Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 08-12-2006, 07:11 PM   #1  
LLV

Default What one food do you eat more than any other?

It just occured to me today, as I was cutting up vidalia onions to put into my pita sammich, than I eat onions more than I eat anything else. I eat them almost every day, I'd say at least 6 days a week. Raw, cooked, it doesn't matter, I'll eat them. And I eat them with just about everything. On sandwiches, in salads, wrapped up in tortillas, in stir-frys - and I even make lowfat baked onion rings. I go through a LOT of onions, I'm constantly having to buy more because I eat so many of them.

So I was curious, is there one food you find yourself eating every day? Or close to it?

Another food I eat regulary is whole wheat pitas. I love stuffing them with yummy things

Last edited by LLV; 08-12-2006 at 07:17 PM.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 07:31 PM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Before I started my current plan (which has pre-set menus), it was definitely peanut butter. I would buy the all-natural kind without sodium (the ONLY ingredient is peanuts), and I would use it in smoothies, banana and peanut butter wraps, sandwiches...
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 07:32 PM   #3  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

My breakfast cereal (Flax Plus from Trader Joe's). I eat it at least four days a week.

I also put onions in just about everything I cook. Can't eat them raw, though--they give me terrible heartburn.

I eat a green salad with dinner almost every day. In the summer that includes cherry tomatoes and cucumber. And I eat tomatoes in a lot of other dishes as well (sandwiches, pasta, cassoroles, soups).

I have non-fat yogurt with wheat germ for a snack almost every day.

Finally, we eat a lot of chicken. Probably at least twice a week. Sometimes I probably make chicken for dinner 7 nights a week. It's versatile and I prepare it lots and lots of different ways, so we don't get bored with it.

- Barbara
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 07:43 PM   #4  
LLV

Oh my gosh, yes, tomatoes is another food I eat a lot of. Especially in summer because I grow my own. I've eaten tomatoes just about every day for the last several weeks.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:22 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I eat cottage cheese almost everyday. It has lots of nice protein and it goes with almost everything ... fruit, vegetables ... I've even had it on sandwiches.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 08:29 PM   #6  
LLV

I like putting cottage cheese on baked potatoes

Never been too much into the peanut butter thing, although I do occasionally get a craving for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:35 PM   #7  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

tomatos
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 09:43 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 272/ticker/200

Height: 5'5

I eat a LOT of frozen fruit. Peaches, blackberries, strawberries, or mixed berries with yogurt or by themselves are part of my day. I love them because fresh fruit goes bad SO quickly, and these dont. I still eat a lot of fresh fruit as well, like apples, mangoes, kiwis, bananas, etc.

I guess that isnt one food, but its one group of food.

Last edited by cardsfan2009; 08-12-2006 at 09:49 PM.
cardsfan2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 09:49 PM   #9  

Ok how do you make your low fat onion rings?
luflic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 10:30 PM   #10  
LLV

Here's a copy of my post re: the onion rings to another member who asked me for the recipe

I don't have the exact nutrition info, but I got this 'recipe', actually, from someone else here on 3FC. Here is the actual copied recipe. How I calculate calories, basically, is I just count the calories for each ingredient. The whole onion, the 2 tbsp. flour, the bread crumbs, etc. I usually only end up using about 1/4 cup of bread crumbs because bread crumbs are so high in calories. So here it is, as it was posted

I love making these and dipping them in ketchup! I wish I could remember who posted this recipe, but kudos to them because they are wonderful. And it's important to leave them in double rings because if you don't, they'll turn almost 'papery' from the heat of the oven because they'll be too thin.

2 large onions -- 1/4" sliced, leave in double rings

2Tbsp. flour

1/4 tsp. salt

pepper to taste

Mix the onion rings with the above ingredients in a zip-top bag until rings are coated. Then dip rings into 1/4 egg substitute (or whites) and then into 1/2 cup bread crumbs until coated. Arrange on baking sheet. Spray tops on rings with non-stick cooking spray and bake at 400 degrees until golden brown.

These turn out so light and crispy you can hardly tell they are healthy!
Old 08-12-2006, 10:35 PM   #11  
Staying on track!!

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/175

100 calorie bags of popcorn
shyla2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 10:37 PM   #12  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Linda - I'm definitely going to have to try those onion rings!

One food I eat almost every day is low fat cottage cheese - usually topped with a small container of Dole Tropical Fruit.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 10:50 PM   #13  
hara hachi bu

I'd say vegetables in general, now. I tend to have 3-4 vegetable dishes that I make, and I rotate them. Most involve spinach, tomatoes, or garlic.

It used to be pastries.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 10:54 PM   #14  
susanb1960

S/C/G: not sure yet

Height: 5'7"

tomatoes, spinach and chicken...YUM!
susanb1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 10:55 PM   #15  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Tomatos, chicken, yogurt. Between those three, it would be difficult to pick one that I eat more of than the other. Just not together
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote