Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 08:06 AM   #16  

Height: 5'8.5"

Norma, actually I do eat healthy and use olive oil for most stuff. But for some things I really don't like the taste. But actually I use very small amounts of any of that kind of thing... you can "fry" most stuff with water or broth, and I fry very little anyway except maybe an egg now and then.

In any case I have been wanting to break the cooking spray habit anyway. I do use the spray on popcorn, and olive oil just won't "cut it" for that. Colleen, I am sure you are right that there are probably other brands that are more honest about the calorie count, but I would really like to use this time to just break away from it completely to avoid the chemicals.

I have done the "wiping it around with a paper towel" thing too -- good idea, Barbara. I also like just getting a mister and putting my own oil into it.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:36 AM   #17  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle View Post
I can if I catch them. <G> And this is blatant deception to the point of being an outright lie.
They're not lying about anything. There probably *ARE* zero calories in 1/3 of a second spray.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:30 PM   #18  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Does anyone have any info about these evil chemicals? My non-stick spray can ingredients are 100% Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Soy Lecithin, Water, and Propellant. Seeing as how the propellant is listed last, there obviously can't be much of it in there--is it really that bad? Does anyone know what the propellant actually is?

I dunno...I don't think 1/3 second spray is all too dishonest. After reading this thread yesterday, I timed how long I sprayed my pan for burgers, and it was not even 1 full second (couldn't get all the way through "Mississippi" ), and that was a pan big enough to hold 4 turkey burger patties--after all, it's supposed to be a light mist, right, not spray-painting the pan yellow? I guess if I wanted to get picky about untruthful food labels, I think there are more severe cases that would earn my attention first. How about the peanut butters, fat-free Cool Whip, potato chips, and countless other foods that contain hydrogenated oils, yet say 0g trans fat on the label? All that really means is that there's less than .5g trans fat per serving, but there could very well be .49, so you have a couple servings of these foods throughout the day, and your total of something you thought you were avoiding altogether adds up

Maybe I'm just a bit more lenient because of my marketing/business background/education. Losing weight is more important to me than sticking it to the man (although I do enjoy pointing out man-sticking opportunities as much as the next person--I just can't afford to avoid every company with a shred of truth-bending--then I wouldn't be able to eat anything I don't grow myself!).
Old 08-14-2006, 05:52 PM   #19  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I have never used sprays... I use Becel Light and for 35 calories for two tbsp it doesn't seem that bad to me.... I guess I don't really use a lot of butter in any of my cooking... I think about the only time I use butter is when I fry eggs, and even then its such a small amount.... oh and when I make grilled cheese!
Old 08-14-2006, 05:54 PM   #20  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Jill- from what I've been able to tell, it's a chemical that maintains the pressure in an aerosal can, but is practiaclly non existent outside of the can.... I think....

I agree, if I were to scrutinize the contents of every single product I used down to the last ingredient, I'm afraid I would be forced into a life of solitude, deep in the mountains to live off of nuts and berries and bathe in snow. I fear I know too much as it is already.

BTW- hope the Guster concert was good. Did Ray Lamontagne open?
Old 08-14-2006, 06:10 PM   #21  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug41 View Post
BTW- hope the Guster concert was good. Did Ray Lamontagne open?
It was AWESOME (even though it was an ampitheater on a day with a heat index of 110)--and yes, although I'd never heard of Ray before, so that was new to me. He sounded good, but he doesn't have much of a stage presence

Courtnie, I forgot about actual butter--I use fat-free Promise for 5 calories and 0g fat (err, at least less than .5g) per tablespoon on my grilled cheese instead of non-stick spray.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:19 PM   #22  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug41 View Post
I agree, if I were to scrutinize the contents of every single product I used down to the last ingredient, I'm afraid I would be forced into a life of solitude, deep in the mountains to live off of nuts and berries and bathe in snow. I fear I know too much as it is already.
Exactly.

Something I've learned in my journey to lose weight is that you eventually relax a little and stop freaking out over every little detail.

Like to Misti, for example... I can appreciate the fact that you want to eat clean. I think that's great. But you've got to stop trashing and bashing every food product you don't approve of. I used to do that too. But I relaxed eventually and you will too, with time. Like the way you bash the Lean Cuisines... yes, to you, they're crap. But some of us DO eat them and we eat them regularly and I don't think it's necessary for you to continually bash these food products. I can't count how many posts there are of you literally thrashing calorie-controlled meals, even to those people who admit they eat them on a regular basis. That's not nice, honey. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean no one else does. It's like a belief in a religion, for example - I may not believe in a particular religion, but I respect the beliefs and opinions of those who do. And I'd never make them feel lousy for holding onto those beliefs.

I respect your opinions, but so many of your posts about food are on the negative side. I'm not saying you're being negative for wanting to stop using cooking spray. That's not my point. That's your right and your opinion. What I mean is you tend to REALLY lash out with your beliefs about food that you don't approve of, even though others are eating those foods regularly.

You're entitled to your opinions just like the rest of us - but don't be so harsh about it and sit there and blatantly call foods that some of us eat regularly CRAP. That's your opinion. And that's great. But respect the opinions of those who happen to like these foods.

You'll relax in time. And no, I'm not saying you'll relax to the point where you'll start eating the foods you disapprove of. I mean you'll relax to where you're doing your thing and letting others do theirs without posting negative comments about their beliefs

And editing to say, I'm not trying to offend you or make you mad. I'm just saying I think you need to relax a little. And to be honest, I've been wanting to say this to you for some time now. If I've upset you, it's not my intention. I'm just spouting off some constructive criticism is all because sometimes (Im not saying always) you can get pretty nasty when you start your bashfests on certain foods.

Last edited by LLV; 08-14-2006 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:23 PM   #23  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
[COLOR=Indigo]It was AWESOME (even though it was an ampitheater on a day with a heat index of 110)--and yes, although I'd never heard of Ray before, so that was new to me. He sounded good, but he doesn't have much of a stage presence COLOR]
haha, i asked because he has had some problems on stage with getting PO'd at loud audience members and stormed off stage and yelled at people and what-not. He is meant for the iPod or the coffee shop in my opinion. I think he was a bad match with Guster (tho I love them both). Anyway, glad you had a good time!

back OT....
Old 08-16-2006, 12:22 PM   #24  
Proud Army Mom!

S/C/G: 202/185/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV View Post
You're entitled to your opinions just like the rest of us - but don't be so harsh about it and sit there and blatantly call foods that some of us eat regularly CRAP. That's your opinion. And that's great. But respect the opinions of those who happen to like these foods.

I eat one lean cuisine a day for lunch, and I'm sooo glad that we have them available to us, and i'm loosing weight (which is priority #1 to me). i figure on the "crap" scale, one lean cuisine a day, is much better than one supersized #1 meal at McD's anyday of the week thankyouverymuch. Thanks for sticking up for us lean cuisine'ers.

Last edited by mel67; 08-16-2006 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:32 PM   #25  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel67 View Post
i figure on the "crap" scale, one lean cuisine a day, is much better than one supersized #1 meal at McD's anyday of the week
Very good point--I know I didn't get so fat by eating too many Lean Cuisines

I went through a (brief) period where I didn't want to eat anything with "chemical" or "crap" ingredients. However, I then learned that some of what I thought were "chemical" ingredients (you know, the big long words you can't even pronounce ) were actually just fancy words for things like Vitamin B12 or natural preservatives.

Oh, and like I said, for anyone who is worried about chemicals, the only ingredients in my non-stick spray are extra virgin olive oil, water, soy lecithin (actually known to help prevent many serious diseases), and the propellant (which if I'm understanding correctly is really just used to create pressure in the can and is not part of what comes out onto your pan).

Although, I also understand Misti's original point--this isn't really about the ingredients--it's about the deception on the label. And it is frustrating, yes, but almost all companies round their calories (and, for obvious reasons, round down). I bet those 100-calorie snack packs actually have up to 104.9 calories in them
Old 08-16-2006, 01:37 PM   #26  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel67 View Post
I eat one lean cuisine a day for lunch, and I'm sooo glad that we have them available to us, and i'm loosing weight (which is priority #1 to me). i figure on the "crap" scale, one lean cuisine a day, is much better than one supersized #1 meal at McD's anyday of the week thankyouverymuch. Thanks for sticking up for us lean cuisine'ers.
I love 'em. I like Healthy Choice, too. I'll also buy the Smart Ones now and then.

In fact, I need to stock up again. I'm down to only 3 LC's in my freezer, lol.

I also agree with Jill's post below, about the cookies and stuff. I'm sure every single pack doesn't have EXACTLY 100 calories. But you know, hey, if you're not sure, then give yourself some leeway every day. Like slop on an extra 50 calories a day just for those 'hidden' little evils. Because I'm sure there have been many days I've eaten more calories than I thought I did and other days where I've eaten LESS than I thought.

I don't try and pinpoint it down to an exact science. I go by the averages and estimates. And really, that's all we CAN do.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:32 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 205/199/150

Height: 5'8"

I love lean cuisines, healthy choice and smart ones! I know it has helped me lose some weight. Plus I use Pam all the time, much better than putting tablespoons of vegetable oil in a pan!
Old 08-16-2006, 03:23 PM   #28  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

Height: 5'4"

A frozen entree brand I like and take to work for lunch about once a week is called Ethnic Gourmet. It's a line of Indian/Thai/Italian/other frozen dinners that are minimally processed, contain some really healthy ingredients and are YUMMY! Every time I heat one up at work, people gather around asking me what it is 'cuz it smells sooo good. I get mine @ either Kroger or Whole Foods and they're ~$4-5 each. I don't know how that compares in price to the brands mentioned above (although I should b/c my DH brings a Lean Cuisine to work for lunch almost every day!) and since I don't count calories I don't know how things stack up there, either.

I will say that for me, I try to strike a balance between nutrition and convenience in the foods I eat. It's hard to keep at this if it's too onerous/time-consuming. A new WOE is a big part of my life but it's not my WHOLE life. Gotta have some time for other things, right?
Old 08-16-2006, 03:46 PM   #29  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingFree View Post
I try to strike a balance between nutrition and convenience in the foods I eat.
I also have to add money to the mix--shopping at Whole Foods puts a MAJOR strain on my budget
Old 08-16-2006, 04:30 PM   #30  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

As for oil sprays, they contain oil, oil contains calories, but they are rounding their calories down. As I understand it, the manufacturers don't even control the labeling really, it is part of the USDA or FDA? I'm not sure. So they say "here is what a serving is for spray oil" and the manufacturer comes up with a number less than 0, so they put 0 on the label.

If you want to do a more natural type of spray, there are spritzers out there that use air and I think you have to pump them but they do work similar to spray oils. I think when I run out of my can of Pam, I may look into buying one.

As far as frozen meals go, I don't do them. I do like to control my ingredients, especially sodium. I also think it is cheaper for me to make my own frozen meals which are basically leftovers of food I make. I take my lunch every day to work. It is usually leftovers. Last week, I made too much of a recipe, so we ate the leftovers and then I made individual frozen lunches with some of the leftovers so I could eat it at a later date.

I don't have a problem if someone chooses to use frozen meals because well that is your choice Although I do think if you do it for yourself it is probably better for you and cheaper.
Closed Thread