Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-16-2006, 10:30 AM   #1  

Default power of advertising (Special K)

So my elderly aunt who can't get around was making a shopping list for me to get her some stuff. She said she wanted me to pick up more Special K for her. I wrinkled my nose and said "You like that stuff?" and she said, "You know, it's very good for you. They say on the commercial if you eat it twice a day you can lose an inch on your waist" and I said, "but if you eat ANY cereal in a normal portion twice a day, you'll lose an inch on your waist. Special K has no fiber and no protein" Poor thing, she just kinda looked at me and decided she'd stick w/Cheerios which she said tasted better anyway. I don't know the nutritional profile of Cheerios b/c I don't generally buy them, but I'm sure they have more fiber anyway. Does anybody actually eat Special K?
lipidful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:34 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I always thought Special K was healthy too. Until I actually looked at the nutritional content - low fiber AND high fructose corn syrup. Sugar is the third ingredient.

http://www.kelloggs.com/cgi-bin/bran...=590&company=3

The marketing people at Special K are diabolical geniuses to have managed to have convinced so many people that overly processed crap is healthy. I can't tell you how many diets I tried that started with Special K breakfasts - big bowls of Special K and I was always starving an hour later.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:54 AM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

I used to LOVE Special K. When I was a teenager (and slim), I used to come home from school and eat about four bowls.
Now I have Fibre 1 cereal with blueberries, yogurt and walnuts. It's really yummy.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 12:06 PM   #4  

I don't think I've ever even tasted Special K. Funny that my aunt said it doesn't even have any taste LOL So she's just going to eat Cheerios.
lipidful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 12:15 PM   #5  

Oh, the Special K Red Berries taste pretty good, heh
Old 06-16-2006, 03:01 PM   #6  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I always used to eat Special K. I wasn't trying particularly hard to lose weight, but I always used to cite it as an example of how my diet wasn't that bad and how I didn't deserve to be 260lb. Oops!!!
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 03:50 AM   #7  

I confess, I bought a box of Special K last week, because it was purple The new purple berries one is really nice, and I wanted a change from the oatmeal. In the UK we have less choice of cereals than you guys seem to have. I won't be buying it again, but I have liked eating it this past week
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:17 AM   #8  

Height: 5'-2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kykaree
In the UK we have less choice of cereals than you guys seem to have.
Our lovely neighbours to the south have a lot of stuff that we don't have, too! A lot of cool stuff. Even their dollar stores are exciting!
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 09:10 AM   #9  

Other people's pound shops (dollar stores) are always more exciting than your own, I call it the restaurant meal factor!! You know, your partners dish always looks better than your own!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 09:32 AM   #10  

Height: 5'8.5"

About Special K... exactly! It is the same old processed garbage as most of the other cereals.. .may as well eat Froot Loops LOL. I think this is why it is so important for us each to study for ourselves and find the nutritional content of foods we eat and also to stay away from processed foods for the most part. I consider myself fairly well educated on such but in reading Fast Food Nation I just found out what "natural flavors" in processed foods actually means... YUCK!! According to this book, it often means hundreds of chemicals mixed together until they come up with the flavor of chicken or whatever!

And yes, I love my dollar store LOL... I may stop by there this morning in fact.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 10:12 AM   #11  
no regrets!

S/C/G: 300/300/196

Height: 5' 11"

I have to say, I must be odd because I like the taste of special K.

But I remember last year when I was doing WW and the leader siad that she'd pointed the portion sizes you'd have if you used the special big bowls you got free with 2 boxes of special K cereal, and if you did as they said and only had a small amount to lose, you'd probably be going over your points! The portion sizes in those bowls they gave away for4 the diet were 2 to 3 times bigger than a regular portion.

nice bit of portion control working in their favour (ie- eat more, buy more!)
Vampiric Addiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 11:25 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 280/133/125

I think ALL cereal is great for you if you eat only a serving. Doesn't matter if it's Special K, Fruity Pebbles, Smorz or Total. I eat Special K Red Berries every morning along with some oatmeal and at night for my late night snack I eat two servings of a sugary cereal and I've lost tons of weight.
Diem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:03 AM   #13  

You could lose weight if you ate nothing but white bread every day, that doesn't make it "great" for you. A lot of processed kid's cereals are full of sugar and high fructose corn syrup - 2 things I try to limit in my diet. Can you lose weight eating it? Sure. Is it "great" for you? Heck, no.

"great for you" ingredients of Fruity Pebbles (including Transfat):

Ingredients: RICE, SUGAR, POLYDEXTROSE (SOURCE OF FIBER), HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL (COCONUT AND PALM KERNEL OILS), SALT, CONTAINS LESS THAN 0.5% OF NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, RED 40, YELLOW 6, TURMERIC OLEORESIN (COLOR), YELLOW 5, BLUE 1, BLUE 2, BHA (TO HELP PROTECT FLAVOR). VITAMINS AND MINERALS: NIACINAMIDE (B VITAMIN), REDUCED IRON, ZINC OXIDE (SOURCE OF ZINC), VITAMIN B6, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), THIAMIN MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), FOLIC ACID (B VITAMIN), VITAMIN B12, VITAMIN D.

Polydextrose health concerns:
Because Polydextrose, and its sorbitol component, are not properly digested by humans, it is recommended by some experts that it not be given to children. Despite these warnings, Polydextrose is a key ingredient in many popular children's cereals such as Fruity Pebbles.

Mmmm big bowl of rice, sugar, fake sugar and transfat!
Old 06-21-2006, 08:02 PM   #14  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87
Mmmm big bowl of rice, sugar, fake sugar and transfat!
LOL well said!!!! No, thanks!!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote