Pasta salad--NOT a diet question...

• We are having a barbecue tomorrow--10 people. I am making pasta salad--you know the kind with the tricolor pasta, cut up vegetables, a bottle of (lite) Italian dressing and then you mix it all up with Salad Supreme seasoning.

OK--my question is....can I make this today, stick it in the refrigerator and serve it tomorrow? Or do you think it will be a big gummy mess by then? It would be easier to do this today than tomorrow when I have 4 (all under age 5) grandkids underfoot!

I know this isn't exactly on topic, but I need an answer quick so I can get started and this is the best place to get a quick answer! HELP!
  • Well, ideally you'd dress it tomorrow. But you should hve moderately ungummy results by dressing the salad only after the pasta/veggies are ICE COLD. Hot pasta soaks up dressing like a sponge, ensuring a sloppy mess.
  • I never had a problem with pasta salad getting gummy however it can at times seem dry because the pasta soaks up the dressing. I often put my dressing on the day it is made and let the pasta absorb the flavors, then add olive oil and red wine vinegar the day it is served.
  • Oh thank you--so I can at least cook the pasta and mix it up with the veggies (except the tomatoes--I will wait til tomorrow for them)...and I can just stick that in the fridge and put the dressing and salad supreme on it tomorrow. GREAT...Sounds like a PLAN! Thank you!