Low-Cal Company-friendly recipes

• Or at least, my company last night liked it. I sort of made it up (last minute dinner guests) but it went over well...and it was ridiculously easy and had a grand total of 4 ingredients (plus salt, pepper, cooking spray).

Serves 4

Two 8 ounce boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
    1.5 cups fresh baby spinach, washed and trimmed.
    4 laughing cow lowfat garlic and herb cheese wedges
    2 tsp. dijon mustard
    salt and pepper to taste
    cooking spray

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Cut each chicken breast in half to create two equal sized pieces (note: don't cut lengthwise. Cut so the pieces are as close to square as you can get, not long thin strips). Place each piece between two pieces of plastic wrap, and pound until very thin (try to get the pieces as evenly pounded as possible - its easier to roll the chicken if the pieces have roughly equal sides). Season each pounded breast on both sides with salt and pepper.

In a small bowl, mix together the laughing cow wedges with the dijon mustard and a little bit of salt and pepper. Spread each pounded chicken breast with a quarter of the mixture, being sure to spread all the way to the edges.

On top of the cheese mixture, layer 1/4 of the trimmed and washed spinach. Leave a half inch seam without any spinach at one end of the chicken breast.

Carefully roll each chicken breast piece around the filling, starting with the spinach-covered end and rolling toward the seam, and secure with a toothpick.

Spray a nonstick pan with a light coat of cooking spray and heat pan over medium high heat. When hot, sear each side of the chicken breast rolls until golden. When all sides have been seared, place in a baking dish. Bake at 375 degrees until chicken is cooked through (use a meat thermometer if you have one, it took about 15 minutes). Let rest 5 minutes before serving. I sliced mine before serving for presentation purposes, but it isn't necessary. I served with wholewheat couscous and lemon garlic green beans.

Nutritional info per piece:

Calories - 159
    Fat - 5g
    Carbs - 1.5g
    Protein - 24g
    Fiber - .5g

Anyone else have any?
  • Sounds yumm! Do you have the recipe for the green beans?
  • The green beans are less recipe and more just stuff you throw together.

In a pan over med-high heat, cook trimmed green beans in a spray of cooking spray. Cook these until they're almost crisp-tender, adding 2-3 tablespoons of chicken broth every couple minutes to keep the bottom of the pan somewhat moist so they don't burn, and so they get a little steam to help them cook. When they're almost tender, add two finely minced garlic cloves and cook until the garlic is slightly toasted and light brown - then IMMEDIATELY add a bit more chicken broth and the juice of a lemon (you have to cool it down so the garlic doesn't burn - burnt garlic is yucky). Serve immediately. I'd estimate it probably takes 15-18 minutes to cook green beans through this way - sometimes, to speed it up, I'll add a quarter cup of chicken stock to the pan and put a lid on so the green beans steam)

Everyone seems to love this - its basically a stir-fried green bean (except in chicken stock and a spritz of cooking spray) with toasted garlic and a hint of lemon. They go over well with company.
  • You have the best recipes. I made the potato salad from the 100 lb forum and everyone in my family LOVED it! Thanks for sharing.