and form into a ball shape (a bit larger than a golf ball), then flatten into a burger-sized patty about ¼ inch thick and place on a non-stick baking sheet. (If you do not have a good non-stick baking sheet, then lightly oil your baking sheet first.) Repeat this process until all the mixture is used. (It will help to lightly moisten your hands several times during this process.) Bake for 20 minutes, then flip over and bake an additional 10 minutes. Cool on racks after removing from the oven. Serve in a whole wheat bun with your favorite condiments.

Hints: These may be prepared ahead and refrigerated or frozen for future use. They reheat well in the microwave, in the oven, or on a grill or griddle.
GoingGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:49 PM   #15  

I have tried the black bean burgers from gardenburger long back but I dont find it anymore. If anyone else is also sharing the problem, please write an email to them... I wrote to them yesterday.

Morningfarms tomato and basil burgers are very tasty too. I also like Amy's California Veggie burgers.
willmakeit is offline   Reply With Quote