Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-24-2006, 08:09 PM   #1  
This is the Last Time!!!

S/C/G: HW283/GW170

Height: 5'5"

Default Homemade Salsa

Any have any tips tricks for making homemade salsa? I would be specifically interested in if there is an easy way to cut up tomatoes, they are kind of a pain. If any of you have a recipe that is really nummy, that would be appreciated as well. Thanks!
HadEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 08:38 PM   #2  
On stabilization

Height: 5'5

I make a picco de gallo (like salsa, but not as "saucy", I guess) that is really easy and yummy. As far as cutting up tomatoes goes, try using cherry or grape tomatoes - a lot less cutting and usually a lot more flavor. Maybe Roma tomatoes?

Lori's Picco de Gallo
5-6 roma tomatoes, or 2 pints grape tomatoes
1 medium white onion
1 bunch cilantro
1 lime
1 clove garlic (optional)
salt to taste

Dice up tomatoes and onion. Finely chop cilantro and add to tomatoe and onion in a large bowl. Squeeze the juice of lime over the top, add garlic and salt. Mix well and allow to set for an hour to let flavors blend.

I usually try to let mine set for a couple hours at least, but honestly I can't stay out of it that long. I love picco de gallo on sandwiches, with grilled chicken breast, on a salad....
hkychik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 06:08 PM   #3  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

Woot, I'm about to let you'all in on my dad's secret yummy Good Stuff Salsa. It's a smoother salsa great for chips or tacos..ect...

Okay, You'll have to change it up if you want it mild or super duper spicy.

3-4 medium tomatoes
1-2 jalapeños
1 white Onion
1 7oz can tomato hot sause. ( we use El Pato sause, but any tomato sause with spice will work)
some cilantro (parsly)
Lime juice
1-2 cloves of garlic
salt
peper

Just cut the tomatos in quarters. take out the seads and all the juicey watery stuff around the seeds. Cut the onions into quarters, cut the jalapeños into five or six pices and chop the garlic.
Add all this to the blender along with the can of tomatoe hot sause and pulse till it's choped up pretty good. (but not a liquid yet).. then add salt and peper and any other spices you like and blend till it is as chunky or as smooth as you like. taste it to see if it needs more salt or whatever other spice.

Pour this into a bowl. Chop the cilantro as fine as you like and stir that in. Add the lime juice last and stir that in as well.
(tip: Don't add the lime juice in the blender, or it will foam up and you'll have foamy salsa, and that just looks weird.)

you can serve it right away, or wrap in plastic wrap and let it sit in the fridge till needed, the flavores will mix and taste much better.
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:53 PM   #4  

this is (no kidding) the best salsa i've ever had in my life:

the salsa goes as follows (as best my memory allows):
*10 dried ancho chilies- stemmed and seeded
*2 teaspoons ground dried pasilla peppers (which i didn't find. i just whirred some stemmed but not deseeded dried pasilla peppers in ye olde 2 cup chopper which i'm sure is a respectable estimation of 'ground dried pasilla peppers')
*1 container organic cherry tomatoes + 3/4 a misc leftover tomato from the fridge (recipe calls for 5 roma tomatoes)
* 1 tb+ 1 teaspoon salt (eek! it ended up a touch salty, i wish i'd cut it a little)
* 1 teaspoon sugar
* 3 tb white vinegar
* 1/2 c chopped green onions (i used a small handfull of garlic chives as that was what i had on hand)
* 3/4 c chopped cilantro
* 3 tb toasted pumpkin seeds

1) cut tomatoes in 1/2 and place cut side down on a baking sheet and broil till skin is charred

2) add charred tomatoes to a stainless steel sauce pan and add 1 1/2 c h2o, the ancho and pasilla peppers, and the salt and sugar. bring to a boil. reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes stirring occasionally.

3) add white vinegar and continue to cook another minute.

4) add the pumpkin seeds and transfer to your blender/food processor. blend until smooth. i reccommend using an immersion blender if you have one.

5) add onions and cilantro. transfer to another container and chill for several hours.

makes about 2 cups
(recipe from CHOW magazine)
punkrockgrryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:45 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 240/204/170

Height: 5'6

Here is a copycat recipe of Applebee's Pico de Gallo. I made it for a dinner party and it was veery good.

Ingredients:
3 large tomatoes diced
1 large onion diced
2 tablespoons diced Jalapenos
1/2 cup fresh cilantro (diced)
2 teaspoons Salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon white vinegar

Directions: Mix all ingredients together in large container until well blended. Allow to set for at least 6 hours, it is better if allowed to sit overnight.

I agree with hkychick about the Roma tomatoes. They are much firmer than regular tomatoes, and less juicy and seedy. I personally find them easier to handle.
Allikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:36 PM   #6  

I see what you mean about the salt, here's the edited recipe

Recipe from Chow magazine

Now-it’s-perfect Salsa

In what is probably the inevitable punishment for hubris, the recipe for what we called “The Perfect Salsa” in our September/October issue has a fatal error. Due to an editing mistake, what is supposed to be “kosher salt” ended up in the recipe as “salt,” and if, as many did, you just use table salt, the salsa will be way too salty. (”Just salt and heat” was one of our correspondents’ brutal, but true, assessments.) Without changing it to kosher salt, we just adjusted the amount of salt to be appropriate. Here, with our humble apology, is the recipe as it should have read:

Total Time: 35 mins
Active Time: 15 mins
Makes: 2 cups

5 roma tomatoes, cored and halved
10 dried chilies de arbol, stemmed, halved, and seeded
2 teaspoons ground dried pasilla peppers
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons shelled pumpkin seeds
3 tablespoons white vinegar
¼ cup minced green onions
¼ cup chopped cilantro

1. Preheat broiler. Place the tomatoes skin side up on a baking sheet. When the broiler is hot, char the tomatoes until the skins are slightly burned.

2. Remove the tomatoes from oven and place them in a stainless-steel pot. Add the chili de arbol, pasilla, salt, sugar, and 1 ½ cups water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring often.

3. While the tomato mixture is cooking, turn oven to 350ºF and toast pumpkin seeds until just browned. Remove seeds from tray and cool.

4. After the 20 minutes, add the white vinegar to the tomato mixture and cook for 1 minute. Add the toasted pumpkin seeds. Place the mixture in a blender and blend until smooth.

5. Pour the salsa into a container and stir in the green onions and cilantro. Refrigerate for several hours before serving.
surfer376 is offline   Reply With Quote