Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 08-07-2006, 02:03 PM   #1  

Default Cooking Oil???

Ok I am really trying to exercise, watch what i eat and change any bad habits that i have had in the past. So far i am doing a great job and am really proud of myself. A friend was telling me that sunflower oil is better to cook with than anything else. Then she sent me an article about Lay's is using Sunflower Oil to make healthier products, so i have become a big fan and proponent. I am curious, what kind of oils do you cook with and why? Sorry if this question has already been addressed. I feel like there is always something new to learn about and any insight would be appreciated.
VelVeeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 02:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 240/207/135

Height: 5'6

I usually cook with olive oil, but if I'm cooking with really high temperatures then it's vegetable oil.
athenac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:05 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I really only use olive oil. I've been reading that our consumption of omega-3 fatty acids and omega-6 fatty acids are out of whack, which is why it is important to eat products that have healthy omega-3 fatty acids which include fish and flax seed oil. Olive oil doesn't tip the balance either way but is a heart healthy oil. I generally don't cook at high temperatures so I don't need to worry about using other oils.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:40 PM   #4  

Olive oil or canola oil, because as Nelie said they are heart-healthy oils. I don't use a lot, though!
sugarlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:44 PM   #5  
LLV

I rarely ever use oil for anything, but if I have to use it at all, I use olive or canola. Canola has a higher concentration of monounsaturated fats than sunflower. Sunflower is more polyunsaturated. And while poly fats help to reduce overall blood cholesterol, they say it also, unfortunately, reduces HDL (the good cholesterol). Mono fats help RAISE good cholesterol. Canola also has Omega-3's and has the lowest concentration of saturated fats, even lower than olive. However, olive oil is prized for its many health benefits. You just can't use it for deep-frying. But who wants to deep-fry anyway?

Here's a link to types of oils and their concentration of certain fats.

http://www.hormel.com/templates/know...emid=40&id=189
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:03 PM   #6  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Trying to follow all the information about what oils are good for you and bad for you is too much for me. Seems like everyone has a different opinion and the information is always changing (and I don't trust anything that comes from a food company or oil producer). Also, I try to use as little oil as possible, so I don't go through it very fast and can't have lots of bottles of different varieties hanging around. They'll go rancid in my house (I've definitely had this happen--it's pretty disgusting).

So I use olive oil for everything. I have a spray bottle that I use when I just need enough to make a non-stick surface (I'll often spray and then wipe of the excess with a paper towel) and a regular bottle that I use when I need larger amounts.

- Barbara
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:20 PM   #7  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

I use oil very sparingly and don't deep fry anything, so I pefer to use light olive oil (the same calories - about 110 per tbsp., but lighter in color than e.v.o.o. with almost no taste). I used to love dipping Italian olive bread in high quality extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar - but that was in my other life.....
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:52 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 175 / ticker / 125

Height: 5'2"

I use peanut oil for stir frying, and olive oil for everything else. I also have some sesame oil and almond oil around, though I never use them.
BigChiefHoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 11:20 PM   #9  
LLV

A dash or two of sesame oil is GREAT for Asian stir-frys
Old 08-08-2006, 04:52 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

Olive oil is great in sauces & other *low-temperature* cooking; however, if it's high temp (like frying) you are burning the oil and probably destroying all the benefits it might give.

I do high-temp cooking with grapeseed oil.

If you see an oil "smoking" (smoke-point) then you are burning it and thus, probably negating its healthy benefits, and some will say, even harming yourself since you are changing the chemical make-up of the oil. This could mean that you are creating harmful compounds (you've all heard that charcoal-grilling argument about the "burned" parts causing cancer... this is basically the same thing).
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:40 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 175 / ticker / 125

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV
A dash or two of sesame oil is GREAT for Asian stir-frys
I've used my sesame oil once or twice in stir frying (I love a good Asian stir fry - I make one at least twice a week for supper), but it always leaves a bitter taste that bothers me. I'm not sure about how much sugar to add to counterbalance it (or even if sugar would do the trick). Nice flavor, but the bitterness is weird.
BigChiefHoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 01:51 PM   #12  

Thanks everyone. I dont use oil a ton but i am enjoying all of the responses. As i said before i am starting to look for Sunflower oil on chips bags and stuff like that because its definitely healthier than the normal oil they use for chips. I dont think how dedicated to a diet i was that i could stop eating chips, LOL! At least i am trying to stick to the lower calorie ones.
VelVeeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 02:15 PM   #13  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelVeeta
Thanks everyone. I dont use oil a ton but i am enjoying all of the responses. As i said before i am starting to look for Sunflower oil on chips bags and stuff like that because its definitely healthier than the normal oil they use for chips. I dont think how dedicated to a diet i was that i could stop eating chips, LOL! At least i am trying to stick to the lower calorie ones.
I've never given up any of the foods I love, I just eat them in extreme moderation, depending on how 'bad' they are. I'm not on a diet, I'm in this for life, and if you deprive yourself of foods you really like, it'll make the whole thing seem more like a chore than a lifestyle. Then you'll eventually cave, say "screw it all!" and eat a whole pizza, lol.