Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2001, 08:07 PM   #1  
Canadian Chick

Thumbs down Lasagna Lovers!

These are my favorite version of rolled lasagna. Even my fiance likes them and he thought he wouldn't because there is no meat in it. Its very filling. The recipe calls two rolls a serving but really that's only if you aren't eating it with anything else. Throw in your salad and a piece of bread and one roll is plenty. Also if I remember right it made more than 8 rolls- more like 12 or more. I freeze the extras in individual containers and it works great for something quick and healthy to take to work.

Green and White Lasagna Bundles

Makes 8 roll-ups, 4 servings

8 lasagna noodles
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
15 oz contziner of reduced-fat ricotta cheese
1/4c grated parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp salt
10 oz frozen chopped spinach (or broccoli) thawed & drained
1/4c snipped fresh chives
1 1/2c reduced-fat spaghetti sauce
1/2c finely shredded reduced fat mozzarella
snipped fresh chives for garnish

Cook the lasagna noodles according to the directions on the package. Drain and set aside. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, stir together the egg whites, ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese and salt. Set the cheese mixture aside. Lightly spray an unheated large skillet with olive oil no stick spray. Add the spinach and chives. Cook and stir over mediumheat for five minutes. Add the spinach mixture to the cheese mixture. Stir until well combined. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread a thin layer of spaghetti sauce in the bottom of a 12"x7 1/2"x2" (I used a 9x13) baking dish. To assemble, place one noodle on a piece of wax paper. Then place 1/4 cup of the spinach mixture in a mound 1/4" from the short end. Roll the noodle around the spinach mixture.* Place the roll-up, seam side down, in the baking dish. Repeat making the rolls-ups with the remaining noodles and spinach mixture. Pour the remaining spaghetti sauce over the roll-ups in the baking dish. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese on top and cover with foil. Bake for 35-45 minutes until bubblly. If desired garnish with the chives.

Per serving (2 rolls): Calories 427; fat 9 g, % of Calories from Fat 18%; Cholesterol 39mg, WW points 8 points.

*Instead of wrapping the whole noodle around a mound of filling, I spread the filling down the length of the noodle so you have flavor throughout.
Old 08-20-2001, 08:28 PM   #2  
Canadian Chick

Default Easy Cheesy Lasagna

I haven't tried this one yet but it sounds really good and it only has 7 points per serving

Easy Cheesy Lasagna

1/2c chopped onions
1/2c coarsely chopped carrots
1 sweet red pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2c reduced sodium spaghetti sauce
8 oz can stwed tomatoes (with juices)
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
6 lasagna noodles
2 egg whites
15 oz container reduced fat ricotta cheese
1/2c grated parmesan cheese
2c finely shredded reduced fat mozzarella

Lightly spray an unheated large skillet or saucepan with olive oil nonstick spray. Add the onions, carrots, red peppers, and garlic. Cook and stir over meium heat for five minutes. Stir in spaghetti sauce, stewed tomoates (with juices), basil, oregano. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat. Simmer uncovered, about 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Meanwhile, cook the lasagna noodles according to the package directions. Drain and set aside. In a medium bowl, stir together egg whites, ricotta cheese, and 1/4 cup of the parmesan cheese until well combined. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. To assemble spread a thin layer of spaghetti sauce mixture in the bottom of a 12"x7 1/2"x2" baking dish. Place three of the noodles in a single layer in the dish. Spread with half of the cheese mixture. Top with half of the remaming sauce. Sprinkle half of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers using the remaining noodles, cheese mixture, sauce and mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese on top. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting and serving. per serving: Calories 321, Fat 9g, % Calories from Fat 27%, Cholesterol 39mg, 7 points.
Old 08-20-2001, 08:50 PM   #3  
Canadian Chick

Default Spinach Carrot Lasagna Rolls

Spinach Carrot Lasagna Rolls

makes 4 servings of 2 lasagna rolls

8 lasagna rolls
5 oz spinach fresh or thawed
3 large carrots, grated
2c ricotta cheese
2-3c tomato-based pasta sauce
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 vidalia onion
2 cloves garlic, chopped or minced
1/2c pine nuts
1/2c golden raisins
1/2c grated mozzarella
1/4tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp pepper
1/4tsp salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile heat oil in a skillet and saute onions and garlic until onion is softened. Add pine nuts and saute for one or two more minutes. Add carrots, raisins, and spinach and saut 5-7 more minutes or until spinach is wilted, if using fresh spinach. turn off, and add ricotta cheese, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Spread 1/8 of the ricotta mixture on each of the lasagna noodles and roll up each of the noodles. Spray a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray, and place the lasagna seam side down in the pan. Cover with pasta sauce and sprinkle with mozzarella. Bake until thoroughly heated and chheese is golden, approximately 15-20 minutes.
Old 08-20-2001, 09:33 PM   #4  
Canadian Chick

Default Roll Out The Lasagna!

Roll Out The Lasagna!

Makes 5 servings

8oz spinach lasagna noodles
4tbsp chopped fresh basil
1c chopped onion
10oz box frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and squeezed
2 cloves garlic mince
1 medium red bell pepper, diced fine
10 oz box frozen chopped broccoli, defrost
1/2c nonfat sour cream
salt and pepper to taste
1c nonfat ricotta cheese
3tbsp nonfat parmesan cheese
3tbsp shredded nonfat mozzarella cheese
2 1/2c lowfat marinara sauce

Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Saute onion, garlic, and red pepper in olive oil and set aside. In a food processor bowl, pulse sour cream, cheeses, basil, spinach and broccoli. Add salt and pepper to taste. preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 10x13 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place 2 cups Marinara sauce in the pan. Place a noodle on a flat surface and with a spatula spread the cheese and vegetable mixture, the the onion mixture on the noodle thinly from each end. ROll up the noodle with filling on the inside. Place in pan, seam side up on top of marinara sauce. Place roll-ups side by side. When complatede, use the remaining sauce to drizzle over top of noodles. Bake for about 40 minutes or until the roll-ups are browned and sauce is bubbling. Per serving: 178 calories with 42.9% from fat, 12.5g protein, 9.1g total fat, 14.6g Carbohydrates, 3.8g fiber, 212mg Sodium, 29.9 mg cholesterol, 4 WW Points
Old 08-20-2001, 09:41 PM   #5  
Canadian Chick

Default Labrador Lasagna

Labrador Lasagna

Serves 5

10 lasagna noodles, cooked
1c nonfat cottage cheese
1c frozen chopped spinach-thawed and drained
1 1/2c skim milk
2tbsp white flour
1/4c chopped tomato
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp oregano

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine the cottage cheese and spinach. Mix together. Next take the cooked lasagna noodles and lay out on a cutting board. Spread two tbsps of the cottage cheese mixture along the inside of the noodle and rollup each one. Add noodle roll ups to a 9x13 pan that has been sprayed with nonstick spray, and set aside. To make sauce, mix white flour and milk in a small saucepan over meium heat, stirring continuously. Add chopped tomato and minced garlic to the saucepan. Continue stirring. Pour the sauce over the rolled up noodles and garnish with oregano. Bake for 20 minutes, then cool before serving. Per serving (two rolls): 111 calories, 0.4g fat, 1.4g fibre, 70mg sodium, 2 WW Points
Old 08-20-2001, 10:19 PM   #6  
Canadian Chick

According to what the recipe says you should only get 8 noodles out of this but when I made it I ended up with 18! I will include the nutrtion information for the recipe with 8 and for the recipe with 18. You might want to make sure you have extra lasagna noodles in case the same thing happens to you. I didn't put as much filling on each noodle as it suggests because I put on as much as it would hold without filling squishing out all over the place.

Spinach Lasagna Rolls -serves 8 (supposedly)

10 oz frozen chopped spinach
8 lasagna noodles
1 large onion
1 medium green pepper
nonstick cooking spray
16 oz can of tomatoes
1/2 tsp dried basil
8 oz can of tomato sauce
1/2tsp sugar
2c lowfat cottage or ricotta cheese
1/2c grated parmesan cheese
1 beaten egg
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg

Cook spinach and lasagna noodles separately according to package directions. Drain and set aside. For the sauce, chop onion, green pepper. Spray a large cold saucepan with nonstick spray coating; heat over medium heat. Add onion, green pepper, mushrooms, garlic. Cook until vegetables are tender. Cut up tomatoes and crush basil. Stir undrained tomatoes, basil, tomato sauce, sugar and 1/4 tsp pepper into the vegetables. Bring to boiling, reduce heat. Simmer uncovered, 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Meanwhil for filling, in a bowl, stir together spinach, cheeses, egg and nutmag. Spread a scant 1/2c spinach mixture on each noodle. Roll up each noodle, jelly-roll style, beginning at the short end. Spoon 1 cup of sauce mixture into a 12x7 1/2x 2 inch bakinh dish. Place rolls seam side down in the dish. Spoon on remaining sauce. Cover with plastic wrap, chill for 2-24 hours. Before serving, remove plastic wrap, cover with foil and bake in a 375 degree oven for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly.

Per serving with 8 servings: 147 Calories, 11g protein, 3g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 21g carbohydrates, 3g fiber, 329 mg sodium, 33mg cholesterol, 3 WW points

Per Serving with 18 servings: 94 calories, 6 g protein, 2 g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 15g carbohydrates, 2g fiber, 147 mg, Sodium, 15mg cholesterol, 2 WW Points
Closed Thread