Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-25-2006, 08:12 AM   #1  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Default microwaving meat?

So my BF disclosed to me that he microwaves meat... to cook it. He decided he wanted tacos for lunch this week and bought a bunch of (raw) ground turkey and "cooked" it in the microwave. Apparently he's been doing this for a while. Is this safe?!? I always thought that was a no-no, so if you smart ladies could enlighten me one way ot the other, I would greatly appreciate it!
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:18 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

It certainly is safe! I do it all the time. There are lots of meat recipes that are done in the microwave.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 11:41 PM   #3  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

I never cook things in the microwave especially meat. I heat things up in it but that is about all.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 11:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx
It certainly is safe! I do it all the time. There are lots of meat recipes that are done in the microwave.
Me too!! Especially a single chicken breast. And I've done ground turkey too. And hamburger. Everything. But fish usually doesn't work in the microwave. I'm really careful about getting the chicken done and washing the knife in between cuttings. I'm paranoid about samonella ([sic] ~ too lazy to look it up).

Oh ~ and eggs too!!! I'm SOOOO lazy.

Pretty gross, huh?
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 06:41 AM   #5  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

lol.... thanks guys. It's just one of those things I just never saw done. While I don't think I'll ever do that myself, I'm glad to know it won't make him sick.

Harpo- I do microwave egg whites. I love eggs in all forms and it doesn't bother me a bit.

Just one of those things....
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:13 AM   #6  

Sure it is safe--A microwave will heat gound meat to the safe temperature with no problem. I think it is what, 160-165 degrees? You can make meatloaf in the microwave!
mudbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:40 AM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Even fish can be cooked in the microwave. My aunt does it all of the time. It has to be a firm white fish like tilapia or orange roughy. She puts a pat of butter on it, with a little black pepper, and covers it with plastic wrap (to keep it moist- it sort of steams), and cooks it on 3/4 power for just barely a couple minutes and then leaves it in the microwave for a few minutes before checking to make sure it's done.

It was really good, but I've never tried to do it myself. It just seemed like a ridiculously short time to cook it, but I was too afraid of ruining the fish to try it.

When I make jerky, I put the raw beef into a marinade and then put it raw into the dehydrator. How fast the beef soaks up the marinade can vary, so I usually test a piece in the microwave. I also will taste test a new marinade with only a couple pieces of meat this way. I cook it until it is done, and taste the thin little steak. It doesn't taste exactly like the jerky because I cook it until just done rather than try to duplicate jerky, but I can tell if the
marinade is good and if the meat is ready for the dehydrator.

Personally, I don't do poultry in my microwave, except in a crisping bag, because my current microwave is a cheaper model, and it doesn't heat as evenly as my previous model (which was more expensive and had more power).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 12:38 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 272/ticker/200

Height: 5'5

Well, i dunno if its just this particular brand of chicken or something, but i microwaved some chicken the other day, according to package directions, and it was yucky. Had a weird aftertaste. Don't believe ill do it again.
cardsfan2009 is offline   Reply With Quote