Fish Fish Fish

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Wasn't sure where to put this thread, but I thought HERE is a good place...

I love fish... but I can't cook fish worth a darn! I eat plenty of good things but I want to eat more fish.

Can some of you lovely forumites hook me up with some good (easy!) recipes for fish? Specifically Halibut, Flounder, and Mahi...?

Thanks!
  • I have it! Low sodium soy sauce, ground ginger, green onion, with either sea bass or sword fish, sealed in foil either on the grill or in the oven and wa la! You just put a bit of all ingredients, to taste, in the foil and cook until opaque- depends on the portion size of the fish. Fresh fish is best!
  • I watched a show yesterday on TLC called Taking home Chef. He done a really nice low fat recipe with Halibut. It was called "Halibut Baked in Foil with Carrots, Leeks and Zucchini".

I went online on the TLC site and got the recipe but I haven't tried it yet. Maybe that's something you can do and let us know how it was.

Kim
  • I love poaching fish in a little white wine- put about 1/3 - 1/2 cup wine in a medium saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil for 3-4 min. Put in the fish and cover filets with whatever you like: I like garlic, dill, lemon juice, a little butter, and minced onion. Cover, bring heat down to medium low, and simmer until fish easily flakes with a fork.
  • Do you like tuna filet? Last night I marinated tuna in lime juice, some diced garlic, a tsp of olive oil and a little sea salt & pepper. I let it sit for about 45 minutes & then grilled it. It was soooo good ....& good for me.
  • Mmmmm, fish. I think I'll have some baked cod for lunch tomorrow.

I personally like baking the fish in a bottled Hawaiian marinade I buy from the store. Either that or I'll 'bread' it using Fish Fry. I don't fry it, of course, I bake it. But it gets nice and crispy and is similar to fried fish.
  • Quote: Fresh fish is best!
    That's definitely the truth! And I'm lucky, cause I live on the coast, and can get fresh seafood fished from our local waters on a daily basis!

Thanks for the recipe! - I'll give it a try!
  • Quote: Mmmmm, fish. I think I'll have some baked cod for lunch tomorrow.

I personally like baking the fish in a bottled Hawaiian marinade I buy from the store. Either that or I'll 'bread' it using Fish Fry. I don't fry it, of course, I bake it. But it gets nice and crispy and is similar to fried fish.
    Hmmmm... "fish fry".... baked. That sounds yummy! And healthy! (And EASY!)

Thanks!
  • Quote: Do you like tuna filet? Last night I marinated tuna in lime juice, some diced garlic, a tsp of olive oil and a little sea salt & pepper. I let it sit for about 45 minutes & then grilled it. It was soooo good ....& good for me.
    It's strange... I DO like tuna... in a can... water packed, not oil. But just tuna, as a fish... it's just a little too... I dunno.... "fishy" tasting. Does that make sense? But I bet that lime juice in your recipe cuts some of that fishy taste... I just might try it!

Thanks!
  • Quote: I love poaching fish in a little white wine- put about 1/3 - 1/2 cup wine in a medium saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil for 3-4 min. Put in the fish and cover filets with whatever you like: I like garlic, dill, lemon juice, a little butter, and minced onion. Cover, bring heat down to medium low, and simmer until fish easily flakes with a fork.

WOW! - your recipe made my mouth water!!! Thanks, I'll give it a try! - does it matter what KIND of fish you use this recipe with?
  • Quote: I watched a show yesterday on TLC called Taking home Chef. He done a really nice low fat recipe with Halibut. It was called "Halibut Baked in Foil with Carrots, Leeks and Zucchini".

I went online on the TLC site and got the recipe but I haven't tried it yet. Maybe that's something you can do and let us know how it was.

Kim
    Sounds like it MIGHT BE pretty tasty... however, in my cooking duh-ness, I have to be honest & say that I have NO IDEA what "leek" is!!!
  • Quote: does it matter what KIND of fish you use this recipe with?
    I don't really think so... I've used it with salmon, halibut, tilapia, and rockfish (snapper). Hmm, the only fish I'd probably try before serving to company would be tuna- but then I prefer fresh tuna grilled anyway.
  • Quote: Sounds like it MIGHT BE pretty tasty... however, in my cooking duh-ness, I have to be honest & say that I have NO IDEA what "leek" is!!!
    A leek is a relative of onions. In fact, it looks like a very large green onion (imagine a green onion on steriods). You only use the white part, the green part is too tough to eat. It has a mild onion flavor. It's tasty and very versatile. In my grocery store, they sell it in the produce section by the kale, chard, and other greens.

- Barbara
  • Poached Halibut Provencale
    This is an excellent recipe for halibut, but it does require a little bit of prep, so it might be more of a special occasion dish. It makes a thick, fragrant soup (if you want it less soupy, cut the tomatoes in half). The Herbs de Provence can be a little tricky to find (I got mine at Cost Plus but you can also probably find them at an upscale grocery). If you can't find them, you could use poultry seasoning (add a little lavender, summer savory, and/or ground fennel if you have it).

Bread-Crumb Topping
    - 1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs
    - 2 teaspoons Herbs de Provence
    - 1 teaspoon olive oil
    - 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
    - 1/4 tsp salt

Mix bread crumb topping and set aside.

Oven-Poached Halibut
    - 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
    - 1.5 cups chopped onion (8.5 oz)
    - 2 cups chopped fennel or anise bulb (10 oz)
    - 2-3 tsp bottled minced garlic
    - 1/2 tsp salt
    - 28 oz canned diced tomatoes
    - 1 tsp Herbs de Provence
    - 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
    - 1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
    - 16 oz halibut
    - 1/2 cup white wine

Preheat over to 450. Heat olive oil over medium high heat in large saucepan. Add onion and fennel and saute until tender. Add garlic, salt, tomatoes, and Herbs de Provence. Cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in basil, parsley, and wine.

Pour half of tomato mixture into 9 x 9 pan. Add halibut fillets. Pour remaining tomato mixture over halibut. Bake at 450 for 5 to 15 minutes, until fish flakes easily with a fork.

Sprinkle breadcrumbs over mixture. Bake for 5 minutes more or until breadcrumbs are lightly browned.

Serves 4. Nutrional Info per Serving: 265 calories, 5 grams fat, 1 gram saturated fat, 25 grams carbs, 6 grams fiber, 8 grams sugar, 27 grams protein.
  • Use some thyme, rosemary and olive oil on salmon. You can bake it or grill it. It's really good.